3/8" Vs .325 chain cutting ability

/ 3/8" Vs .325 chain cutting ability #21  
For milling with a chainsaw, you need to go to a "chainsaw milling" specific forum, that's where you will get info from plenty of guys that have LOT'S of chainsaw milling experience, and have it all figured out!
SR

Good idea! Thanks for your help.

/ 3/8" Vs .325 chain cutting ability #22  
Rob,
Not only have I never run a 395, I've never seen one in person. To make matters worse, my Stihl dealer has recently become the local Husky dealer and one of his salesmen told me he'd never seen a 395 either. I don't think I've known of a chainsaw miller to complain that his saw had too much power though.
For milling a 395 should be good, I missed the part that you would be milling lumber with it...

LOT's of 395's around here... My bother stopped at a farm estate sale, there was a near NEW 395 sitting there and when he asked the price, the woman said $150.00. lol

I offered him $300.00 for it, but he said he had to keep it, because his son liked it too much!

SR

/ 3/8" Vs .325 chain cutting ability #23  
Thank You all for your input to my original question, I went with the 3/8" on my new 562XP with 20" bar. Other option I was looking at was the 550XP with the .325
Bob

I have a 562XP and a 20" bar with 3/8" chain and feel is a perfect combination for this saw and my oak trees. I also have been watching 550XPs (will use a 16" bar) for a good sale price from an authorized dealer as a replacement for my aging 353 that has a 16" bar. Will then use the 353 strictly as a limbing saw. But XPs are hard to find on sale, although I got my 562XP two years ago for a good price.

/ 3/8" Vs .325 chain cutting ability #24  
If you're using the saw for milling, there are special chains available specifically for that purpose. Here's a LINK to a website with a discussion of saw chains for milling.

For chainsaws used for regular saw uses, the size of the chain needs to be matched to the size of the saw motor and bar length.

As an example, I have a Stihl MS261 (50cc motor). I wanted an 18-inch bar on the saw. I could have used either .325 or 3/8 chain. I use .325 with the 18-inch bar because the saw cuts faster with the smaller chain as it turns more RPM in the cut with that length bar & chain.

With a shorter bar I could have used the 3/8 chain and gotten the same cutting speed as the motor will turn the larger chain as fast because it is a smaller length of chain.

/ 3/8" Vs .325 chain cutting ability #25  
I have an 026 Pro W/Muffler Mod that I run a 20" bar and 3/8 chain only for limbing. I use 3/8 because all of my other larger saws use 3/8. I have no issues.

/ 3/8" Vs .325 chain cutting ability #26  
I have a 395 and 394. They are great saws with far better air filtration than the germans offered at the time. I find them to be a bit more peaky than my 066's.

I run 325 chain on my 42-62cc saws. Cuts faster and smoother than 3/8, taking less power to run. Did run 3/8 on a few for a while but found the 325 worked better for that range of saws

/ 3/8" Vs .325 chain cutting ability #27  
I absolutely HATE .325 chain!

It dulls faster if you have any dirt on the logs at all and is a PITA to sharpen as the teeth are smaller... Also, if you have any "pinch" when cutting logs or limbs that have tension, and the chain is the least bit loose, the chain comes off the bar much easier...

One of the first things I did to my new 550xp, was to switch it over to 3/8 chain, :thumbsup:

standard.jpg

what an improvement!

Did I mention, I HATE .325 chain!??

SR