New Husqvarna 550 XP (Frustration to joy experience)

/ New Husqvarna 550 XP (Frustration to joy experience) #1  

Red Eye

Tractor
kubota L6060, JD Model A, Grader, Excavator, Dump Truck, Harley Softail, KTM 500xcw
About two months ago, I decided to do some reading/research towards an upgrade to a new chainsaw.

Currently owning bigger saws, a (357xp and 372xp) and a smaller saws (350(older) and T540 top handle) I decided to pick up a new 550XP with a 20" bar.

It was not without apprehension, because of the volume of complaints that have been posted about this saw. (I had three different dealers try and steer me towards Stihl and Echo saws, even though I said I wanted to stick with a Husqvarna brand)

During my first tank of gas, I experienced the dreaded "hot start" problem. I was in quite a fret that evening, needless to say, and was prepared to take the saw back for a refund.

After spending more time on the internet, getting tips both here on Tractor by Net and other forums like the Arborist, I learned that I was not using the saw properly as per directions, so I made notes on a piece of paper to take with me.

Next day, I fired it up, found a big log, and cut "cookies" for 3 or 4 minutes, holding the throttle wide open. Within the first minute, and the saw began to cut like on steroids, but I kept it pinned for the full duration as told as per directions. Cookie after cookie... must have cut about 3 dozen of them.....Apparently the saw's computer has to judge and set the mixture based on ambient conditions.

After this "computer set", the saw is incredible.

It will sit there and idle happily if that's what you want.

Or you can work it real hard and instantly shut it off "hot".

The "hot start" issue is now a non issue. Just follow the procedure, set the high idle, de-compress, purge and it one pull start every time.

I even tried a deliberate hot flood. No problem. Hold it wide open and she will start on about 4 or 5 pulls.

This saw is lightweight, great power, starts and runs reliably, no smoke at all.

I am a fussy old bugger and it is not often I am "as tickled" about something I purchased.

Thought I would share my.... initial frustration -turned - to - joy experience..... This is a great saw.

/ New Husqvarna 550 XP (Frustration to joy experience) #2  
Nice hear all is well I have 4 Husky's and 1 Poland everyone had it's quirks for me to work out now they all start within 1 or 2 pulls.

/ New Husqvarna 550 XP (Frustration to joy experience) #3  
I switched my 550xp to 3/8 chain, 16" bar, and I absolutely LOVE that saw/combo!

standard.jpg

It just works perfect every time I use it, and the 3/8 chain is a BIG improvement too.

SR

/ New Husqvarna 550 XP (Frustration to joy experience) #4  
3/8 full chisel chain is where it's at. I'd love to have a 550 XP. I have a 372 XP, but until I get the wood cut into logs and lifted up with the tractor it's too much saw. I have a Husky 353 pulling 3/8 chain, but it's only good for hardwood up to about 6" before it bogs down. How much difference is there between a 550 XP and a MS 261? A buddy has a MS261, and its a pretty sweet saw. The 261 is about 40 times better than the dreaded Farm boss.

Edit my 353 is 3.3 hp vs 3.75 hp of the 550 XP. I don't think that would make much difference.

/ New Husqvarna 550 XP (Frustration to joy experience) #5  
Edit my 353 is 3.3 hp vs 3.75 hp of the 550 XP. I don't think that would make much difference.

I think a big difference beyond the 13% power increase going up to a 550xp or 18% going to a MS261 (based on specs, but subject to real world variability) is the computerized carbs on these models.

How often do you tune the carb on your 353? If you're not tweaking that H jet every time the temperature, humidity, size of wood that you're cutting, pair of underwear you're wearing etc. changes, then your saw isn't making it's rated HP. A saw with autotune or m-tronic will automatically adjust to be perfectly tuned all the time. This is a BIG difference.

I think between those saws, it's a tossup. Without looking, I'd guess the husky might be a little lighter and the Stihl a touch more HP, but you'd have to look at the specs side by side. If I was gonna buy one of those saws it'd be the Stihl simply because of dealer support and to keep my saws and bars all compatible. I don't have a Husqvarna dealer close to me, and have the pleasure of having a mediocre Stihl dealer right on Main St.

Alright, I'm done, I won't say "Stihl" anymore in this Husky thread.;)

Red Eye, I'm glad you dropped in to tell us about the 550!

/ New Husqvarna 550 XP (Frustration to joy experience) #6  
I'd buy the Husky out of the MS261 vs a 550 XP. I have both dealers in town. The Stihl dealer prices his saws at full MSRP and won't budge. The Husky dealer gives me a deal. I prefer Husky anyway. The Stihl is only rated at .5 more HP, and who knows how accurate that rating is? My 353 is rated at .2 hp less than a Farm boss, but will cut faster.

/ New Husqvarna 550 XP (Frustration to joy experience) #7  
Weight of the saw is a big deal to me...

The 550xp is the most power with the least weight of ANY saw in it's class, and I'm here to tell ya, my 550xp has REALLY good power

standard.jpg

and always runs perfect, idling, wide open or anything in between!

SR

/ New Husqvarna 550 XP (Frustration to joy experience) #8  
About two months ago, I decided to do some reading/research towards an upgrade to a new chainsaw.

Currently owning bigger saws, a (357xp and 372xp) and a smaller saws (350(older) and T540 top handle) I decided to pick up a new 550XP with a 20" bar.

It was not without apprehension, because of the volume of complaints that have been posted about this saw. (I had three different dealers try and steer me towards Stihl and Echo saws, even though I said I wanted to stick with a Husqvarna brand)

During my first tank of gas, I experienced the dreaded "hot start" problem. I was in quite a fret that evening, needless to say, and was prepared to take the saw back for a refund.

After spending more time on the internet, getting tips both here on Tractor by Net and other forums like the Arborist, I learned that I was not using the saw properly as per directions, so I made notes on a piece of paper to take with me.

Next day, I fired it up, found a big log, and cut "cookies" for 3 or 4 minutes, holding the throttle wide open. Within the first minute, and the saw began to cut like on steroids, but I kept it pinned for the full duration as told as per directions. Cookie after cookie... must have cut about 3 dozen of them.....Apparently the saw's computer has to judge and set the mixture based on ambient conditions.

After this "computer set", the saw is incredible.

It will sit there and idle happily if that's what you want.

Or you can work it real hard and instantly shut it off "hot".

The "hot start" issue is now a non issue. Just follow the procedure, set the high idle, de-compress, purge and it one pull start every time.

I even tried a deliberate hot flood. No problem. Hold it wide open and she will start on about 4 or 5 pulls.

This saw is lightweight, great power, starts and runs reliably, no smoke at all.

I am a fussy old bugger and it is not often I am "as tickled" about something I purchased.

Thought I would share my.... initial frustration -turned - to - joy experience..... This is a great saw.

My 550xp is my favorite saw. Great power to weight ratio, runs smooth, idles well. Ripped down a pine log when I bought it new to set the processor. I run it with a 16" bar and .325 chain, it's my go to saw for general use. I have a 372 and 395 for when things get bigger. I was hesitant about autotune when I bought it, but it's been wonderful.

/ New Husqvarna 550 XP (Frustration to joy experience) #9  
I have a 545 with 16" bar that is awesome!

I had the hot start problem and got so mad I almost threw it!

I called my friend that has one and he said you need to read the manual, then told me how to start it.

I like it so much, I bought a jonsered 2252 to keep it company.

/ New Husqvarna 550 XP (Frustration to joy experience) #10  
1459561667109.jpg twins!