Ready to go this season?

/ Ready to go this season? #1  

om21braz

Veteran Member
Here it is 80+ degrees today and I decided to get the saw ready for use. Having been empty since probably March, I filled with good fuel, choked it, pulled 4 times until pop. Cut choke back and started up on 2nd pull. Hope your start is as uneventful as mine.

/ Ready to go this season? #2  
I believe that's the key "empty" gas when done/storage...Just don't know what could be added in fuel nowadays.

/ Ready to go this season? #3  
I just picked up a ported Stihl ms660. Only made a couple of test cuts, but it comes from a very well regarded builder. Can't wait for firewood season to begin in earnest. Here she is wearing a 32" bar.
rps20161018_070605_378.jpg

/ Ready to go this season? #4  
All mine started without incident this year.

Dads dolmar PS350 had a fuel line go. All cracked and falling apart.

I am not really convinced that storing the saws dry is the answer either. I have done it both ways, and anymore....I just dont worry about it. I never know when my "last" cutting is gonna be. We cut wood this past weekend. Might cut next weekend.....or things may come up and not cut for another 2 months. Saws went back on the shelf the same way they came out of the woods. Some may be empty, some may be clear full, some may be half tank.

Its impossible to get every last drop of gas out of the saw and carb. And leaving the little residue there to dry up/evaporate, and let diaphragms dry out, creates another set of problems not that different than leaving ethanol tainted fuel in there IMO.

But on the bright side, I did learn of a station close by where I can get 91 octane ethanol free fuel:thumbsup: Bad part is, its crazy expensive. 91 octane everywhere else was ~$2.45 last week. This ethanol free fuel was $3.65. Crazy that its $1.20 higher than high octane elsewhere, and with the 87 octane stuff being ~$2.15......

Still, I think I am gonna fill all my gas cans up with the ethanol free stuff next year. Cause this year, I went through ~40 gallons between the saws, splitter, mower, ATV, etc. An extra $60/yr aint gonna break the bank.

Still dont understand why we can run this ethanol in cars and trucks, and not have any fuel line or seal problems. But small engines........can they not use fuel lines and carb diaphragms that are ethanol-proof?

/ Ready to go this season? #5  
My saws get used throughout the year... This pict. is from yesterday,

standard.jpg

NONE of my small gas engines see any ethanol, anymore! So far, all of my carb/fuel line problems have went away! SO, it's been worth paying more for NO E fuel.

SR

/ Ready to go this season? #6  
My saws get used throughout the year... This pict. is from yesterday,

standard.jpg

NONE of my small gas engines see any ethanol, anymore! So far, all of my carb/fuel line problems have went away! SO, it's been worth paying more for NO E fuel.

SR
91 octane on all outside equipment
Here it is 80+ degrees today and I decided to get the saw ready for use. Having been empty since probably March, I filled with good fuel, choked it, pulled 4 times until pop. Cut choke back and started up on 2nd pull. Hope your start is as uneventful as mine.

/ Ready to go this season? #7  
No benefit to 91 octane at all unless either:

A: the engine specifys it....or
B: it is ethanol free, or of lower ethanol content than 87

If neither of those are true, then you are wasting money

/ Ready to go this season? #8  
No benefit to 91 octane at all unless either:

A: the engine specifys it....or
B: it is ethanol free, or of lower ethanol content than 87

If neither of those are true, then you are wasting money
B! I learned even the guys at the small engine place say use 91 stay away from 86

/ Ready to go this season? #9  
B! I learned even the guys at the small engine place say use 91 stay away from 86

If the engines spec high test....then absolutely. Lot of 2-strokes do, like pro-grade saws.

But my lawn mower, 2 ATV's, logsplitter, etc. It's a waste.

Big MYTH that everyone thinks it's more "pure" or "higher refined" or "more powerful".

Think about it....they used to use lead...don't know what they use now.....but they put stuff in gas that makes it HARDER to ignite. Higher octane is HARDER to ignite than regular. So of course. ..let's use that in small engines which can be difficult to start already.

Oh, and there hasn't been 86 around here for years. 87,89, 91, and sometimes 93.

/ Ready to go this season? #10  
If the engines spec high test....then absolutely. Lot of 2-strokes do, like pro-grade saws.

But my lawn mower, 2 ATV's, logsplitter, etc. It's a waste.

Big MYTH that everyone thinks it's more "pure" or "higher refined" or "more powerful".

Think about it....they used to use lead...don't know what they use now.....but they put stuff in gas that makes it HARDER to ignite. Higher octane is HARDER to ignite than regular. So of course. ..let's use that in small engines which can be difficult to start already.

Oh, and there hasn't been 86 around here for years. 87,89, 91, and sometimes 93.
It's not more power just don't want ethanol that's just gums up the insides of my saw