Big Echo....

/ Big Echo.... #1  

BobG_in_VA

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mahindra 6000 MWFD, 2 1950's Farmalls, 1974 Farmall 140, 1967 Mf 135Delux
Hey folks...always watch this forum, don't usually post here...however, I did something today that merits a post...and possibly some help..I've got a CS-6700 Echo (todays CS-680). I bought it new 30 years ago and it still runs as strong today as it did when it was new...I did a tad of tuning today...wasn't getting all the revs I know it has in the cut..I opened the High adjuster up about an 1/8 of a turn and it rolled right on up to where it should be..(as well as I remember when we used an inductive rev counter on it, it was right around 12K)..well, after I let off of it, at idle, the chain kept on running like the clutch was still engaged. For some reason it was..I pulled the bar/chain cover off and, yes the clutch was stuck as engaged..also what keeps the clutch on this unit..as you can un screw it right out...does anyone have a pic of a big Echo's clutch setup??? Sorry for bothering you guys, but this saw is the best I've ever owned and don't for the life of me know why this is happening after 30 years...thanks.. BobG in VA

/ Big Echo.... #2  
Hey, definitely remember you!!! (and the other forum) Welcome back!

I think you answer your own question when you asked "why this is happening after 30 years" - it's OLD! I finally had to replaced the clutch in my Stihl 028. I don't know about Echo's.... Sorry could not help you more!

/ Big Echo.... #4  
I have a CS-8000 and just put new bar/chain/sprocket/etc. on it, also did a couple 650-evl's. See if yours is set up the same way.--The clutches if I remember right just un-screw with a spanner.--gotta take out spark plug and install a piston lock, (2' of clean starter rope stuffed in works), then turn in direction of arrows.--I didn't have the spanner, so I used a big punch.---(gotta be careful doing it this way as you can do major damage if you make a glancing blow!)

I think with the bar off, you might be able to tap on the drum and get it loose, UNLESS it is rusted solid, then you will have to install a whole different clutch or re place the springs in yours if they are bad.
At any take the clutch apart and clean and inspect the parts.---Not much in them, just a pair of shoes and springs. thanks; sonny

/ Big Echo....
Well, all is now OK...I took the 6700 to the local Echo dealer and had the mech. do a run thru with the clutch, ..he got every thing done...with the 1 hour labor ($65/hour), it was $133. I'm actually fine with that as all this saw has needed in 30 or so years is a couple of spark plugs and and a new manual oil pump...BobG in VA

/ Big Echo.... #7  
The other potential problem using a punch is that it is possible (not common, but possible) to jar the crank hard enough to destroy the rod needle bearing.

/ Big Echo.... #8  
Good point! Eddie!!! LOL!!! thanks; sonny580