Echo CS-501 Brief Review

/ Echo CS-501 Brief Review #1  

s219

Tractor
Kubota L3200, Deere X380, Kubota RTV-X
So every few years I tend to cycle a new saw into my quiver. For a while I have been getting by with an Echo CS-400, Husky 562XP, Stihl 461, and a small top-handle Echo. I also had a Stihl 261 but sold it after getting the Husky 562XP, as the Husky was a lot more saw for only a small increase in size and weight.

Recently, Echo came out with the new CS-501, replacing the CS-500 in their lineup, and it caught my eye. The 501 is more powerful (they say 17% more power than the 500) and has some minor other tweaks like captive bar nuts, de-comp valve, updated case design, etc. Compared to some of it's peers from Stihl and Husky, it's got a much more compact powerhead and handles much better. I was able to get a good deal on the 501 with a 20" bar, so I took the plunge.

I used the 501 for some felling a couple weeks ago and liked it, but this weekend I used it extensively for processing firewood and have been really impressed. It is a very strong saw, much stronger than my Stihl 261 was, and has a noticeably smaller lighter powerhead than the 261 did (Stihl has since updated the 261 to make it a bit lighter). I was bucking 12-18" oak all weekend, and the 501 sailed through it, almost to the point where I think it's abnormally strong for a 50cc saw -- really feels more like a 55-60cc saw. Not once did the saw bog down -- it would load up in the cut and maintain RPM, just like a big saw. Really impressive.

The 501 balances pretty well with a 20" bar, but I ordered an 18" setup as my backup bar/chain, and I suspect it will balance even better. I really like the overall feel and lateral balance of the saw, and it is very enjoyable to use. Vibration isolation is among the best I have experienced on any saw.

Here are a couple pics:

IMG_8070.jpg

IMG_8071.jpg

IMG_8069.jpg

/ Echo CS-501 Brief Review #2  
Congrats on the new saw. I think you're right about an 18" bar being a better setup for that model. I've always been super impressed with the Echo stuff I've owned. You may already know this, but in the chainsaw communing it's pretty well established that Echo sets their saws very lean from the factory. It's said that a minor muffler mod and removal of the carb limiters is necessary for them to run properly. Only takes a few minutes to pull the carb limiters, which I wouldn't hesitate to do.

Out of curiosity, was your 261 standard carb, or m-tronic? Also, there's a second version of the 261 that's quite a bit lighter and a little more powerful.

/ Echo CS-501 Brief Review
I know my CS-400 was set very lean, as was my little CS-330T, but the 501 doesn't feel that way. I will give it a little more break-in time and do a brief rev test to see if I can hear a four-stroke warble at full throttle with no load -- that's usually how I judge carb tuning. If I don't get the warble I'll open up the H screw a bit. Unlike the previous two saws, the 501 carb seems to have more range in the adjustment screws, so it may be unnecessary to mess around with the caps for once.

My 261 was first generation without m-tronic, and a very good saw. The new ones have a lighter aluminum handle and a smaller/lighter clutch cover, and that actually caused me some concern -- I always thought that saw could have used a larger clutch cover to pass chips more easily. It may be that the saw passes chips better now because the clutch cover is shorter -- hard to say. It's definitely more constricted at the top. But I was sort of scratching my head when I saw the puny clutch cover on the new saw. If you look at the side profile pictures on the Stihl website, you can see how much less coverage it offers on the bottom -- can see through to the lower case of the saw more clearly now. I think that's where they found a lot of the weight savings, but has me wondering what the point of a clutch cover is.....

/ Echo CS-501 Brief Review #4  
Careful there S. I had the "chainsaw fever" after I stopped logging. At one time I owned 20-25 of them. I'd hardly use em and then I'd sell them. Just had to see how they were. I was like a drunken sailor going through a bar room full of women.
To this day I get the eery -jeebies when i walk into the local chainsaw guy. If I weren't married, I'd buy the entire wall of them.

/ Echo CS-501 Brief Review
I was the same way but settled down in recent years after realizing I was spending way too much time maintaining saws, sharpening chains, etc. But I am slowly creeping back up -- have six saws now. Any more than this and I may have to admit I have a problem again....

/ Echo CS-501 Brief Review #6  
My chain saw and wife are both loud, but I understand my chainsaw!!!!!!!!!!

(Ducking if she reads this)

JW5875

/ Echo CS-501 Brief Review #7  
My chain saw and wife are both loud, but I understand my chainsaw!!!!!!!!!!

(Ducking if she reads this)

JW5875
Another thing they have in common is that they both can inflict disastrous wounds if not handled correctly.

/ Echo CS-501 Brief Review #8  
And that is not provided in the use brochure that should be given at marriage day for men, of course it would be at 400 pages long with the first 390 describing "Safe Use".

JW5875

/ Echo CS-501 Brief Review #9  
You guys are good!!! LOL!!! thanks; sonny580

/ Echo CS-501 Brief Review #10  
Good review, thanks for posting it. I have three Stihl chainsaws and I consider them to be good saws, but I also have one Echo chain saw, and it's a lot easier to start then the others, and like you said in your review, it just seems to handle better. I also have an Echo weed eater that has really impressed me. For less money, you get the same power as Stihl with easier starting. My next saw will be an Echo.