stihl ms 251

/ stihl ms 251 #1  

jd870

Silver Member
Tractor
JD870,JD X320,MF1529
Im considering buying a new sthil ms 251. any opinions or comments ?

/ stihl ms 251 #2  
I have that saw, or maybe its the 261, I can't recall which right now. My only compliant was the poorly deigned oil/fuel caps but it seems Stihl has changed them since mine was built. If they repaired that, then its a GREAT tool I'd get another without hesitating.

/ stihl ms 251 #3  
Im considering buying a new sthil ms 251. any opinions or comments ?

What're you gonna use it for? For occasional use in wood under 14" it'll be great, though I'd personally find an ms250 instead if you're set on a new stihl saw for that price. 250s are still on the shelf at dealerships, and they're cheaper than the 251. The 250 is a simpler design, and for a cheap saw, they hold up very well.

Both the 250 and 251 are "homeowner" type saws with a plastic clamshell design, rather than the magnesium split case design of a pro grade saw. The pro models to look at in this size are the 241 and 261. I've never used a 241, but people rave about them. My 261 is an awesome saw. Lightweight, tons of power for a 50cc saw.

I know I said I'd take a 250 instead, but I'd actually go a different route personally. I'd find a used stihl 026 or 260, which are pro grade predecessors to the 261. I also have an 026, and that thing will cut circles around a 251. Another option in that size range would be the Husky 346/351/353 family, which are also older models, or the Dolmar 421, which is a little smaller than the 026/351 saws, but is a great little saw that starts super easy and is built more like a pro saw than the 250/251 for about the same price. The Dolmar 5105 is a 50cc, and is a great saw, but a little pricier than the 251. Still a lot cheaper than a 261, though.

Good luck in your decision, and let us know what you end up with. Also, if this is your first saw (or you don't already have them) leave room in the budget for chainsaw chaps. Proper PPE is extremely important when running saws.

/ stihl ms 251 #4  
I was out and checked, I do have the MS261. The 251 would be the next size smaller CI but should be of the same quality and I'll add some some to that point. My 8yo 261 is quite setup well so you can service in the field, with a minimum of tools. The motor cover easily comes off with a bar tool and the air filter simply twits off. (Yes, had to clean it in the field) The warm/cool operation baffle changes out with just as easily. We use it in the early winter and do operate it with the warm air intake in use. Point is, this tool really is well built.

/ stihl ms 251 #6  
The 251 (and 250) is a homeowner saw rated for 50 hours use before it may need a rebuild. Unless you have occasional homeowner duties, like storm cleanup every few years, I'd say step up to a pro saw (normally they are rated for 300 hours). Long term it's a better value, and normally you end up with a lighter saw that is more powerful for the same cc.

I had a Stihl 261 and thought it was a great saw. Was not impressed with the build quality of the 241 I tried, but it cut well.

Right now my favorite 50cc pro saw is the Echo CS-501P. Costs less than the Stihl 261 and higher performance. Can order them through Home Depot online or see an Echo dealer. I've owned/tried all the major pro 50cc saws in recent years, and think this Echo is the best of the current batch. Next best would be the Husky 550XP.

/ stihl ms 251 #7  
If I'm not mistaken that's a farm boss. I've used them and my Husqvarna 353 cuts circles around them. The 353 also weighs like 2 pounds less.

/ stihl ms 251
Thanks for the feedback. I think im also going to take a look at the makita/dolmar EA 4300 F which is replacing the dolmar ps 421.

/ stihl ms 251
My current saw is a stihl 025 with a 18 in bar. I bought the saw new about 18 years ago. its been a very good saw. It is used to remove small to medium size trees,tree branches and brush, not a lot of firewood cutting or logging use. whatever maintenance needs to be done around my farm property. im just not sure about some of the new stihl models quality in this size range.