How long to clear a flooded chainsaw?

/ How long to clear a flooded chainsaw?
Wow, Thanks for the replies and insights.
Hazmat thanks for the detailed explanation. I had assumed something like that was taking place. On the Stihl 025C the start and choke are on the same lever. You set it to full throttle and choke until the engine turns over. Then you slide the lever to the full throttle/no choke position and pull until it starts. Unfortunately I had flooded it before I ever pulled the rope. So I was trying to clear it. No amount of fullthrottle/nochoke would start it.
I think ByronBob's idea of pulling the plug would be worth a try if I get stuck again. I will definitely pass up on Madmans idea of clearing out the gas with a lighter. I value my saw and eyebrows to much to do that /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Phil

/ How long to clear a flooded chainsaw? #12  
Do Harley's still have carbs? I thought pretty much everything had gone to FI by now.

/ How long to clear a flooded chainsaw? #13  
Yes, harleys are still available with carbs. However, they are also available with fuel injection. The vast majority of motorcycles, even the super high tech crotch rockets and modern 4 stroke dirt bikes still use carburetors. We offroaders still dunk our bikes in the water on occasion .

The crotch rockets are mostly 4 cylinder engines with a neat row of four individual carburetors, one for each cylinder.

The biggest recent innovation on off road fuel systems is the application of accelerator pumps to allow you to snap the throttle without bogging the engine.

/ How long to clear a flooded chainsaw? #14  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The biggest recent innovation on off road fuel systems is the application of accelerator pumps to allow you to snap the throttle without bogging the engine. )</font>

I assume you're still talking about motorcycles? Cause accelerator pumps have been on car carbs since at least the 40's........

I know a lot of boat engines, particularly outboards have gone to FI too.

/ How long to clear a flooded chainsaw? #15  
Yes sir, the fastest single cylinder off-road motorcycles have just within the last few years started using accelerator pumps on the carburetors. Also, they have equipped some of the carbs with throttle position sensors to provide information to the ignition system.

My 2001 Honda XR400 still uses a carb with no accelerator pump or TPS. At least it has electronic ignition. You have to learn the starting procedure for various situations or you will wear your leg out in no time.

An american company named Cannondale tried fuel injection on the off-road bikes and the company has since tanked for various reasons including high initial cost.