Chainsaw Oil

/ Chainsaw Oil #1  

Cottonhawk

Gold Member
Tractor
NH TC40DA, Canopy, Tiltmeter.
I am curious what you folks do with the remaining "bar & chain oil" after using the chainsaw. I usually leave them in the saw and they leak all over the place. It makes the floor dirty and wasting the oil too.

/ Chainsaw Oil #2  
Yep, that's what I do too.

/ Chainsaw Oil #3  
I always try to refill my saw after using it, both the gas and oil mix, and the bar and chain oil. It has never leaked out any of the fluids and is ready to go the next time I need it.

/ Chainsaw Oil #4  
I do what Birdman does with my little Stihl 009L. I've never had it leak either the bar oil or the fuel.

/ Chainsaw Oil #5  
Cottonhawk
You might try loosening the oil cap when storing, and see if it is just pressure that is letting the oil leak out. Other than that, I'd place it where the oil would leak onto newspaper or other disposable item, to not make a mess on the floor.

/ Chainsaw Oil #6  
I've got an old Homelite saw that leaks oil if you leave it in the tank. I'm convinced this saw is our answer to the oil crisis. If I leave an ounce of oil in it, it'll leak out a gallon. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Best solution is to just drain it when done.

A couple summers back, I bought a new Stihl MS260. It doesn't leak a drop. I always fill it when ready to store away.

(I keep the old Homlite on hand for when my favorite Bro-In-Law wants to borrow my chainsaw! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif It NEVER wants to start, the chain is worn out, burns way too much gas, and needs a new spark plug every time he uses it.) (Plus, he always brings this one back. I have to go after the Stihl when he used it)

/ Chainsaw Oil #7  
I have had saws that 'weep' a little oil and all I do is just turn the saw on it's right side instead of leaving it upright. This keeps the oil from leaking out.

I have never drained bar oil out of a saw.

/ Chainsaw Oil #8  
Like the others, I have a Stihl (029 Farm Boss). I refill it when I put it away and it never leaks. I also have a 20 year-old McColluch 310 and it never leaks either. Too bad the rear differential on my Excursion wasn't as good. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

/ Chainsaw Oil #9  
You could also place the saw in one of the proper plastic cases. Protect the saw and chain from inadvertant dings, contains leaks and is very usefull for transport.

Egon /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Chainsaw Oil #10  
I have two saws. One leaks, the other drips a couple drops. I put cardboard on the shelf where I store the saws. Toss it when it gets icky.

My theory is the pump is in between intake and compression, and allows oil to pass. It's a random event when you shut off the saw. Sometimes the pump stops where it has potential to leak, sometimes it stops at a point where it is sealed up better, ie top of compression stroke.