Black Oak Down! (Advice?)

/ Black Oak Down! (Advice?) #1  

jmc

Elite Member
Tractor
Ford 1920 4x4 (traded in on Kubota). Case 480F TLB w/4 in 1 bucket, 4x4. Gehl CTL60 tracked loader, Kubota L4330 GST
I just discovered this blocking my driveway. Glad I dont have to be anywhere important for awhile. Theres only one way out of here.

Those track strips across the bridge are 18 inches wide for perspective. Trunk is supported only by the bridge and by the rootball, just out of the picture. At least up there, its not so high off the ground.

The last time I cut a tree between supported ends there wasnt enough clearance under it to finish from below. With all that weight, the top kerf closed before I could withdraw the blade. So that didnt go so well... This one is a little different but I thought Id ask the more experienced here how they would cut this. I really dont want to cut above my shoulder height.

Thanks,

John

Attachments

• 5593F4AE-8450-4444-89A8-99AB718DA9AE.jpeg
    5593F4AE-8450-4444-89A8-99AB718DA9AE.jpeg
    868.5 KB · Views: 569
   / Black Oak Down! (Advice?) #2  
If I have only one chainsaw,, I start the cutting in at least 5 locations,,
that will give the tree some flex in case the saw gets caught.

/ Black Oak Down! (Advice?) #3  
I would cut the top of the tree that is in the air to remove weight.
I would next, start cutting the right side as pictured from the under side.

Of course I am not there to get a real look at it and I can not judge weight and potential fall areas.
Hard to give advice from my desk.

/ Black Oak Down! (Advice?) #4  

Of course I am not there to get a real look at it and I can not judge weight and potential fall areas.
Hard to give advice from my desk.
That is what I would do also. Remove the limbs from the top but leave it supported on the bridge. Then go back to the root ball and cut about 1/3 to 1/2 thru from the top, then work from the bottom to finish the cut. If you have some old firewood or other material that you can block up the tree with so it wont fall completely to the ground, it will be better so you wont be getting your saw into the ground when cutting.
Wedges are your friend also use to keep the kerf from closing up on the top.

/ Black Oak Down! (Advice?) #5  
Let me start with the disclaimer that I am not an actual lumberjack. I have survived a similar experience clearing away a 24" oak tree that fell across the road to my house. It was suspended over the road and looking pretty dangerous, so it had to go and I had to do it... My wife was intrigued enough that she filmed the carnage.

I would start by cutting away the limbs, and then get them out of the way. You should eventually be able to remove all of them up to where the tree is touching the bridge. Just be careful of any limbs that might have pressure on them from the tree weight. If I had to cut one of those, I would probably save it for last, after everything else is cleared out. Then cut a short piece away near the ground. Think firewood length, until there is no pressure on the limb. Once you have that done, it will be easier to cut sections off the length.

/ Black Oak Down! (Advice?) #6  

That's what I would do as well, based on the pic. When making the cut on the trunk on the right, cut about 1/4 in from the top, then finish from the bottom. That's assuming that the trunk is actually in tension on the bottom. It looks that way from the pic but I can't see what's on the right side in the bushes. And always watch the kerf while cutting. If you see it closing pull the saw out quick! Then re-evaluate.

When cutting up from the bottom on something like that you have to be ready for it to break suddenly and fall, taking the saw with it. You can usually pull the saw out before it hits the ground. But keep your feet out of there.

/ Black Oak Down! (Advice?) #7  
I might live dangerously but I cut a lot of firewood and maintain a similar road. I would go to left where the tree sits on the bridge and go up a few feet, Cut 1/3rd through and come up from the bottom. The top will go over the edge. Then move right and do it again and again in 4' lengths or firewood lengths. Yes, Be ready to move. You could tie off the top to a pickup to keep it from going your way. Should be a fun project.

/ Black Oak Down! (Advice?) #8  
I might live dangerously but I cut a lot of firewood and maintain a similar road. I would go to left where the tree sits on the bridge and go up a few feet, Cut 1/3rd through and come up from the bottom. The top will go over the edge. Then move right and do it again and again in 4' lengths or firewood lengths. Yes, Be ready to move. You could tie off the top to a pickup to keep it from going your way. Should be a fun project.

That’s the approach I’d use but I’d probably take it in less than 4’ piece so the drop isn’t as far.

/ Black Oak Down! (Advice?) #9  

That is the way I'd try also. Make sure there is an a axe or handsaw available for when you decide to have a go at it from the top.

/ Black Oak Down! (Advice?) #10  
Id do like others said and start at the left, rootball side.

That looks like a pretty steep hill, And I wouldnt want to be up and down that hill with a saw in hand.

Looks like you got quite a stable of equipment. Pretty stout backhoe and CTL. Use one of them to control, and help pull the thing back down the hill as you cut it up