ChainSaw Oil-2 cycle

/ ChainSaw Oil-2 cycle #21  
Bird. . .

From the people I know who have actually had one (and now including you), They all loved them. Light weight, not as loud, and durability. I got mine used, I think it's date code is late 70's. The thing always ran good as long as the blade was kept sharp. I usually kept the lawn boy at the house and the Toro/sears#1/sears#2/Troy Bilt at the farm. The Sears uses Tecumseh engines which last typically 5 years.

With the exception of that one time I tried to be cheap. . . .Lawnboy has been great.

BUT Now I see that Lawnboy is using 4 stroke Tecumseh on two of their models. Different reviews have rated these as poor performers. They still have two models with the 2 stroke engines and I'm wondering if I should get one now before they disappear.

Steve

/ ChainSaw Oil-2 cycle #22  
Steve, I put off buying a DR trimmer/mower as long as their biggest one was a Tecumseh engine. As far as I know the Tecumseh might be the best engine in the world, but after that lemon I got on the Toro in '69, I've never owned another Tecumseh; takes awhile to get over something like that for me./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif Of course, after the lemon Ford I bought new in '66, I wouldn't even think about buying a Ford product for 25 years, and now the last 4 I've bought have been Fords./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Bird

/ ChainSaw Oil-2 cycle #23  
Sears #1 : Tecumseh engine. Sears called it their Eager 1 (eager to die!?) engine. Two year warrenty. On the Third mowing season, would have to stop every 30 minutes to fill it up with oil and check the gas. I questioned Sears (salesman) about the ad saying "cast Iron Cylinder liner". "OH yeah - thats on the black Eager engines, you have a red one." Ran it for two more years and the deck rotted out at the handle mounting.

The Sears #2 (el-stupido went back - please sir may I have another) was bought from a co-worker that was moving. it was less than a year old (and had the black engine), gave him $100 for it. It lasted a little longer but still started using mass quantities of oil by the fourth season. Final drive on the system was plastic gears that were a constant problem. Now you may say I don't take care of my mowers, but all get a good quality oil change 3 times over the summer (works out to less than every 25 hours), and have had many B&S, Tecumseh, Clinton and Wisconson engines in my care, and the Tecumseh have been the only ones to have a repeatable life problem. Troy Bily tiller is 18 years old, B&S 8HP, has tilled and cultivated a 4000 sq foot garden every year and still goin' strong.

Steve

/ ChainSaw Oil-2 cycle #24  
Bird,

I know what you mean about Lawn Boys. My parents had one they bought used in the mid-70's and it is still in use today. Only problem has been the plastic motor housing cracking. I bought one new in about 1983 for my fledgling lawn care business and made many thousands of dollars with it. Quite a lucrative operation for a high-school student. Only thing that I ever replaced were the plastic wheels (bought steel after the first ones wore out) and a couple of blades. My parents still have it, and now that I think about it, I might throw it in the back of my truck the next time I visit !/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

18-33477-tibbsig2.JPG

/ ChainSaw Oil-2 cycle #25  
<font color=blue>would have to stop every 30 minutes to fill it up with oil</font color=blue>

Now there's a problem I never had with my Tecumseh. I never added any oil; I just had to change the oil about every 2 hours because the crankcase would fill up with gasoline./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif In fact, I was afraid the darned thing might explode some day.

Bird

/ ChainSaw Oil-2 cycle #26  
Re: ChainSaw Oil-2 cycle-DR Kawasaki

Ok Bird… You can now place your order…/w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif

F0336-250.jpg

The 494 cc Kawasaki engine on the PRO is capable of operating for hours on end, even in the most rigorous conditions.

…a smaller DR mower uses ; ENGINE: 10.5 HP BRIGGS & STRATTON, 4-cycle, I/C engine: 28.4 cu. in. Cast-iron cylinder sleeve, Cobalite(TM) valve. Made in U.S.A..

18-35197-JD5205JFMsignaturelogo.JPG

/ ChainSaw Oil-2 cycle #27  
Re: ChainSaw Oil-2 cycle-DR Kawasaki

I don't need that machine, John, since I have a brush hog for the tractor, but when I first inquired about their string trimmer/mowers, the biggest they had (6hp) was Tecumseh engines only. Then they started building them with a Briggs & Stratton and I bought one; it's 3 years old this week and got another 4 hours put on it yesterday.

Bird

/ ChainSaw Oil-2 cycle #28  
i am amazed that no one even mentioned any type of synthetic 2 cycle oil?? several of the dealers around here will double your warranty on a weedwacker or chain saw if you use their pre-packaged synthetic oil mix. myself?? i've used nothing but amsoil 100-1 mix in my stihl weedwacker, homelite chainsaws, honda moped, lawnboy lawnmower and everything else i have used over the last 10-15 years. never a problem with any of the equipment, and i have one gas can for 2cycle stuff.
heehaw

/ ChainSaw Oil-2 cycle #29  
Heehaw,

Sounds like good stuff. How much does it cost?

18-33477-tibbsig2.JPG

/ ChainSaw Oil-2 cycle #30  
100:1 works OK in your 24:1, 32:1, 40:1, 50:1 ratios??????

Stevie likes! Tell us more!!!!!

Steve