Modern equal to mythical Stihl 026 chainsaw?

/ Modern equal to mythical Stihl 026 chainsaw? #1  

Rock Crawler

Veteran Member
Tractor
2021 Kubota L3560 HSTC, 2011 Craftsman Excellerator GT (680hrs), 2018 Husqvarna TS354XD, 2017 Husqvarna HU800AWD, 2019 Kawasaki Mule Pro DX (Yanmar)
My father bought a Stihl 026 back around 1990, we estimate 1990 as the latest possible year as that was when he built his house out on farm property and had the saw. He thinks it may have been purchased a year or two earlier.

The saw has been a total beast, a workhorse that has no equals. This thing is near mythical in it's tireless performance and near zero down time. But one day, even the mightiest beast will die. So I am starting to consider a new Stihl that can attempt to replace the light weight, high power, ultra reliable and insanely durable 026 model.

Are saws today made to the same caliber of this legendary steed, or is there no real modern equal of a saw of such stature as the legendary 026?

I really would like to stay with Stihl, as this saw has proven to be so durable and long lasting that I have no good reason to look for "better" brands, I am not so sure a better brand could possibly exist.

If your a Chainsaw guru, please enlighten me on what is out there today that can be considered a suitable match to the 026.

/ Modern equal to mythical Stihl 026 chainsaw? #3  
The saw has been a total beast, a workhorse that has no equals. This thing is near mythical in it's tireless performance and near zero down time. But one day, even the mightiest beast will die. So I am starting to consider a new Stihl that can attempt to replace the light weight, high power, ultra reliable and insanely durable 026 model.

I've had the same opinion of my Husky 55. A beast for 20 years w/ no problems until (I think) an air leak cooked it last year. Or maybe it was just age. Nothing a new piston and top end couldn't fix (for about 1/4 the price of a new saw). Viola! Now it's a new saw again. Hope to get another 20 years out of it.

/ Modern equal to mythical Stihl 026 chainsaw?
I've had the same opinion of my Husky 55. A beast for 20 years w/ no problems until (I think) an air leak cooked it last year. Or maybe it was just age. Nothing a new piston and top end couldn't fix (for about 1/4 the price of a new saw). Viola! Now it's a new saw again. Hope to get another 20 years out of it.

My aluminum case stripped at the left side pivot bolt hole that holds the kick-back brake lever. I have tried an aluminum thread repair epoxy that the Stihl dealer suggested, but it only held the tiny threads for a few hours and then I was back to a flopping around, non functional safety brake. This saw doesn't have thousands of hours on it, as we do firewood duty maybe 20 hours running time a year. Other than that I use the saw as storm blow down trees that end up crossing into yard. It gets a good bit of time sitting in the garage not seeing sunlight for months... But I know that the safety is compromised, and even with light homeowner use over 27 years it will likely fail at some point. I'm sure that if I were a tree guy as a profession that even a Stihl saw would wear out in just a few years of daily use....

Is Husky Husqvara, is that something else? The only "Husky" equipment I've known was very cheesy looking light duty yard tractors sold at retail stores.

/ Modern equal to mythical Stihl 026 chainsaw? #6  
The 026 has many equals and some brands and models are even better. You show a lot of bias in the tone of your post and since you have brand blinders on...then all I can say is that the ms261 is what you want to spend your $600 on

/ Modern equal to mythical Stihl 026 chainsaw?
The 026 has many equals and some brands and models are even better. You show a lot of bias in the tone of your post and since you have brand blinders on...then all I can say is that the ms261 is what you want to spend your $600 on

:laughing:

Yes, as far as chainsaws go, I drink the Stihl koolaid pretty hard. I have had a Crapsman saw and some other saw that was called "Wild Thing"... both were trashy junk compared to the little orange one that my father had bought and now I use. I can't see going to a different brand after having such a great service life from this product/brand. When I buy a new say, it will be Stihl/Kubota/Kioti Orange unless there is VERY compelling reason to consider another brand of similar product....

/ Modern equal to mythical Stihl 026 chainsaw? #8  
Husqvarna and Kubota orange is pretty close...

/ Modern equal to mythical Stihl 026 chainsaw? #10  
Still loving the heck out of my Stihl 031AV which my mom bought in 1975.
It's noisy and heavy but pulls like crazy... if I was in the firewood business I'm sure I'd spring for something lighter, quieter, more fuel efficient and cleaner.

If you love the 026, buy some likely-to-be-needed spare parts now so that in 10 years when you need them you'll be able to do the work quickly... and don't believe the shop if they say they can't find some part or other to fix it. My mom's saw shop changed hands about 10 years ago, and she took the saw in to them to fix the starter - the cord pull wouldn't retract - and they basically told her to buy a new one. I told her to bring it to me, I pulled the starter pawl and it'd just gotten stuck, put it back together and it still runs (she did get a smaller lighter unit for her handyman since at 76 she doesn't cut her own firewood any more!).

(I put a 24" bar on it - it originally had a 20" - and just use it for bigger stuff, and have a small 14" saw to cut limbs off after felling trees.)