Chaps

/ Chaps #1  

yomax4

Elite Member
Tractor
ISEKI TA 247. Stihl Saws Gravely Zt's Polaris ATV's State Of The Art Welding Equipment
I'm not sure how many people are using saw chaps but after 20 years of fairly heavy cutting I thought it may be time. Fatigue has caused a few near misses over the years and The more I think about them the more I think about getting chaps and a hard hat/face shield. Anyone have experience with more than one brand or is there a general consensus out there.
Thanks

/ Chaps #2  
I use them, don't think brand matters a whole lot other than ensure it's quality. I don't do a full face shield but do wear an aluminum forestry helmet and "bugz" safety glassses and really like them. I prefer ear plugs over ear muffs...mostly because the average temps around here are 80+.

/ Chaps #3  
It is pretty warm in Florida, even in winter. Today, January 22, is unusually warm for January. The forecast is for 77 degrees F.

On warm days like today I wear Big Bill's 14.75 ounce Jeans with double knee material and heavy suspender buttons, model 1993.
http://www.workwearheadquarters.com/jeans/1993BIG.htm

When it is 55 degrees or below I wear full length Labonville chaps, model LW850, and steel toed boots.
CHAINSAW CHAPS from Bailey's

I always wear Uvex safety glasses, a plastic hard hat and leather gloves. Uvex makes model OTG 3001, for wear over prescription eyewear, in several variations.
Uvex OTG 31 | eBay

At age 69-1/2 I limit myself to three hours of chainsaw time and take care to stay hydrated.

LOOK IN THE "SIMILAR THREADS" BLUE BOX AT THE FOOT OF THIS PAGE. THERE ARE 154 "CHAPS" POSTS.

Last edited:
   / Chaps #4  
I've heard good things about the labonville chaps. Also the Husqvarna pro models.

Brand may not matter, but they do come in different ratings. I'd suggest figuring out the rating system and choosing accordingly.

My stihl pro mark chaps are alright, but I won't buy them again. Something with full coverage of your calves would be better than mine (if you catch the calf part with the saw chain the chaps can spin and let the chain get to your leg). I'll probably buy the labonvilles or go to cutting pants.

/ Chaps #5  
I never thought I would ever wear hard hat and chaps. I think the OP makes a good point about getting a little older and fatigue does impact safety. While the mind is running at 35 years old the body is not, in my case.

This past year I purchased the Husqvarna integrated hard hat, hear protection with face shield. Very comfortable and happy with purchase. Chaps I am using some old Filson chaps. I need to upgrade to purpose built chaps this year.

/ Chaps #6  
I bought chaps, they are still in the box... I was googling to see if they are needed... NEVER google "Chainsaw Leg Injury". Lets just say I will start using them from now on...

/ Chaps
I bought chaps, they are still in the box... I was googling to see if they are needed... NEVER google "Chainsaw Leg Injury". Lets just say I will start using them from now on...

Saw that too. One of my near misses cut a 4" slice in my jeans right at the knee and only left a light scrape on the skin. 3/8 chisel would eat meat even when idling down..

/ Chaps #8  
I'm not sure how many people are using saw chaps but after 20 years of fairly heavy cutting I thought it may be time. Fatigue has caused a few near misses over the years and The more I think about them the more I think about getting chaps and a hard hat/face shield. Anyone have experience with more than one brand or is there a general consensus out there.
Thanks

Never leave home without Stihl chaps and hard hat/face shield/ear muffs.

/ Chaps #9  
Seen chain saw leg injury first hand. I way chaps. As cost effective as they are its kinda like why not, my best advice be sure they are easy to put on and take off or you won't use them.

/ Chaps #10  
You would be wise to invest in both the chaps and helmet, in fact you may want to pick up a pair of cutting gloves that have Kevlar in them. Hands are another prime target for mishaps. Having an OR nurse for a wife will enlighten the most ardent non-protective gear advocates. :eek:

I researched the various brands awhile back and ended up going with Labonville chaps which are excellent quality and worth every penny. As stated, the ratings are more important than brand IMO. It is really the number of layers of the material that makes the difference. I went with the thickest Labonville carries, the "competition" grade. They also cover my calves, which was a must have for me.

As far as the helmet and face shield go, I recommend going with a face shield made of wire mesh vs. plastic. Much better for ventilation and no fogging. I had the plastic and ultimately traded up. I wear safety glasses with them as well. Mine is a Stihl. The helmet comes in handy when a branch flies back or for widowmakers. I also use it when using the wood chipper, and it is invaluable in that regard.

9BD2158C-A878-42D2-8943-DDC24CB14D1B.jpg