Homelite SXLAO

/ Homelite SXLAO #1  

Curly69

Bronze Member
Tractor
2006 JD 2305
OK I bought my saw used for $75.00 back in 83-84.
So this weekend I was cutting some firewood and my saw would just die like running out of gas. Took it home changed the G-filter and line that was hard as a rock and only a few yrs old. Until then I had the same line and filter in it for 25+ yrs. Cleaned the 4 yr old special spark plug(low leak) because of my defibrillator/pacemaker and it now runs on high well but won't idle for beans. Took the carb apart and of course there was rust deposits everyplace, cleaned with carb cleaner and air. Started back up but still no low idle, I can take the L.I. mix screw all the way out and all the way in and no difference, the high sets perfectly. I replaced the carb about 5 yrs ago and they are getting more expensive and harder to find.
Any suggestion? Or do I breakdown and buy a new saw for $500.00?
A friend has a Stihl MS290 which is close to mine in size but I cut circles around him but his saw is way lighter.

/ Homelite SXLAO #2  
I've got two Homelites, one from the 70's and one from the 80's. They earned their keep and are carefully serviced and put away. Lots of happy memories using them. But .............a couple years ago I bought the Stihl Farm Boss MS290, which is now earning its keep. Nice saw too.
As to a fix, there are some Homelilte websites that might give you some ideas.......but I don't recall their addresses....chainsaw.com could be one.
Cheers,
Mike

/ Homelite SXLAO #3  
A friend has a Stihl MS290 which is close to mine in size but I cut circles around him but his saw is way lighter.

I'd keep an eye on him, he maybe sandbagging you:D I have the 290 & a 310 which are similar, the 290 was given to me & $20 later it runs like a top, been thinking about selling the 310, i like the 290 better.

Ronnie

/ Homelite SXLAO
I'd keep an eye on him, he maybe sandbagging you:D I have the 290 & a 310 which are similar, the 290 was given to me & $20 later it runs like a top, been thinking about selling the 310, i like the 290 better.

Ronnie
PM sent.

/ Homelite SXLAO #5  
Don't give up on the carb, seldom do they need replacing unless it costs less to replace than parts/labor to rebuild. It's odd that adjusting that screw doesn't do anything for it, I'd say there's still something in there. You may feel a lot better at the end of a day of cutting with a newer saw but there's nothing like the old ones still going.

/ Homelite SXLAO
Don't give up on the carb, seldom do they need replacing unless it costs less to replace than parts/labor to rebuild. It's odd that adjusting that screw doesn't do anything for it, I'd say there's still something in there. You may feel a lot better at the end of a day of cutting with a newer saw but there's nothing like the old ones still going.
I did find a rebuild kit in my barn hanging around and did a good cleaning and rebuild. Saw runs great again and cut up half cord of locust since and all is good.
Glad it runs great again because I went out and found a nice Homelite XL-12 for $30.00!!!! Glad I didn't buy the Stihl.

Attachments

• Homelites1.jpg
    Homelites1.jpg
    618.4 KB · Views: 352
   / Homelite SXLAO #7  
Glad you got it running proper again. Nice collection.

/ Homelite SXLAO
Good folks. Both of my bigger saws are running But.
The Super XLAuto has lost some power, it start, runs rev but just lost some power?
The XL-12 runs awesome and cuts amazing but after about 10-15 minuted starts to miss some and I think runs hot, motor smokes from leaked oil and just muck. No smoke from the muffler. I shut it down for 10-15 minutes and all is well again. I always mixed my oil a shade rich and always got smoke which I didn't mind. But, there's that word again I had to buy some off the brand oil because I was kind of in the middle of nowhere's and it's the kind you mix 32-1 non smoke stuff. If there such a thing? I usually buy the all purpose stuff. Since both are effected ?I'm thinking, hoping it's the oil?

/ Homelite SXLAO #9  
I just burned up my sxlao because crud got way down in the cooling fins and just blowing in there didn't get enough of it out, so take the covers off and really clean/wash it good so air won't be blocked!
Work your settings really slow and micro increments and you will find the right spot for max. power/revs.!
I have several Homelite saws.--8800/410/330/sxl/sxlao/xl2/46cc/23cc, and most of them are running.--I think last count I have 30 total saws.---I fix my own stuff and have beentotally thru several of these saws from bottom up.--Homelite parts are still out there, just have to do research to find them.thanks ; sonny580

/ Homelite SXLAO
Since my last post I have acquired an older Blue. No UT numbers just an SuperXL AO then a 7 digit serial number. Can't find any dating info yet.
Spend 30 minutes cleaning it up and she runs awesome. Does need some small things. Spike, air filter knob, new muffler bolt. These are just a little different then the red SuperXLA's or the XL-12's which I have. I need to find a schematic/manual for This saw before ordering anything though. Any ideas? I would also like to add the manual oiler since it was optional back then.
Ok to my original post the XL-12 had a dirty carb, I bought it last yr and didn't realize the gas tank is still filthy, tar in the bottom so bad the fuel filter was stuck in it. After this yr cutting wood I will try filing the tank with paint thinner and BB's and just keep sloshing it around.
My SuperXLAO I still have to work on, so far just changed the fuel filter and runs good now. I may have to do a comp. test since this was used for wood the last 30 yrs and may be getting tired.20170821_171435.jpg20170821_171505.jpg