Battery powered chainsaw recommendations? (2017)

/ Battery powered chainsaw recommendations? (2017) #21  
Ahem, that's why I carry my Stihl 660 with me wherever I go. :D

Times have changed my friend, batteries have far surpassed corded saws. As a wild guess I bet a modern battery saw would cut a 10" log half the speed of my MS201T which is a pro-grade gas saw. But the time is "made up" in other ways that end up as superior. I see it time and time again. I think only a fool would cut firewood with an electric saw. Or go after a large number of logs. But doing other work, it competes cuz it's "always on" and "instant off".

So often I have to start the gas saw to cut one peice of wood (sometimes firewood that's too long etc) and it seems absolutley silly in comparison to a battery saw which you just pull the trigger then set it back down. Or on the ATV, or tractor, pull, pull, pull, braap braap braap to cut ONE branch or log in the way.

I think the jobs where you never set the saw down, gas wins big. If you set the saw down after every cut, the Battery saw wins just as big. To claim that one is better than the other, ignoring the vast difference between the types of jobs that are done with a chainsaw, is a non-sensical tool comparison and thus useless information.

And up in a bucket.....no comparison.

It makes sense it has to be whatever brand my NEXT BATCH of battery tools are, such as Makita, or DeWalt. At least that's my current thought. But I have to buy into a whole line of new power tools. Main problem is my 18V Dewalts are still going strong (since 2006). I'm getting tired of the NiCad batteries though.
I can't afford a bucket truck, but I've over a dozen trees on 3 residential properties that I need to "prune" from the top down because they are in locations that a large falling branch would damage the neighbors or my houses. Previously I used my little Stihl 021 while up on a ladder. Then I used my DeWalt 20V max "sawzall". Both work "ok" but the Stihl needs starting and the DeWalt isn't great when the limbs get up to 4" and bigger. The B&D LCS1240 weighs about 8 lbs (so it's sort of like holding a gallon of milk). It cuts through larger limbs like butter and starts easily. :)
And note that DeWalt produces an adapter to use 20V Max batteries with the 18V tools.

Aren't the cordless chainsaws a much higher voltage battery than cordless handtools? Is one of your goals to use the same battery back in all the tools?
That was my goal but DeWalt refused to build a powerful one that would use my present battery collection.

Makita and DeWalt (and others) are addressing that specifically. For example the Makita saw is a two-holer. If 18v is enough power, you put a battery in one hole. If you want 36V you put in 2 batteries.

DeWalt does it a different way. The battery and the tool have a little conversation and the battery connects its cells up (series or parallel etc) to put out whatever voltage the tool wants. They have a jobsite chopsaw that takes up to 120V DC. And they can run on a 120VAC cord too.

Times they are a changing.
And DeWalt has just come out with the DCCS670X1 FLEXVOLT 60V MAX* BRUSHLESS CHAINSAW FINALLY.

I still prefer my 021 for on the ground small jobs, my 088 for big jobs, my 660's for CSM and overall making trees lie down, but a $120 electric is a sweet spot for cutting limbs above ground.

/ Battery powered chainsaw recommendations? (2017) #22  
but battery technology has a LONG way to come before I'll park my 372XP. The blower is nearly useless IMO. As far as I know not even corded tools exist to compete with pro saws. .

The technology is already here??? It's just not cost effective to put it into a chainsaw yet.

/ Battery powered chainsaw recommendations? (2017) #23  
The technology is already here??? It's just not cost effective to put it into a chainsaw yet.
I've yet to see a battery powered saw of similar weight that can touch a 70 cc pro saw. That isn't even that big, there's way bigger saws. Even if it exist how long can it run with it. IMO big saws are pretty safe although I wouldn't be surprised to see low end homeowner saws go extinct.

/ Battery powered chainsaw recommendations? (2017) #24  
Makita and DeWalt (and others) are addressing that specifically. For example the Makita saw is a two-holer. If 18v is enough power, you put a battery in one hole. If you want 36V you put in 2 batteries.

DeWalt does it a different way. The battery and the tool have a little conversation and the battery connects its cells up (series or parallel etc) to put out whatever voltage the tool wants. They have a jobsite chopsaw that takes up to 120V DC. And they can run on a 120VAC cord too.

Times they are a changing.

No kiddin? That's pretty slick.

/ Battery powered chainsaw recommendations? (2017) #25  
No action on this thread? Methinks TBN is a little "behind the times...." :D

My first reaction to your OP was that you were a suburban homeowner that wasn't serious about cutting (with a real saw). Well reading your saw list...... not so much:laughing: I had NO idea battery saws would interest or satisfy a guy with your fine "taste" for saw's. Sorry, I obviously can't help but am subscribed here now.:thumbsup:
Does the Makita use the same battery as the rest of their line? I would have to wonder about battery availability in 5-10 years, Husky or Makita. That would suck to have a $800 saw that was worthless (with no batteries available) in the not to far future.:confused3:

/ Battery powered chainsaw recommendations? (2017) #26  
I like my 40v Kobalt.

Ralph

/ Battery powered chainsaw recommendations? (2017) #27  
I've yet to see a battery powered saw of similar weight that can touch a 70 cc pro saw. That isn't even that big, there's way bigger saws. Even if it exist how long can it run with it.

I don't think one does exist, simply because of the expense of it all. The technology is there for it though, just needs to come down in price to make it commercially viable.

/ Battery powered chainsaw recommendations? (2017) #28  
A friend of mine and I were just discussin this last Saturday. He said he knew someone that had a battery operated chainsaw, he was very skeptical, but it cut way faster and way longer than he expected. I'll drop him a line and see if he remembers what brand it was.

He said it was a greenworks 40V. They make an 80v now.

/ Battery powered chainsaw recommendations? (2017) #29  
I have an EGO brand chainsaw. Good for minor trimming and such, but it's definitely not something I'd want to use for any kind of heavy work.

I have a corded cheap electric chainsaw, and don't know anything about the battery powered ones, but if I were going to buy one, it would be the EGO because of how much I like my 56volt EGO self-propelled lawnmower, string trimmer, and leaf blower.

/ Battery powered chainsaw recommendations? (2017) #30  
I have a corded cheap electric chainsaw, and don't know anything about the battery powered ones, but if I were going to buy one, it would be the EGO because of how much I like my 56volt EGO self-propelled lawnmower, string trimmer, and leaf blower.

And you wouldn't be making a mistake, Bird! I have the EGO chainsaw and for my needs (mostly trimming and such), it's outstanding! Just have a couple batteries charged.