Battery powered chainsaw recommendations? (2017)

/ Battery powered chainsaw recommendations? (2017) #1  

Sodo

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B-series & Mini Excavator
Any current opinions what's the best battery powered chainsaw? I have to trim some trees from a 40 foot man-lift. I have a hotrodded Stihl MS201T that cuts like h*ll - but after trying the 36volt Makita & the 40V Husqv .... there's no turning back :thumbsup:
.... Gotta have one, more work & less effort, no hearing protection required I can hear my guys on the ground. And the neighbors won't complain.

So who has a modern battery powered chainsaw and what brand model? Not interested versions from a few years back, unless you're happy with it. Wanna hear about the new ones that rival a small gas saw.

/ Battery powered chainsaw recommendations? (2017) #2  
Ones that rival a gas saw? Good luck.

The only reason I'd have a battery powered saw is so when my cheap neighbor wants to borrow my chainsaw, I can lend him a battery powered one free of charge! :rolleyes: :laughing:

/ Battery powered chainsaw recommendations? (2017) #3  
I have found a 20-volt reciprocating saw, equipped with Milwaukee's "THE AXE" highly satisfactory for your task.

"Pruning" blades less satisfactory. Too thin.

Attachments

• IMG_0610.JPG
    IMG_0610.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 468
   / Battery powered chainsaw recommendations? (2017)
It's been a couple years now since I used the 40V Husqv. But that was $800. The Makita was $199 and was about 2/3 the power of the Husqv. I have a sawzall and the pruning blade too, it's no comparison. A gas saw and a sawzall would get the job done too, but substantially more difficult.

The 40V Husqv was comparable to my Stihl MS201T in real-life cutting performance. If I was cutting firewood I'd use the Stihl. Cutting firewood is real life but it's NOT the task at hand. Need to cut trees up to a foot diameter from a bucket truck. The Battery saw will outperform the Stihl by FAR is many other ways, and especially from a bucket truck. I'm looking forward to it.

No action on this thread? Methinks TBN is a little "behind the times...." :D

/ Battery powered chainsaw recommendations? (2017) #5  
It's been a couple years now since I used the 40V Husqv. But that was $800. The Makita was $199 and was about 2/3 the power of the Husqv. I have a sawzall and the pruning blade too, it's no comparison. A gas saw and a sawzall would get the job done too, but substantially more difficult.

The 40V Husqv was comparable to my Stihl MS201T in real-life cutting performance. If I was cutting firewood I'd use the Stihl. Cutting firewood is real life but it's NOT the task at hand. Need to cut trees up to a foot diameter from a bucket truck. The Battery saw will outperform the Stihl by FAR is many other ways, and especially from a bucket truck. I'm looking forward to it.

Stihl won the PM choice in 2014 Which Battery-Powered Chainsaw Should You Buy?

I'd check more recent online reviews...and see what the repair shop owners have to say

/ Battery powered chainsaw recommendations? (2017) #6  
I have an EGO brand chainsaw. Good for minor trimming and such, but it's definitely not something I'd want to use for any kind of heavy work.

/ Battery powered chainsaw recommendations? (2017) #7  
From an earlier thread I started.
Liked it so much I bought another.
That's a 40V w/ 12" bar.

Looks like a toy but was only $120 w/ 2AH 40V battery, charger, chain and bar.

Planning on it's primary use being when I'm up in the trees trimming branches. Talk about easy start :) Would have liked a Stihl 201T, but like the extra $500 still in my pocket.

Should have bought several because the darn battery is almost $100 by itself.

Anybody else have one?

Coincidentally, JUST before I picked it up I was at a hardware store where they had a Stihl toy chainsaw like this one at Amazon,

AND that was $40!

(note - if you can read my sig I've chainsaws up to 120CC)

Gave the first one to my son. Bought 2 "non-safety" chains from Bailey's.

I've used it when I was at the top of a 32 foot ladder trimming branches off a tree brushing the house and sure appreciate not having to pull start an engine. Now if they would just produce a TOP HANDLE saw for $120 WITH 40V battery and charger (battery goes for about $65 and up alone).

/ Battery powered chainsaw recommendations? (2017) #8  

No, we are listening with interest.

/ Battery powered chainsaw recommendations? (2017)
When you opened this thread you used the word TRIM. Open your next thread with more precise wording.

OK good point! I know tools and wasn't thinking that others would assume I don't. So understood.

Newbury I think often about just getting a lower end saw but my friends who have good battery saws tell me that it will quickly become my "main saw" and I'll overcut with it rather than start a gas saw. And for that, I'll appreciate haveg a good one.

Will trim perhaps 100 branches then cut off 3ft sections of trunk as I come down, until it's reasonable to fell it from the ground. Not sure if its a foot but could be. Then on the ground I'll use my normal saw that I carry around all day, which is, of course my Stihl 660. :D

/ Battery powered chainsaw recommendations? (2017) #10  
Watching this thread with interest. I'm positive an electric saw can be made considerably more powerful than a gas saw, just need the battery cost to come down.

I definitely want to purchase an electric saw for trimming, and also keep with me when using the chopper.

Glad you started this thread.