Chainsaw chain

/ Chainsaw chain #1  

jack707

Veteran Member
Tractor
farm trac 555
Is there a chain for a chainsaw for demo work that will stay shaper longer then a regular chain?.

/ Chainsaw chain #2  
Still sells made in Switzerland, carbide steel, 'Duro' saw chains.

Stihl servicing dealer needs a dedicated setup with a diamond wheel in order to sharpen carbide saw chains.

The last two Duros I bought, for a 16" bar, were $66 each plus tax.

Duro chains stretch like regular chains.

Stihl warns about not overheating Duro chains when cutting gritty material. I turned up the bar oil flow to the chain by 50%.

There is a plethora of info on carbide saw chains on arborist blog sites.

/ Chainsaw chain #3  
If you decide to try a regular chain, get semi-chisel -- it will hold up a lot longer than full-chisel before it needs sharpening. It's better for cutting dirty logs for this reason, and I imagine it would be better for demo. But I honestly have no real experience using a chainsaw for demo type work other than to cut barn poles, pier pilings, telephone poles, and pallets.

/ Chainsaw chain #4  
There is a chain that is used by fire departments to cut into roofs, might be that 'DURO' chain, but can't say for sure.

/ Chainsaw chain #6  
There is a chain that is used by fire departments to cut into roofs, might be that 'DURO' chain, but can't say for sure.

It's a waste of money. When you hit nails, it'll break off the tip of the carbide. Just buy the standard chains and keep them out of the dirt. If your cutting roofing material, consider kerosene instead of bar oil, it'll help cut the build up of tar from the shingles. Those rescue chains or whatever aren't worth the cost or the pain in getting sharpened. You can buy a roll of chain or friend your stihl dealer and chains will be $17-20 for a 20" hopefully.

Brett

/ Chainsaw chain #8  
Oregon makes a chain called Mulitcut that has extra chrome and stays sharp longer.

If you have a smaller saw take a look at PowerSharp also by Oregon. It sharpens on the saw with a built in sharpener.

/ Chainsaw chain #9  
I keep all my old worn out bars and chains for such work.

Will

/ Chainsaw chain #10  
I second the don't use the carbide on demo work.. one nail and several teeth will be missing.. I had one for semi-loads of logs but hit to much metal and was destroyed at 3x the cost..