Husky 450 oil pump

/ Husky 450 oil pump #1  

Bud Soda

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 5000, 3000
Had a husky 450 for a few years. Was bad on bars and sprockets because of the non adjustable oil pump. The pump on this model does not pump at idle when the chain is not moving like on bigger saws. It was only using 1/2 of oil per tank of fuel. I took the pump out and drilled the hole completely through one drill size bigger. Now it uses almost all the oil per tank of fuel and my bar is not over heating. Probably be the same oil pump in other small saws.

/ Husky 450 oil pump #2  
all chainsaw oilers, unless your milling with an external oiler run off the crank and when it ain't turning it ain't pumpin. more often than not its the pickup hole in the bar that's the issue. post a pic of your mod cause I can't picture where you'd drill a hole through the pump

/ Husky 450 oil pump
$_35.JPG This hole all the way through. Remove piston gear first. On my big saws the pump runs at idle.

/ Husky 450 oil pump #4  
I'm trying to envision a saw that the oil pump isn't crank driven after the clutch. what brand/model? dont they make mess when sitting at idle? found some 450 oiler mods the grind the end of the oiler piston to a new angle increasing displacement and oil delivery

/ Husky 450 oil pump
My husky 570 oil pump is driven off the crank. Would still pump oil even if the sprocket was removed. I think my Poulan pro was too. I thought about making the cutout bigger on the oiler piston but wasn't needed.

/ Husky 450 oil pump #6  
I've bought some bars where the holes weren't right. a drill press and 10 minutes later I had good oil flow.

/ Husky 450 oil pump
I've bought some bars where the holes weren't right. a drill press and 10 minutes later I had good oil flow.

I have opened up the holes on a few bars also. On a side note, my little 450 can do more with one nut than other saws can do with two.

/ Husky 450 oil pump #8  
I think my go to saw is my nodded 550xp on a 20 in bar. strong enough for nearly anything light enough for all day