Two Inherited Saws from my Dad

/ Two Inherited Saws from my Dad #1  

BCrouse

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5200
While they do hold some sentimental value, I am wondering if they're worth the cost/effort of repairing if/when they break. He had the Echo saw for as long as I can remember. The Stihl is no spring chicken either. Both work and seem to still run great. I also inherited about 10-15 newly sharpened chains as well.

Echo 440EVL
9539bb755ae2352d4693459129e8fe52.jpg

Stihl 012 AV
1c623bb632df211d338742564e2994e9.jpg

/ Two Inherited Saws from my Dad #2  
As long as parts are available and cheap enough, just run the saws.

I had a $100 ECHO saw that needed a $125 dollar part to run. Even though the saw was $400 new I just set it in back of the shelves and used it for parts.

They do run a very long time for a very reasonable cost, and you will know if the replacement part is more than the saw is worth. Then sentimental value doesn't seem to be as important any more.

/ Two Inherited Saws from my Dad #3  
He knew quality as both are well respected brands and neither are 'big box' throwaway models.
Stihl however will have a better support network.

/ Two Inherited Saws from my Dad #4  
I would spend extra money repairing an old good saw that had history, but if it's worn out, that's another story.

My 028, was a wedding gift from my uncle that had a chainsaw business. It fell off a truck and broke the chain brake... still going strong after wearing out a couple dozen chains. Wife thought a used chainsaw without a chain brake makes a great wedding gift!!!

I ended up buying her a Stihl MS192CE chainsaw that she wanted... no plans to ever buy another one. Just repairing what we have...

/ Two Inherited Saws from my Dad #5  
Those are both good saws. I'd run them. My dad's still around, but I "inherited" his saw. It hurts his shoulder to start it, so now it's mine. I did buy him a much easier starting saw, a Dolmar 421, not that he uses it much. Anyway, now that I've got dad's old saw, it'll stay with me forever. Lucky for me, he had good taste when he bought it. It's a nice little saw.
rps20161028_152846_910.jpg

Here it is after it's first-ever bath.

/ Two Inherited Saws from my Dad #6  
A chainsaw is like a tractor... it should never get "washed" :) unless you leave it out in the rain.

/ Two Inherited Saws from my Dad #7  
My Dad and I used the Echo 440EVL for many years. He sold them at his farm supply business. We used that saw almost every weekend from November to March every year, plus a lot more. After 40(?) Years, it is a little hard to start, but once going, it runs like a champ. I drag it out at camp a couple of times every summer just to get some use into it. Had to use it a couple of years ago to clear out a 24" tree that fell across the road.
I don't think I'll ever give it up.

/ Two Inherited Saws from my Dad #8  
Of course they are worth repairing and keeping. They were your Dad's. Inheritance comes with responsibility. Wish I had my Dad's old Strunk. :)

/ Two Inherited Saws from my Dad #9  
It's fun to use something your dad used. But sometimes sentimental stuff is a curse... for example, my dad collected rocks. :laughing: Don't get me wrong. The rocks are very cool. But when all the guys are hanging around, drinking some beers and you pull out your dad's chainsaw, you'll get a lot more attention than pulling out your dad's chrinoid stem collection. :confused3:

/ Two Inherited Saws from my Dad
It's fun to use something your dad used. But sometimes sentimental stuff is a curse... for example, my dad collected rocks. :laughing: Don't get me wrong. The rocks are very cool. But when all the guys are hanging around, drinking some beers and you pull out your dad's chainsaw, you'll get a lot more attention than pulling out your dad's chrinoid stem collection. :confused3:

Oh I have a tin of rocks too. Luckily he just picked up small ones. One from every family vacation...or time spent together. My kids call them "Poppi Rocks".