Small saw quest

/ Small saw quest #1  

TheMadOne

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3560HSTC-LE, formerly L3301
I've started looking for a limbing/cleanup saw to bridge the gap between my 20volt black and decker and the ms 290. The 290 is a great saw for bucking and felling, but it beats me up something fierce when cleaning tops. The black and decker has done amazing for what it is, but cuts slow, adding time to the job.

The obvious choice would be a ms 150 c-e, but $550 is a lot of dosh for a tiny saw.

That leaves:

Echo cs 310-$200 8.8 lbs ?hp

Stihl ms 170-currently on sale for $160 8.6 lbs 1.7bhp

Husky 240 $180 10.3lbs 2hp

Husky is out on weight alone.

So which is better, the Echo or Stihl? Or should I hoard my pennies and go for the ms 150?

/ Small saw quest #2  
Both are good brands. Echo's with minor work are awesome, my CS330T with a muffler mod is an entirely different animal from stock form. If I has getting a small and light saw now I would go with the Echo 2511T, lightest saw on the market. Check out these videos of one with some mild tweeting done do it. Saw King III - YouTube Echo CS-2511T Tree-Work Test - YouTube

/ Small saw quest #3  
I sold my MS290, bought an EGO 16" saw, and I've never regretted it for a second. For my needs, gas is a thing of the past.

/ Small saw quest #4  
I have two of the CS 310s from Home Depot. It's an amazing little saw - lightweight, easy to start, easy on fuel. I also have a larger, heavier Jonsared 20", which only comes out when needed. The small Echos work great, and I can run them all day and not feel beat up. My wife is able to run the Echo, but not the Jonsared, and I bought the first one for her. I liked it so much, I bought a second so we can both be working on separate trees.

I have no experience with the Stihl. I like Home Depot's convenience if I need a chain on a Sunday afternoon....

/ Small saw quest
Both are good brands. Echo's with minor work are awesome, my CS330T with a muffler mod is an entirely different animal from stock form. If I has getting a small and light saw now I would go with the Echo 2511T, lightest saw on the market. Check out these videos of one with some mild tweeting done do it. Saw King III - YouTube Echo CS-2511T Tree-Work Test - YouTube

Eh, I was trying to avoid top handles. I've not used one, but trying to hold them in the store feels awkward. Maybe it's just a matter of what I'm used to.

/ Small saw quest #7  
Purchased a Stihl 180C ,a number of years a go;nice little saw,around $200.00

/ Small saw quest #8  
I spent the better part of Saturday w/ a MS 291 just cutting up fallen pine branches. As a guy that drives a desk during the week, I'm still feeling that in my lower back / gluts. Now, I'm eyeing the cordless Worx Jaw Saw for cutting up the stuff on the ground that's too big for the chipper and maybe future pruning (they make an extension for it as well to make it a pole saw). Not sure if it'll hold up to professional use, though, or how it would work up in the trees.

/ Small saw quest #9  
if you can get a Stihl ms 170 for $160 then buy it! That's a good deal for great little workhorse.

/ Small saw quest #10  
if you can get a Stihl ms 170 for $160 then buy it! That's a good deal for great little workhorse.

My neighbor lent me his almost new MS170 to try out, I was limbing a pine that came down.

WOW, I was really disappointed in the lack of power,, I am just not patient enough to wait for that saw to slowly cut.
The saw had a brand new chain on it,,,

I guess I would just rather pick up a big saw,,, and watch it fly through small stuff,,,