tangled chain saw chain???

/ tangled chain saw chain??? #1  

jam2004

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX 2230
I just bought a replacement chain for Stihl chainsaw. The chain was tangled out of the package. Is there any secret for straigtening it out so I can place it around the bar? I'm afraid if I pull the knots apart, I'll bend it.

/ tangled chain saw chain??? #2  
There's no secret that I know of. I just lay it down and open up the little loops of chain until I can see which way will undo it. Just takes one or two minutes.

/ tangled chain saw chain??? #3  
No secret and no need to bend it.
As woodchuckie said, just keep it in one plane, and slip the loops back past each other until its one loop.

/ tangled chain saw chain??? #4  
I know that this was a long dead thread . But I'm sure that many of the folks that read this have been cursed with a deliberately willful chain . I have no real answer to it .
I do find that swearing at the chain ,grabbing it up ,and thrashing it about has never had a bit of an effect on the rogue chain . I have found that after exhausting myself ,the chain most often relaxes and becomes compliant . Naturally after all that , I mount it backwards on the bar :(

/ tangled chain saw chain??? #5  
I look at a rogue chain as a bad omen and normally will cancel the project for the day.

I have found that waiting for happy hour and the subsequent relaxation, that the chain kinks quite literally fall apart in my hands as I rotate the chain. Very strange!

/ tangled chain saw chain??? #6  
Over on another forum they passed the secret along http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=55516&highlight=untangling
But generally you get it down to two loops then "cross" them over each other.

My preferred method is to use a chain breaker and spinner :)

And then put a chain together with a loop in it intentionally and give it to my son to untangle :)

/ tangled chain saw chain??? #7  
I keep a box handy and when I accumulate at least two rogue chains, I take the box to the saw shop and get them sharpened. When I get them back they are normal chain. I find the greasier and sandier the chain is and the hotter the weather, the chain will naturally go rogue. Straightening one is sort of like me working a rubix cube.

/ tangled chain saw chain??? #8  
Just be sure to lay it out on a flat surface and move the loops to the outside.
Trying to untangle while hanging onto it can be frustrating, but can be done.

But the trick is to lay it flat.

/ tangled chain saw chain??? #9  
But the trick is to lay it flat.

I have also found this to be the case. Laying it flat also helps nicks and cuts from the sharp teeth.

/ tangled chain saw chain??? #10  
I always do mine in the air and keep at it until one of us gives in, next time I will have to try laying it flat.