Battery powered chainsaw recommendations? (2017)

/ Battery powered chainsaw recommendations? (2017) #11  
Check out GreenWorks Saws, they make several models in 40 & 80 volt.

/ Battery powered chainsaw recommendations? (2017) #12  
A friend of mine and I were just discussin this last Saturday. He said he knew someone that had a battery operated chainsaw, he was very skeptical, but it cut way faster and way longer than he expected. I'll drop him a line and see if he remembers what brand it was.

/ Battery powered chainsaw recommendations? (2017) #13  
Is corded electric an option? Most bucket trucks have a plug at the top and that seems more suitable for high output use.

/ Battery powered chainsaw recommendations? (2017) #14  
Watching this thread with interest. I'm positive an electric saw can be made considerably more powerful than a gas saw, just need the battery cost to come down. I definitely want to purchase an electric saw for trimming, and also keep with me when using the chopper. Glad you started this thread.
I'd love to see a battery powered saw that can compete with the power and weight of a pro grade gas saw. My buddy has a battery powered saw and leaf blower. They're both a joke compared to my backpack blower and gas saw. Now, the electric saw is nice and would be better suited to a lot of the abuse my sawzall takes, but battery technology has a LONG way to come before I'll park my 372XP. The blower is nearly useless IMO. As far as I know not even corded tools exist to compete with pro saws. I don't have enough use for a light duty saw to justify buying one though.

/ Battery powered chainsaw recommendations? (2017)
Ahem, that's why I carry my Stihl 660 with me wherever I go. :D

Times have changed my friend, batteries have far surpassed corded saws. As a wild guess I bet a modern battery saw would cut a 10" log half the speed of my MS201T which is a pro-grade gas saw. But the time is "made up" in other ways that end up as superior. I see it time and time again. I think only a fool would cut firewood with an electric saw. Or go after a large number of logs. But doing other work, it competes cuz it's "always on" and "instant off".

So often I have to start the gas saw to cut one peice of wood (sometimes firewood that's too long etc) and it seems absolutley silly in comparison to a battery saw which you just pull the trigger then set it back down. Or on the ATV, or tractor, pull, pull, pull, braap braap braap to cut ONE branch or log in the way.

I think the jobs where you never set the saw down, gas wins big. If you set the saw down after every cut, the Battery saw wins just as big. To claim that one is better than the other, ignoring the vast difference between the types of jobs that are done with a chainsaw, is a non-sensical tool comparison and thus useless information.

And up in a bucket.....no comparison.

It makes sense it has to be whatever brand my NEXT BATCH of battery tools are, such as Makita, or DeWalt. At least that's my current thought. But I have to buy into a whole line of new power tools. Main problem is my 18V Dewalts are still going strong (since 2006). I'm getting tired of the NiCad batteries though.

Last edited:
   / Battery powered chainsaw recommendations? (2017) #16  
Keep in mind DC power is more dangerous, in terms of electrocution, than AC power.
I do not know the safe upper voltage limit for DC, but perhaps less than 110 volts. :confused3:

Cord or battery power, the electrocution issue is electrical current's ability to use the human body as a conducting path to ground.

Last edited:
True but it's a closed system, no cord to cut.

/ Battery powered chainsaw recommendations? (2017) #18  
Ahem, that's why I carry my Stihl 660 with me wherever I go. :D Times have changed my friend, batteries have far surpassed corded saws. As a wild guess I bet a modern battery saw would cut a 10" log half the speed of my MS201T which is a pro-grade gas saw. But the time is "made up" in other ways that end up as superior. I see it time and time again. I think only a fool would cut firewood with an electric saw. Or go after a large number of logs. But doing other work, it competes cuz it's "always on" and "instant off". So often I have to start the gas saw to cut one peice of wood (sometimes firewood that's too long etc) and it seems absolutley silly in comparison to a battery saw which you just pull the trigger then set it back down. Or on the ATV, or tractor, pull, pull, pull, braap braap braap to cut ONE branch or log in the way. I think the jobs where you never set the saw down, gas wins big. If you set the saw down after every cut, the Battery saw wins just as big. To claim that one is better than the other, ignoring the vast difference between the types of jobs that are done with a chainsaw, is a non-sensical tool comparison and thus useless information. And up in a bucket.....no comparison. It makes sense it has to be whatever brand my NEXT BATCH of battery tools are, such as Makita, or DeWalt. At least that's my current thought. But I have to buy into a whole line of new power tools. Main problem is my 18V Dewalts are still going strong (since 2006). I'm getting tired of the NiCad batteries though.
I might have implied it, but I never said one was better than the other. Those one branch jobs are where I use my sawzall at a handicap to a electric saw. For some of those set the saw down jobs I leave my gas saw down running with the chain brake on. I already agreed an electric saw was a better choice out of a bucket. I think both saws have their uses and will never replace the other one.

/ Battery powered chainsaw recommendations? (2017) #19  

It makes sense it has to be whatever brand my NEXT BATCH of battery tools are, such as Makita, or DeWalt. At least that's my current thought. But I have to buy into a whole line of new power tools. Main problem is my 18V Dewalts are still going strong (since 2006). I'm getting tired of the NiCad batteries though.

Aren't the cordless chainsaws a much higher voltage battery than cordless handtools? Is one of your goals to use the same battery back in all the tools?

Aren't the cordless chainsaws a much higher voltage battery than cordless handtools? Is one of your goals to use the same battery back in all the tools?

Makita and DeWalt (and others) are addressing that specifically. For example the Makita saw is a two-holer. If 18v is enough power, you put a battery in one hole. If you want 36V you put in 2 batteries.

DeWalt does it a different way. The battery and the tool have a little conversation and the battery connects its cells up (series or parallel etc) to put out whatever voltage the tool wants. They have a jobsite chopsaw that takes up to 120V DC. And they can run on a 120VAC cord too.

Times they are a changing.