Husqvarna chainsaw review

/ Husqvarna chainsaw review #1  

zio

Tractor
Kubota L3750
I see so much info on Stihl equipment, thought someone might like a review on a Husqvarna saw. I bought a 350 (18" bar) about 10 months ago to use on our property cutting firewood, clearing, etc. My local dealer carries both brands, and he told me they sell more Stihl saws, almost 10 : 1, but the Husqvarna's are just as good. I'm a fan of underdogs, and of the motorcycles (even thought they're not related to the original Swedish marque anymore), and the price was right.

Cold starting was hit & miss at first, but after breaking in I have the routine down pat. Choke out, decompression in, three pulls, it fires, then choke in,three more pulls & it fires right up. Sounds like a hassle, but the pull is so easy it's no big deal at all. Otherwise, hot starting is a one pull affair.

The saw has lots of power (3.1 hp). Been cutting a lot of oak & eucalyptus, both green & dry. Vibes are low (makes a big difference if you're cutting all day). Sound isn't too loud either, but I wear a helmet/face screen/ear muff combo.

The air filtration system they use really works. It's supposed to remove 97% of the dirt before it gets to the filter. I've been on the original filter this whole time, and have cut about 2 cords of wood. So far, I've only had to clean it once. Jetting is easy to adjust, but I haven't had to. It's spot on & every time I pull the plug, it's a nice cocoa brown.

The automatic lube system seems to only have two real settings- just a little too much or none. I can't remember why it has adjustable settings, but I keep it on the "too much" one & buy cheap oil in bulk. Also, I have to adjust the chain quite frequently if I'm cutting thick stuff. Not from stretch, but because the bar eventually gets pulled in after about a half tank. I don't know if this is normal or not, but it's easy & usually coincides with the time I need a break or have to gas up. I crank the bolts as much as I think is safe without breaking the clutch side cover, but it doesn't make much difference.

The 18" is just right for 90% of the cutting I do. Rarely do I need to fell a tree larger than 10-12" dia. or so. Mostly, I'm cutting limbs or 6" Eucalyptus for firewood.

Anyhoo, love the saw. I only wish they made a big string trimmer. Had to buy a Stihl FS250. It's great, but I don't like mixing brands. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Husqvarna chainsaw review #2  
zio,

Glad to see another happy Husky owner.
I have a 365 for the big stuff and a 338XTP for the small trees and tops.

My 365 starts similar to yours but after the first 3 pulls (and then it sounds like it started for a second), I go to 1/2 choke and it starts on the next pull.

I may have to read my manuals but I've never seen an adjustment for the chain lube.

I've been eyeing up the Stihl FS250 but my Husqvarna Mondo trimmer just won't die...

Brian

/ Husqvarna chainsaw review #3  
Happy husky owner #3 .I have a husky 55 rancher that does a great job . I also have a husky 326lx trimmer that works great. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Husqvarna chainsaw review #4  
Yep... they make some good saws. I have an old 16" Poulan that was given to me and it's fine for smaller stuff. When I need to do some real cutting I get my B-I-L's Husqvarna. That baby will chew up some wood! Not sure which model his is, but, I believe it has a 20" bar.

/ Husqvarna chainsaw review #5  
Although I have been buying Stihl equipmment lately, (dealer preference), I am a happy Husky user. I have a 66 chainsaw, around 13 years old that still runs well. I also have a 120LC trimmer that is not used much anymore (I bought a Stihl FS 85 2 years ago for more power) but still runs well for a backup or a loaner trimmer.
Will

/ Husqvarna chainsaw review #6  
Add me to the happy husky owners as well. I have had the Rancher 55 for about 3 or 4 years now and do not have a single complaint. It has power to spare and when the chain is sharp goes through hardwoods like slicing warm butter.

It starts everytime, I choke, pull a couple of times, when it catches, kill the choke and it's always started on the next couple of pulls. Mine does not have cylinder decompression that I have seen on the new ones, so starting takes some effort to pull. I am a big guy and always have to put it on the ground with my foot through the handle to pull; starting from a standing position I don't think can be done. I like the chain brake and the bar adjustment as well. Well made.

Last summer I got the Husky "box" carrying case and really like it. It's got room for tools. oil, files, etc. and is very handy for keeping everything together. Folds out and open to get the saw out real easy vs. traditional cases. Can also be used in the field as a "workbench" with the flat surface. Just have to put a cloth down to keep the saw from sliding around on the plastic top. I think this case is great for around the house, but definitely can't see the plastic hinges holding up to daily commercial type use.

I have a small Homelite that's probably about 20 years old. It use to belong to my wife's grandfather and is really a good little saw. I use the husky to take down the trees, grab the homelite to de-limb and trim and then go back to the husky for cutting into blocks.

BTW, picked up the dremel chain sharpener a couple of weeks ago. Comes with a guide and three size "stones" for sharpening various cutter sizes. I was about to throw away and replace the chain on the Homelite but decided to take the dremel to it to see how it does. Very cool little tool, sharpened the chain as good as new. Spent about 10 minutes working on the chain and it cuts like new now. Worth every penny I paid!

/ Husqvarna chainsaw review #7  
I've got six saws, three Stihls and three Huskys:

Stihl 026 Pro 20" .325 chain
Stihl 028 20" .325 chain
Stihl 044 MAG 32" 3/8" chain

Husky 350 18" .325 chain
Husky 359 20" 3/8 chain
Husky 372 28" 3/8 chain

They are all dynomite, but my two favorites are the Stihl 026 and the Husky 350, lotsa power with less weight. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Husqvarna chainsaw review #8  
I have a 50 with 16" chain that I bought it 89, but it still runs like it is brand new. I heat with wood - so it has cut a lot. I bought it after working one summer on a road clearing crew. Of 4 crew saws, the Husky was the one everyone wanted to use.

It's been a fantastic saw - always starts well summer or winter (-40) after a pull or 2, runs like a champ, and never been any trouble. When I got it they set the carb to run at 11,000rpm, and told me to bring it back after 5gals and they would bump it to 13K. Well, I never did, and I just tweaked the carb for first time last year and it has more power now than it ever did!

I hear Stihl may be good, but I've never had one, and after this Husky - never will. FWIW - My dealer claims Jonsered saws are pretty well identical - I understand they are made in the same factory.

/ Husqvarna chainsaw review #9  
I have a small Husqvarna saw - a 141. It has been great.

/ Husqvarna chainsaw review
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( BTW, picked up the dremel chain sharpener a couple of weeks ago.... )</font>

I've been using the Oregon sharpener that clamps onto the bar. Works o.k. After each 3rd sharpening I do, I take it to the dealer for a pro job. I can never get it as sharp as they do.