Stihl Chain Saws

/ Stihl Chain Saws #11  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue"> I have a good Stihl dealer close by. </font> )</font>

That is the one area the other chainsaw competitors cannot touch is Stihl dealership availability.
Stihl is a premium in service,like a John Deere dealership,you know they both are near a town you live in and the name will always be there and parts and service will never be a problem. Not saying there are not other good saws,but that is why I am a Stihl owner.

/ Stihl Chain Saws #12  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I rate mine highest on the list of what I would own.

Still running my 1975 Stihl 041. Have a new MS361 and it is almost as much fun to run as the old one. Both cut wood very well, run well, have 20" bars, and I have a good Stihl dealer close by.

I've run other brands, and sawn with others that own other brands, and have yet to experience anything that runs better or cuts better, or lasts as long without repair.

Can't say that there are not other brands out there, but Stihl remains in demand, and that wouldn't happen if they didn't run as good as they say. I started with Stihl on a recommendation of a logger, and have been very satisfied.

But, depending on the size and the year, I think there are tempermental Stihl saws that don't run as well as the big pro Stihl saws. All Stihl saws are not created equally. Like all saws, they require a lot of tender care, and for that reason, no one, but me, runs my Stihl saw. NO ONE! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hope you find out what is troubling yours. )</font>

Well said. I run 3 saws. Husky 51 (16" bar) for limb/trim, Stihl 310 (20"), Stihl 041 (24"). Have had many others over the years. A well maintained saw (except for the el cheapo big boxes) should run well regardless of the make.

Harry K

/ Stihl Chain Saws #13  
You may want to check and make sure your blade is not warped or the engine sproken if not overly worn.

/ Stihl Chain Saws #14  
What I notice is that the guide slot in the bar fills up with sawdust and then the slightest twist or bump on a smaller [say 5''] limb will be enough to flip it out of the bar. I keep the chain tight enough so that you can lift it off the bar but not so far that the guide will leave the bar slot. this is an 049 size saw that I'am comparing to a husky 55 that I had. Premium gas in the mix. Last tuneup after break in wasn't that many running hours ago.I just wish I'd spent the 650. bucks on the husky instead of the 550 to get this one. I'am not brand new to chainsaws either I've been running them for 30 yrs now and side by side with lots of others but I still say I'd rather have a husquvarna.

/ Stihl Chain Saws #15  
<font color="blue">"Any thoughts on pitching the spark arrestor screen"? </font>

Dargo, the first thing I do when I buy a chainsaw or a string trimmer is remove the spark arrestor. I've just encountered too much trouble with them to leave them installed. I seldom work in areas that a danger of starting a fire with exhaust sparks is very likely. There may be Spark Arrestor Cops in your area but not in mine. Common sense dictates that we all be careful with regard to starting forest fires.

TK

/ Stihl Chain Saws #16  
I have used Stihl and Husky equipment. I like, and have had good service out of both. I have more Husky equipment, mostly because we have a good equipment shop just a couple miles away.

I have Stihl trimmer right now, that starts hard buts runs awesome. I have a Husky blower that starts easy and runs good, but the gas cap seal is a terrible design and has had to be replaced a few times, lest it leaks gas while operating. The gas return line pops out eften, even though it appears to be pliable and plenty long. And, the clamp on the blower tube is a joke. Interestingly, it has a Kawasaki engine...

My Husky brush/trimmer has always worked well.

In the future I will stay with Stihl and Husky saws, but for trimmers that Honda 4-stroke is sure looking nice.

I think it is like Ford/Dodge/Chevy trucks. All are great right now, it just comes down to personal preferences. Same with saws.

A friend is an arborist. He has a mix of Husky and Stihl saws. Each one has it's own niche for his work and preferences.

/ Stihl Chain Saws #17  
I'm a Husky owner based upon dealer service not brand loyalty. I don't have anything agains't Stihl nor can I talk about them expertly, but I will make the leap and assume their chainsaw lines are similar to Husky's. The consumer stuff isn't much better than what you find with other brands, because they need to keep the prices low to compete. Sure they may be a little better than the lesser names, but not much. The pro stuff will cost twice as much though. The professional quality equipment is what made these brands legends. I own both consumer & professional chainsaws & brush cutters all from Husky. Sometimes my equipment sits idle for six months at a time. The pro stuff starts everytime with no problem. The commercial stuff requires a little extra care when storing or a lot of extra effort when starting. The pro-stuff is just so much more forgiving.

/ Stihl Chain Saws #18  
Rockin,

I too have had problems with my 029 throwing chains. First with the factory bar, then with a replacement bar/chain that I bought to correct the problem. Like you, I'm clueless about how to fix it. I have minimized the problem by keeping the chain tighter than I would like, and making sure the nuts retaining the bar on on very tightly. Still, I'm extra careful around it, because sometimes it just falls off for no reason. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Lest someone castigate me as being a novice, I am not. I've run numerous chain saws (mostly Stihl) and have never had this problem. It appears to me that the mounting plate for the bar may be slightly warped or convex, and the bar is placed in a bind. Anyway, my point is that Rockin may have a real problem . . . one not caused by any lack of attention on his end.

/ Stihl Chain Saws #19  
Have you got the proper chain on the saw? Both pitch and gauge.

Egon

/ Stihl Chain Saws #20  
Hmm.... I have a Stihl, Husky and an Echo

I love them all but they all do different things. The Stihl has a 16" bar

Husky 20"

Echo 24"

Dressed the bar on the Echo after chains kept popping off. No trouble after that. I wouldn't be afraid to send anyone in the direction of Stihl ever. I would call a dealer and ask for their imput for your problem