Chainsaw versus max. bar length?

/ Chainsaw versus max. bar length? #1  

CobyRupert

Tractor
JD 5075E
What's the biggest bar that I can (should) put on a 57cc saw (for just a few cuts on one big tree)?

I've ran a firewood saws for about 20+ years and have had no problem running a Husky 55 (53cc) with a 16" bar. My other "big" (not really, but bigger) saw is a Husky 257 (57 cc, 3.6hp (2.7kW)) with a 16" (but maybe a 18") bar.
97% of my use is limbing/firewood, so I don't mind those rare occasions when I have a few cuts on the rare big trunk where you might have to hit it from two sides to get through it with a 16" bar. For me I'd rather run a lighter saw all day when you don't really need that big saw horsepower for 95% of the cuts.

I say this because despite all the suggestions I'll get to go spend $800+ on a professional grade saw that weighs 1/2 ton, I don't want one!

A pretty big tree (elm?) fell over in the field, and from the way it sets, I'm thinking I want a (temporary) bigger/biggest bar on the 57cc to make those ~1/2 dozen cuts on the trunk.

Husky says the biggest you should put on the 57cc (and 53cc no matter what size chain pitch?) is 20". In reality, could I go bigger (24") and just baby it? I really want "reach", not horsepower and speed.

Anybody have any insight, experience or suggestions?
(Other than buy a bigger saw :rolleyes:)

tree.jpg

/ Chainsaw versus max. bar length? #2  
B&C length has more to do with power than CC's.

Look at stihl. They have a 50cc saw with (261) with more power than a 56cc saw (291). And the 361 at 59cc has about a full hp more than the 291.

Then there is chain type, pitch, sprocket teeth (gearing), hardwood or softwood, etc.

Really not a general rule of thumb for these things.

That said, I'd feel comfortable with your 57cc saw wearing an 18-20" bar all day long. For ocassional use big stuff, I'd be okay with the 24" bar but would get skip or semi-skip chain

/ Chainsaw versus max. bar length?
The Husky 257 (57cc) is rated at 3.6 hp (2.7kW) at 9000 rpm.

Good idea on the skip chain (if I can find it locally).

/ Chainsaw versus max. bar length? #4  
It really depends on the exact model of the saw... My Jonsered 2260 60cc pro quality saw will pull a 24" bar, no problem at all!

IF you like Husqvarna, buy their 562xp with a 24" bar and you will be happy with it, I have it's cousin, the Jonsered 2260 I mentioned above, I love the saw.

SR

/ Chainsaw versus max. bar length? #5  
I have a Stihl MS250 with a 18" bar. I wouldn't want a longer bar on it buts its rated at 3.0 hp and 45 cc. I would think your bigger saw would pull a 20" really easy and maybe a 24" would be pushing it. The skip teeth is a great idea. With a sharp chain, mine will almost pull itself into the wood to hard and try and kill itself.

/ Chainsaw versus max. bar length? #6  
I'd think I'd find a neighbor with a longer bar and let him do it myself. That is a nasty position for a tree to be in to buck. Thats a saw pincher, body crusher tree.

/ Chainsaw versus max. bar length? #7  
The longer bar will work for occasional use with the right chain and operated correctly. Ie. Take time and don't overheat the saw.

/ Chainsaw versus max. bar length? #8  
To me it comes down to balance first, and power second. My Stihl 461 stays balanced with a 28" ES Light bar, but a standard 28" bar would be nose heavy and awkward to handle. The motor won't care either way, but you the operator will get pretty annoyed after using a nose heavy saw for a couple hours.

For a 57cc saw, I'd say 20" max, but if it's nose heavy, go shorter.

/ Chainsaw versus max. bar length? #9  
I was in your situation and few years ago. I found a chain left in one of my rentals, and made a longer bar out of two others to fit... now have a 22" bar for my 025's.

I don't use it often, but when I need it, it's handy. If I need a real saw, I go borrow my buddy's ms 650 with 36" bar!

/ Chainsaw versus max. bar length?
I'd think I'd find a neighbor with a longer bar and let him do it myself. That is a nasty position for a tree to be in to buck. Thats a saw pincher, body crusher tree.
Oh yeah it is. Slow and steady with this one. Getting her down the rest of the way is the most tricky part. The trunk is still a good 14"-16" thick at about 15' above ground. (That's the problem when it falls on the branch heavy field side). Cutting the big trunk is my secondary problem. Think twice, cut once, cause it plays for keeps.

The longer bar will work for occasional use with the right chain and operated correctly. Ie. Take time and don't overheat the saw.
:thumbsup: Yeah, just for very occasional use, so I'm not that worried about balance.
t2.jpg