Chain Saw recogmendations

/ Chain Saw recogmendations #1  

SPIKER

Elite Member
Tractor
Jinma 284
hi all:

I've been looking for a GOOD 20" chain saw, I have 3 small units an OLD 14" mcculick a 14" poulan and a 18" pulan. (though the 14" pouland will out cut the others 2 to one. what I need is a HIGH quality one with a 3/8' or better pitch blade. I've been looking at the Huskys, cubs and the Stills.

(ok spelling bad on the names but you know...)

anyhow any others I should consider?

Prices so far are $359.00 on high side for 20" Still and down. (310 or 320 I bleive)

Mark M /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Chain Saw recogmendations #2  
The debate is which is better a husky of a sthil... There really is no clear winner... I bought a sthil only becuase it was $20 cheaper then the husky that week.... The dealer who sold it told me that are quite similar in the non-professional series... in the professional series he thinks the edge goes to stihl I live in a lumber area and the pro's around here are about 50 /50 my neighbor says husky....

/ Chain Saw recogmendations #3  
Stihl is supposed to be the best.

/ Chain Saw recogmendations #4  
I will pass along the advice I got at the local mower shop.

He said "Both husqy and stihl are fine saws. The big difference in the two seems to be who uses them. A stihl is a great saw for someone who uses their saw day in, day out, every day. A husqy is a great saw for someone who uses theirs less frequently."

He told me that, put two saws on the table, one stihl, one husky, both had the same price tag. Said they were both good saws for my use. I bought the husqy 141, marketed as a homeowners saw. It works just fine for me, even when I forget to drain the gas between uses and don't remember to run it a couple minutes every month.

Sounds to me like you know a lot more about saws than I do, so about the only thing I can suggest is you hold both in your hands and see which one goes home with you. I know for me the husky just felt better in my hands.

/ Chain Saw recogmendations #5  
seems to me if u already have 3 saws and want a bigger one, u must be using them quite frequently? from everthing i have read and seen , a lot of guys like the sthil. i have a poulan 16 " but it is strickly for a homeowner, i use it 2 or 3 times a year and it has been a wonderful tool.

/ Chain Saw recogmendations #6  
Spiker:

When I lived in Ohio years ago, I had a tree trimming business. We ground stumps and trimmed and took down trees.

I tried everything from McCullough to Poulan and my choice was ultimately Stihl.

I like the Stihl for a couple of reasons, one being the 028 Farm Boss that I presently have and I bought over 25 years ago. My 028 has cut a tremendous amount of wood. It was used in the tree business and came with me to Michigan and the farm. The power head has been through at least 6 bars, 12 chains and 3 drive sprockets. I took the muffler apart one time to decarbon it. Other than the chains, bars and sprockets which are wear items anyway, I have never even replaced the spark plug. Other brands of saws that I tried seem to be prone to vapor lock when hot. Not the Stihl. There is nothing worse than a non-starting saw when you are 75 feet up in a tree. When doing aerial work, a good, lightweight reliable saw is a must.

I use the saw very infrequently now, maybe 3 times a year but it never fails to start on one or two pulls. It's not as pretty as it was when it was new, but it still kicks butt. I never drain the gas between uses, but I do keep the roller nose bar greased and I run 85-140 GL4 gear oil in the chain oiler tank. I use Amsoil synthetic 50:1 2 stroke oil also.

I looked at a new one, but I said to myself, why buy a new one when your 25 year old 028 will handle anything you need to do. By the way, I run a 20" roller nose bar and .404 chipper chain.

I also have a Stihl FS65 brush cutter. It's about 20 years old and just as dependable as the 028.

Like I say, "Stihl the one........the only one you will need"

Buy it once and take somewhat reasonable care of it and it will probably outlast you. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Chain Saw recogmendations #7  
No one mentionned the top-brand,JONSERED, they are manufactured by Electrolux in Sweden just like Husqvarna,they are like Acura to Husky's Honda. They are turbo, a great feature which eliminates up to 90% of the dust and gunk, easier to repair than Stihl, they are pricey though but really top of the line. My 2nd choice woud be Husqvarna, 3rd Shindaiwa but mostly on the smaller ones(under 50cc), Echo are good too in that category...Sthil would be way down my list.

/ Chain Saw recogmendations #8  
Perhaps you may want to pick the saw by displacement rather than bar length.

Egon

/ Chain Saw recogmendations #9  
The top 3 saws are Husky, Jonsered and Stihl. I'm not sure of the exact order. My farmer neighbor has had all 3. He settled for the Husky. He also cuts cordwood for sale. I own a Husky 50. The saw has never failed me. I have cut about 50 cords of wood with it since it was bought many years ago. I use only the square tooth chains on it without the safety teeth for kickback. This type of chain cuts the fastest. But be forewarned. This type of chain dulls quickly if you hit anything that you shouldn't be cutting.

/ Chain Saw recogmendations
Thanks for the replys so far, I have not heard of a couple of them, i have seen the ECHOs around but am not sure where to buy/price one. I want a parts store within easy driving distance. I wasn't impressed with the CUB ones as they were HEAVIER than the Sthils and chains seemed whimpier. Price was as much or more than the Sthil too.

Jonserd I am not sure I've heard of or the ones sweeden.

anyhow computer messing up.

I'l check back later.

Mark /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif