Which small chainsaw ?

/ Which small chainsaw ? #1  

houser52

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota M7060HD, Kubota L3600
A little background first. I already have a 60cc Husky for big stuff and looking for a small saw (30cc-35cc) to cut saplings, smaller limbs and trimming the edges around my 18 acres of planted pines. All cutting will be done at ground level. I don't need or want a saw bigger than 35cc.

I've been researching small chainsaws and have read everything I can find. I've narrowed it down to an Echo cs-310 or a Stihl ms170 rear handle saws. Most of the reviews and comments are more than a few years old and very few current reviews are out there.

I will be buying one of those saws from a full service dealer and not a big box store. I want to keep the saw in stock condition too.

Which one of those two are you using now, how do you like it and would you buy it again?

/ Which small chainsaw ? #2  
I know it's not answering your question, but for that task, I prefer a straight shaft trimmer with bike handles. Put a blade on it like the Stihl chisel-tooth circular saw blade. Cuts very well, bending down, and a lot safer than using a chainsaw for this purpose.

STIHL Trimmer Chisel Tooth Circular Saw Blade | STIHL USA

I run one of those on a 36cc Stihl FS-130. More expensive than a 36cc chainsaw? Absolutely, but I perform the task frequently enough that it's worth it.

/ Which small chainsaw ? #3  
I use a Still ms170 and it is a very good little saw. Keep old gas away from it , like every small saw,and it will do a good job for small stuff.
I use a Husqvarna 455 for bigger stuff, but it*s allot heavier.

/ Which small chainsaw ?
I use a Still ms170 and it is a very good little saw. Keep old gas away from it , like every small saw,and it will do a good job for small stuff.
I use a Husqvarna 455 for bigger stuff, but it*s allot heavier.

Thanks.
How has your 170 been as far as cranking? Some old reviews have said that sometimes it may take a dozen pulls or more to crank. That was one of the few negatives I saw about the 170.

/ Which small chainsaw ? #5  
I've narrowed it down to an Echo cs-310 or a Stihl ms170 rear
handle saws.

I have owned and fixed the MS170, and I am not impressed by the quality of Stihl's cheapest
consumer-grade saw. OTOH, Echo acquired Shindaiwa several years ago, and they tell me
that most or all of their saws are now based on Shindaiwa technology. That's a good thing, IMO,
and my Shindy 377 (37cc) is my favorite rear-handle smaller saw.

I regularly use 5 saw sizes: battery-powered polesaw, tophandle saw (26-34cc), the 377, a
Husky 455, and a Husky 2100. I really love the convenience and weight of the tophandle
saws, a class of saw usually used by pros. I usually keep one of my tophandles on my
tractor.

Consider the Echo CS-271T, if you want Echo. The cheapest Stihl tophandle will be more
than $100 over that one.

/ Which small chainsaw ? #6  
I had a echo 310 in the shop and it was gutless for a little saw. Be warned. The little 180 I gave dad for Christmas would outcut it big time.

Also look at the husky 435. I was impressed with the ones I have had in. Cutting little saws.

/ Which small chainsaw ? #7  
I have owned and fixed the MS170, and I am not impressed by the quality of Stihl's cheapest
consumer-grade saw. OTOH, Echo acquired Shindaiwa several years ago, and they tell me
that most or all of their saws are now based on Shindaiwa technology. That's a good thing, IMO,
and my Shindy 377 (37cc) is my favorite rear-handle smaller saw.

I regularly use 5 saw sizes: battery-powered polesaw, tophandle saw (26-34cc), the 377, a
Husky 455, and a Husky 2100. I really love the convenience and weight of the tophandle
saws, a class of saw usually used by pros. I usually keep one of my tophandles on my
tractor.

Consider the Echo CS-271T, if you want Echo. The cheapest Stihl tophandle will be more
than $100 over that one.

I use the Top handle 271T for my all around saw. First pull start all the time.

/ Which small chainsaw ? #8  
Either is an excellent choice. I have an Echo 330T and would buy another in a heartbeat.

/ Which small chainsaw ? #9  
I just bought my first Echo, a 490?, about 50cc. Couldn't be happier. FWIW all my other (6) saws are Stihl.
There are a few sites where I've read others experiance, little to no negative comments on the Echo and everyone was amazed at their low cost. Most of these comments were from loyal Stihl or Husky guy's!

/ Which small chainsaw ? #10  
The best small rear handle saw I have seen in the last couple years is the new Echo CS-361P. It will out-cut the larger CS-400, but it's lighter than the CS-310. It does cost $400, but you get what you pay for with chainsaws, and this one is amazing. I plan to order one myself.

The Stihl 170 is a decent saw, but unremarkable. Most homeowner Stihls are fairly unremarkable in terms of power, weight, and cost.