Stihl 029 Super

/ Stihl 029 Super #1  

MF283

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 5303 JD 920M JD825I XUV Gator
I cut up a small tree for my brother the other day, we loaded it on the trailer where i would haul it to the farm & dispose of it.
He told me he had an 028 he had bought years ago & hadn't run it since gas started spilling from the tank, prior to that, he only cut 2 trees down with it. He told me to take it & good luck with getting it running & keep it.
After going over to another house we have for sale, i finally finished & opened up the carry case to find a pristine 029 Super with a 20" bar.
Open the fuel tank after cleaning on the saw a little & the tank was gummed up, pour in some Seafoam, hake it around a bit & do a few other things letting it soak. Check the tank & the gumming is loosening up so i pour in some gas mixture, close the cap, start shaking & fuel starts running out the carb area. I haven't had time to get back at it, noticed there isn't a vent tube & hoping it is just bad fuel lines.
What would you think the problem is?

Thanks

Ronnie

/ Stihl 029 Super #2  
What a great deal.
I would suspect alcohol fuel was used instead of pure gas. Seafoam should clean it out.
Good chance the fuel line maybe bad or the carb is gummed up from the alcohol.
A good cleaning will most likely solve the problem.
Check for a fouled plug as well.

/ Stihl 029 Super
I looked at it for a few minutes this evening, turned it up & the filter fell right out, looking in the tank i notice a blob, got it out with pliers, melted fuel line for sure.
I'm hoping to get back it Monday, got to fish tomorrow:D

Ronnie

/ Stihl 029 Super
I took the carb off today & removed what was left of the fuel line, have some fuel & Seafoam in the tank, hoping it will loosen what little trash that i can see in it.
Carb looked good, i'll get back to it later this week.

Ronnie

/ Stihl 029 Super #5  
A sure sign of using e-blend gas. You would be ahead if when you replaced the fuel lines you rebuilt the carb also. If the lines are bad the carb isn't far behind.
Try to use e-free gas if at all possible.

/ Stihl 029 Super #6  
There is also a little vent hose that attaches to the fuel tank with a valve at the end. If you have an open port on top of the tank - kind of hard to see with the cover on - I wold bet this is it. With a little E-gas or age these will just fall off and then gas will leak out of this port.

/ Stihl 029 Super
Thanks guys, Creamer, are you talking about the vent hose on top of the tank?

Ronnie

/ Stihl 029 Super #8  
Yes. I had that go missing on mine not knowing it was supposed to be there and i was forever spilling gas on myself. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the cap. I took it back to the dealer and complained again and this time there was a guy there who listened and he looked for the hose and showed me the problem. I quick installation and life is good!

/ Stihl 029 Super
I had that happen on my 310, finally sat it down & looked it over, noticed it was gone, went & got another one, like you say, all is good.
The 029 overall is in great condition except for the bar. It shows serious signs after only cutting 2 trees that my brother dosen't know how to run a saw, looking at it, you'd swear it had cut 200 trees:eek:

/ Stihl 029 Super #10  
I had that happen on my 310, finally sat it down & looked it over, noticed it was gone, went & got another one, like you say, all is good.
The 029 overall is in great condition except for the bar. It shows serious signs after only cutting 2 trees that my brother dosen't know how to run a saw, looking at it, you'd swear it had cut 200 trees:eek:

If that's the case after cutting only two trees, it's a very good thing that it started leaking gas. The gas leak made him quit running the saw and could very well have prevented him from injuring himself or doing something stupid.

It's totally mind boggling how many people buy and use chainsaws with zero training and zero safety equipment. I'm not saying your brother is as bad as many people, but he's obviously somewhere on the spectrum.