Who makes a decent chainsaw?

/ Who makes a decent chainsaw? #1  

GrantMO

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3410
Just asking for your opinion. I've got a 25 yo Stihl with a small bar maybe 12" that runs great despite years of neglect. I'd like to get something bigger and wondered what your experience with other brands is. I'm partial to Stihl because I've also got a Stihl trimmer and it's bulletproof. Are they all about the same quality?
35-43492-tractorsig2.JPG

/ Who makes a decent chainsaw? #2  
GrantMO, The older Stihl's were a good saw but from my experience working with and on the newer Stihls they are JUNK and not worth owning. Husqvarna is what I have now, 2 of them and a brushcutter and haven't had any problems with machines or spares and service. All of the logging contractors here use Huskys now and most used to have Stihls. Kerry.

/ Who makes a decent chainsaw? #3  
Grant
I also have an older Stihl. It sure has been a great saw. I spent some time getting my saw. It was just after they started making then in the USA. Wanted one made in Germany. I purchased a grass trimmer and hedge trimmer last year. They perform very well. The new Stihl's have a lot of plastic on them. I don't think that will hold up for commercial use.

18-30594-ronssig2.gif

/ Who makes a decent chainsaw? #4  
I was in the market lat year for a new saw as my 1964 Mac10-10 was ill and parts were hard to get. I was seriously looking at the Stihl, need something 18" or bigger. During a storm in Dec 00 part of a maple tree fell and we had to hire a trimmer to clean it up (laying against and near power lines). I was supprised when he showed up and got out a Poulan. His reasoning was for the same money, he can buy three Poulan saws for the price of a Stihl. While he admitted that a Stihl will outlast a Poulan, it won't outlast three. And it's nice to be able to have multiple saws on the trucks so if one gets dropped, or smokes a clutch, or dies, he dosen't have people standing around doing nothing.

I bought the Poulan. Been happy since. (10 times better than the Mac10-10)

Steve

/ Who makes a decent chainsaw? #5  
Grant, for commercial or heavy duty use, I don't know. My brother has a Stihl; good chainsaw and so darned heavy I don't like to use it. In the 12" to 16" sizes, I much prefer the Poulan. I have a 14" Poulan that's so much lighter and handier that I can get a lot more cut faster with it than I can with that Stihl.

Bird

/ Who makes a decent chainsaw? #6  
I've seen this question asked a number of times and it seems the answers that come back are the same as others have written here. Husqvarna makes about the best saw with Stihl in second. I have a 25 year old Stihl 020AVP that has been great. It has only given me a problem when I let the gas in it get gummy. I also have an 026 (Stihl) that is about 12. Never had a problem with it. I saw somewhere that the Stihl even numbered saws are commercial, and the odd numbered are for homeowner use. Whatever you get, I highly recommend a unit with a chain brake.

/ Who makes a decent chainsaw? #7  
I would like to add my .02 here. My latest saw is a Husqvarna Rancher 18" . I got a great deal on it from the dealer across the street and it hasn't let me down one bit. I cut wood for our waterstove and large or small it does it all. It's a little lighter than there other 18" models but the power is great. A family member has Stils and Huskys, and the huskys are always brought out first.

gary

/ Who makes a decent chainsaw? #8  
Wow, this is a topic that brings out the pride of ownership demons!!! I have had Jonsered, Husqvarna and Stihl chainsaws, and in the end settled on Husky only because the local shops prefer them and therefore stock parts...and most of the local loggers and tree types use them so I have a readily available body of experts to help with troubleshooting. Not that anything has ever broken, but being a former Boy Scout I like being prepared. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Any chainsaw can be dangerous if used inproperly OR if used when you're tired. If you do a lot of limbing or brush cutting where you have to hold it with your arms extended, your muscles will appreciate a lighter saw, i.e., that would be a safer choice. But asking a teeny saw to do bore cuts on a hefty hardwood will leave you with a saw sticking permanently out the side of a tree trunk! /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif Since I heat two homes with wood, I have a monster Husky.

Use common sense, buy something that can be serviced locally without having to wait for parts, and spend some bucks on safety gear.

www.GatewayToVermont.com

/ Who makes a decent chainsaw? #9  
I own a 10+ year old Stihl 028 Super which I purchased new. It cuts all the wood that heats my home in the great white north - which is a considerable amount. No problems and tough as nails.

/ Who makes a decent chainsaw? #10  
Grant,
I'm a Stihl man. Most all of the loggers back home use Stihl and the guys who work on them say still is the best as well. I don't know where Kerry gets that the new Stihl saws are junk. They have a number of features on them that makes them easy to use, safe, and sturdy as heck. I bought a new one five years and have abused the heck out of it. It has probably cut 300 or more fence posts, 50 cords of wood, and trimmed, cut, and done multiple tasks around the places. It still starts on the first couple pulls, has original spark plug, and cuts like a dream. I've dropped it, forgot to add chain lube, ran too lean or too rich fuel, and generally abused the heck out of it and it keeps on going without ONE single problem.

18-35034-TRACTO~1.GIF