Tractor
    Kubota BX 2230

Default tangled chain saw chain???

I just bought a replacement chain for Stihl chainsaw. The chain was tangled out of the package. Is there any secret for straigtening it out so I can place it around the bar? I'm afraid if I pull the knots apart, I'll bend it.

Tractor
    KUBOTA L 2800

Default Re: tangled chain saw chain???

There's no secret that I know of. I just lay it down and open up the little loops of chain until I can see which way will undo it. Just takes one or two minutes.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    JD_4x2_Gator, JD_4300, JD_X485, JD_425, JD_455, JD_110

No secret and no need to bend it.
    As woodchuckie said, just keep it in one plane, and slip the loops back past each other until its one loop.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    L3130 hst

I know that this was a long dead thread . But I'm sure that many of the folks that read this have been cursed with a deliberately willful chain . I have no real answer to it .
    I do find that swearing at the chain ,grabbing it up ,and thrashing it about has never had a bit of an effect on the rogue chain . I have found that after exhausting myself ,the chain most often relaxes and becomes compliant . Naturally after all that , I mount it backwards on the bar

Tractor
    Kubota 4240HSTC

I look at a rogue chain as a bad omen and normally will cancel the project for the day.

I have found that waiting for happy hour and the subsequent relaxation, that the chain kinks quite literally fall apart in my hands as I rotate the chain. Very strange!
    Kubota 4240 HSTC; L2900; 1931 John Deere LA; Cat 416C BH; Cat 277 SS.

JC

Tractor
    Kubota's - B7610, M4700

Over on another forum they passed the secret along http://www.arboristsite.com/showthre...ght=untangling
    But generally you get it down to two loops then "cross" them over each other.

My preferred method is to use a chain breaker and spinner

And then put a chain together with a loop in it intentionally and give it to my son to untangle
    My rides - '95 Kubota M4700 w/ PEC, LA1001 FEL :'07 B7610, LA352 FEL, Bush Hog SBX 48 box blade, '09 Woods BH70-X w/ 16" bucket and thumb, 3pt pallet forks, Dale Phillips PHD, Jinma 8" chipper, 2 Piranha's, Winco 12KW PTO generator, Howse plow, 5' KK tiller, 5' Big Bee cutter, with a 2002 7.3L Ford F350 CC DRW 4x4 and '07 18' Hudson HSE Deluxe trailer - 5 Ton to haul it all
    My saws - JD CS 62, efco 3500, Stihls - 021, 660 w/woods mod, 660 w/ DP muffler, 088, Woodmizer LT10

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3010DT

Smile Re: tangled chain saw chain???

I keep a box handy and when I accumulate at least two rogue chains, I take the box to the saw shop and get them sharpened. When I get them back they are normal chain. I find the greasier and sandier the chain is and the hotter the weather, the chain will naturally go rogue. Straightening one is sort of like me working a rubix cube.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    JD_4x2_Gator, JD_4300, JD_X485, JD_425, JD_455, JD_110

Just be sure to lay it out on a flat surface and move the loops to the outside.
    Trying to untangle while hanging onto it can be frustrating, but can be done.

But the trick is to lay it flat.

Tractor
    JD TLB 110

But the trick is to lay it flat.

I have also found this to be the case. Laying it flat also helps nicks and cuts from the sharp teeth.
    40 Acres on a hill - fantastic view. JD 110 TLB, 4-n-1, 12" bucket, 18" bucket, Addington thumb, rock bucket (doubles as root grapple)

Not only do we not understand the universe, if someone explained it to us, we would not know what he was talking about.

Isaac Asimov

Bronze Member henrysMFGC2310TBL's Avatar
    Tractor
    MF GC2310TBL, JD 185, JD D140

I always do mine in the air and keep at it until one of us gives in, next time I will have to try laying it flat.