Saw Guru's Please Advise.

/ Saw Guru's Please Advise. #11  
Ran a 28" on a 57cc, just for one tree on special occasion. Sure, bigger saws could of done those 16 trunk cuts faster, big whoop. 97.5% of the cuts required to cut up the tree will be other cuts, and lighter saw for me means going longer without a break and getting more done.
Had to turn up the chain oiler as much as possible on the small saw and make sure nothing overheated. Slow and steady might not win the race, but got it done for way cheaper.

This is my 1st dive into long bars. I have cut hundreds of 28" trees with a 20" bar. My 28" bar and chains are on order and I can't wait to try this out. It's not something ill be messing with often, I Hope! I burn 12 cords per year and keep 2 years worth on hand. I've just never looked into doing it the right way. Thanks.
As Coby pointed out make sure you are providing enough oil to the bar.

Stihl, perhaps in response to EPA or whatever became really stingy with oil and I think they "tune" their oilers for THEIR chains. You 044 might be before they changed the oil output.

I was used to "tuning" the oiler by turning the adjusting screw until I threw droplets of oil off the bar at WOT. On both of my 660's this was not possible with my longer bars and non-Stihl chains. However I was able to upgrade them with what is now called a "high output oil pump". Now if you buy a Stihl in Australia (and I imagine other countries) that's the oiler that comes standard. If your oiler won't keep up your chain & bar will get REAL hot. In that case just take a break to let it cool down and repeat.

/ Saw Guru's Please Advise.
As Coby pointed out make sure you are providing enough oil to the bar.

Stihl, perhaps in response to EPA or whatever became really stingy with oil and I think they "tune" their oilers for THEIR chains. You 044 might be before they changed the oil output.

I was used to "tuning" the oiler by turning the adjusting screw until I threw droplets of oil off the bar at WOT. On both of my 660's this was not possible with my longer bars and non-Stihl chains. However I was able to upgrade them with what is now called a "high output oil pump". Now if you buy a Stihl in Australia (and I imagine other countries) that's the oiler that comes standard. If your oiler won't keep up your chain & bar will get REAL hot. In that case just take a break to let it cool down and repeat.

Noted.. I'll open up the oil screw and see what I get.

/ Saw Guru's Please Advise. #13  
Even if you can't adjust (enough), I would just stop and feel the bar every so often to make sure it wasn't too hot, and/or check that the chain is staying shiny, and/or rev it under no load to get whatever oil you can on it.

/ Saw Guru's Please Advise. #14  
would help to slow down your chain speed thus allowing the oiler to keep up more. 7 tooth rim sprocket is standard, are 6 pins available?