Two Inherited Saws from my Dad

/ Two Inherited Saws from my Dad #11  
Oh I have a tin of rocks too. Luckily he just picked up small ones. One from every family vacation...or time spent together. My kids call them "Poppi Rocks".

Weeeeellllll..... when dad died, the rock and gem club he was a member of came to his house one evening every week for several months to box up and separate his collection into three complete collections of pretty much every fossil that you could ever find in the midwest from every era in time. :eek: I think he had some of Methuselah's patio blocks! Anyhow, the club got one set, the Indiana state museum got another, and I got the third, which is still in the back of my garage, right next to Clem Studebaker's rock collection (but that's another story)....

I did get my father's chainsaw, though, to keep this on track. Still got it. :thumbsup:

/ Two Inherited Saws from my Dad #12  
I bought an Echo at a yard sale in 1990ish.. I kept it 20+ years and gave it to my dad still runs to my knowledge. Echo are ok if you don't cut a ton of wood but they are no Stihl.

/ Two Inherited Saws from my Dad #13  
Those are both good saws. I'd run them. My dad's still around, but I "inherited" his saw. It hurts his shoulder to start it, so now it's mine. I did buy him a much easier starting saw, a Dolmar 421, not that he uses it much. Anyway, now that I've got dad's old saw, it'll stay with me forever. Lucky for me, he had good taste when he bought it. It's a nice little saw.
View attachment 486259

Here it is after it's first-ever bath.

Funny I did that with my dad too.. bought his hard starting Stihl and he bought himself the easy start one.

/ Two Inherited Saws from my Dad
Weeeeellllll..... when dad died, the rock and gem club he was a member of came to his house one evening every week for several months to box up and separate his collection into three complete collections of pretty much every fossil that you could ever find in the midwest from every era in time. :eek: I think he had some of Methuselah's patio blocks! Anyhow, the club got one set, the Indiana state museum got another, and I got the third, which is still in the back of my garage, right next to Clem Studebaker's rock collection (but that's another story)....

I did get my father's chainsaw, though, to keep this on track. Still got it. :thumbsup:

That sounds like a substantial amount of rocks. Luckily mine just collected them for memories.

I plan on keep the saws running for as long as its financially feasible. Good memories.

My parents heated their house primarily with a woodstove, that was in the basement. My room was on the 2nd floor. So to keep heat up there, I had to keep that stove goin. I remember many a day out with my dad cuttin, splittin, stackin wood. Then in the summers was digging stump/root out. Dad use to call them character building activities.

/ Two Inherited Saws from my Dad #15  
Yeah, we had those character building activities, too.

Funny thing... my folks had 5 kids, 5 rakes, 5 dirt shovels, 5 snow shovels, several wheelbarrows, carts, push brooms, etcs... I was the youngest and last to leave. When I moved out, they bought a lawn tractor, leaf blower, snow blower, plow for their Land Cruiser.... HEY! Why didn't you get those a long time ago? Because we had you! :laughing:

/ Two Inherited Saws from my Dad #16  
I've never owned a Stihl...I do own a 30 year old Echo 6700 (grandfather of today's 680 with 4.1 cu/inch)...I wouldn't trade it for 3 Stihls. I've also got 2 "old" Mac 610s 3.7cu/inch engines that still run strong... and all still idle perfectly. I'm 66 and started cutting pulp wood at the age of 13 with a Pioneer...oh, and I wouldn't own a saw that doesn't have "manual" oiling for the chain...I want to know its got plenty of oil when I use it. My 2 cents. BobG in VA

/ Two Inherited Saws from my Dad #17  
I've never owned a Stihl...I do own a 30 year old Echo 6700 (grandfather of today's 680 with 4.1 cu/inch)...I wouldn't trade it for 3 Stihls. I've also got 2 "old" Mac 610s 3.7cu/inch engines that still run strong... and all still idle perfectly. I'm 66 and started cutting pulp wood at the age of 13 with a Pioneer...oh, and I wouldn't own a saw that doesn't have "manual" oiling for the chain...I want to know its got plenty of oil when I use it. My 2 cents. BobG in VA

Bob, if you've never owned a Stihl how would you know your Echo is better than 3 Stihls? :p

/ Two Inherited Saws from my Dad #18  
Bob, if you've never owned a Stihl how would you know your Echo is better than 3 Stihls? :p

Actually, its pretty simple...I've been around a lot of Stihls, and based on the owners saying how hard they can be to start...well, you get the picture (I hope)..no disrespect to the Stihl owners out there, but the real reason I bought that Echo way back then was the fact that in the Pacific northwest, the majority saws being used for lumbering out there were Jonsonreds, Dolmars, and Echos...I figured that was enough to sell me...

/ Two Inherited Saws from my Dad #19  
Actually, its pretty simple...I've been around a lot of Stihls, and based on the owners saying how hard they can be to start...well, you get the picture (I hope)..no disrespect to the Stihl owners out there, but the real reason I bought that Echo way back then was the fact that in the Pacific northwest, the majority saws being used for lumbering out there were Jonsonreds, Dolmars, and Echos...I figured that was enough to sell me...

I've heard of the hard starting problem but never faced it. I've bought 7 new Stihls and they all start and run easily.

/ Two Inherited Saws from my Dad #20  
I can see if a person has a bad shoulder or arthritis in the hands... it takes the joy out of things...

Dad got to the point he couldn't pull anything with a rope starter and I'm afraid the same is slowly happening to me.

I'm sentimental with things... the tools Dad had were all Father's Day presents from me...