Pole saw?

/ Pole saw? #1  

houser52

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota M7060HD, Kubota L3600
I've been kicking around the idea of getting a gas powered pole saw. I have around 35 acres with 18 of those in planted pines. My regular saws work great for the limbs that I can reach but some are just too high. A pole saw would help keep the perimeter cut back for easier access with the tractor and brush hog. Plus, one would help maintain the rest of the trees on the property.

I have a manual pole saw but it's really not that efficient and it's really slow. I figure I'd be using a pole saw a lot until I got things cleaned up then after that only occasionally.

I have narrowed it down to the Stihl HT 56C homeowner pole saw ($349) or the Remington 25cc Maverick($159). Both get good reviews for what they are, homeowner pole saws. I would rather have the Stihl because of the dealer service. The Remington is available and cheap from different places but if it gives trouble you have to send it somewhere.

Does anyone own either of these saws and what do you think about them? Which one would you choose for what I'll be using one for?

/ Pole saw? #2  
My first one was a Poulon that worked great for the job I needed it for, but then seemed to lose power fairly quickly and eventually just wouldn't start anymore. It was light and easy to handle. When I needed another one, I went to a dealer that sells both Stihl and Echo. For the same money, he said the Echo had more power and that it was more heavy duty. Both where heavy, but with the straps on, manageable. I bought the Echo. I have three Stihl chainsaws that work fine, and one Echo weed eater. Echo always starts easier for me, and after buying the Echo pole saw, found it to also start easier then my Stihl chainsaws.

It is heavy, but all you have to do is lean it up against the branch and hold the throttle until its done. Then maneuver to the next branch. In a very short amount of time you will have a weeks worth of work just cleaning up all the branches you cut off!!!!!

/ Pole saw? #3  
Eighteen acres of pine plantation, forget a homeowners grade pole saw.

Take EDDIEWALKER's advice and get an professional arborist grade pole saw.

/ Pole saw? #4  
Go Stihl for sure;bought a Poulan pole saw;it was so bad I went to a manual saw.

/ Pole saw? #5  
Got to double tap some of the advice above. Skip the homeowner stores or lines. My local saw shop will sell you the "Home Depot" type stihl for the same price but will then explain the differences between that one and the "good" stihl or other brands they carry.
A good pole saw will last decades. A homeowner type may last 5 years.

Edit- remember no ethanol in the fuel!

/ Pole saw? #6  
Cheap ones don't last - at least get a good warranty, for returns!

/ Pole saw? #8  
Got to double tap some of the advice above. Skip the homeowner stores or lines. My local saw shop will sell you the "Home Depot" type stihl for the same price but will then explain the differences between that one and the "good" stihl or other brands they carry.
A good pole saw will last decades. A homeowner type may last 5 years.

Edit- remember no ethanol in the fuel!

We have 35 acres with 65% of it being woods and trails. I bought a Stihl HT75 approximately 14 years ago. We have several trails and lots of hedgerows to keep clear and trim back. This saw sees lots of use! I used to climb trees to cut and cut off ladders. Getting too old for that stuff! A commercial grade pole saw is the way to go if you are going to do any serious cutting. There are several days a year where this saw will run pretty much all day with only stopping to refuel and for bar oil. They are not cheap. Wife was not happy when she saw the bill! After spending days working with me with it, she has commented several times on how nice it is to have one. I just smile after that comment. LOL. As with any chainsaw you need to keep the chain sharp. Easy to pinch the bar and have branches fall on you. So, you have to really plan your cuts. I usually piece out large overhead branches. Also, these saws are not beasts. Short bars and they cut slower than heavy duty 20" plus commercial saws.

Last edited:
   / Pole saw? #9  
I have a Stihl Kombisystem with interchangable modules. It is great.

I have the pole saw with an extension in between. I have no idea how high I can reach, but I'm 6'2" and I've held it fully stretched out above my head and I bet I was at close to 18ft or so. I really like the system, because I have one engine that I can maintain and multiple attachments from string trimmer, brush cutter, hedge trimmer, pole saw, power brush, etc. They all work very well.

I went with the largest engine I think it is the KM 130. The only thing you have to watch for is chain oil will leak when you aren't using it. I have yet to pick it up and not have an oil spot along with and empty tank. Also, the oil tends to run out before gas. So you have to insure that you check the oil level regularly.

But overall, I really like the system and it works very well.

STIHL HT-KM Pole Pruner - KombiSystem Attachments | STIHL USA

/ Pole saw? #10  
I have a Stihl Kombisystem with interchangable modules. It is great.

I have the same, if you have enough work for one it's worth having but the price is a little crazy. I bought mine used (almost new) for $300, I don't have enough work to spend a lot of money for a new one.