Chainsaw Husq vs Stihl

/ Chainsaw Husq vs Stihl #21  
I've absolutely noticed a difference in the chains. I have a big Husky for dropping trees and a small Stihl for limbing them. I use only Stihl chains on both saws. Pete

/ Chainsaw Husq vs Stihl #22  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I've absolutely noticed a difference in the chains. I have a big Husky for dropping trees and a small Stihl for limbing them. I use only Stihl chains on both saws. Pete )</font>

I must have a real crappy Stihl chain on my 210 if you guys have good luck with them.

/ Chainsaw Husq vs Stihl #23  
I have to confess that I've never even heard of a Shindaiwa, but that doesn't mean much.

/ Chainsaw Husq vs Stihl #24  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Think I could take a brand new chain and basicly destroy it while cutting in clean wood in less than an hour!
)</font>

I have a couple Homelite saws and do exactly that! There was another post about the Homelight chain. Cuts great for about 1/2 hour then needs sharpened, just won't hold an edge.

Bought a Oregon chain for the 20" and its' been doing great. Can't find one for the 12" saw, localy anyway.

Living in Montana as a teenager everyone raved about Stihl. My Uncles and I cut many a cord of wood with them. Then again the one McCullough saw seemed just fine as well.

/ Chainsaw Husq vs Stihl #25  
I had a Shindawa string trimmer that was fantastic. Started easy and had plenty of power. Unfortunately, when it had a problem a few years later, the dealer where I bought it had dropped the line and no one in the area had picked it up. That's when I decided to stick to Husqvarna and/or Stihl.

/ Chainsaw Husq vs Stihl #26  
Not sure if you are asking me, but I'm one of the people who uses Stihl chains on a Husky saw. The bars have been Husky and other brands as well. I can't remember what brand it is, and the logo is worn off now. Not Oregon, but it had a replacale sprocket tip nose so it was a quality bar and lasted 15 years. All the bars have been sprocket tip, and I grease the tips regularly. I haven't found bar wear to be an issue at all.

Are you sure your bar and chain gauge match? If the bar gauge (width of the guide grove) were .058, and the chain were .050 then the chain would slop around and wear excessively, I think. Any chance that's your problem?

There are numbers on the bar, and probably a numbr stamped on the drive tooth of the chain. If you let us knwo what they are we might be able to decipher the dimensions.

/ Chainsaw Husq vs Stihl #27  
I thank every one who has posted!
I had no idea there was so much to know about chain saws. We bought an olive farm a year and a hlf ago and painfully sawed everything by hund up until 3 months ago at which time I bought my husband a Stihl. We have never sharpened a chain. We got an extra one when we bought the cahin saw and when the first one got dull we jsut put on the secons one. I will go over to my dealer and get a chain saw sharpening tool and lso for the, oh i forget the name the smooth links between the cutting bits.

Good project for tomorrow. My husband is not mechanically inclined so this is a job I will be happy to do. I like tools and am comfortable around them.

I would like to get a chain with more bite on it as has been discussed on this thread, but since my husband declines to wear a helmet, I am not even going to tell him that there are other chains available that bite more. He needs all the safety features available. If he would wear the proper safety equipment then I would bump us up in a chain, but he won't, so he will never know what he is missing. Loving wife writing.

He ran the chain saw cutting down probably 40 6" to 10" trees without ever adding bar oil. Now that I showed him the directions he is at least adding bar oil every time he fills up with gasonline. The Stihl is awsome though. We got the model that dealer said all the olive farmers use. Nice lightweight and tons of power. Cost 550 Euros but gotta have the right equipment to do the job. We have the wierdest marriage. Usually the husband would research and buy the chain saw. With us just the opposite, he just let's me research and buy what I figure out will meet our needs,he doesn't even go with to the store. My dad treated his daughters jsut like his son and we all worked, duaghters and son, and learned the proper names of all the tools and how to use them, and he gave us plenty, plenty of projects. Which is why I cruise so much on TBN with all you fellers, I feel comfy here.
~rox
p.s. my dad never had a chain saw which is why my knowledge base is lacking in chain saws. When he had to cut down a tree he called my uncle and the two of them used a two man saw. Side note- he cut down oak trees with the two man saw, took them to a saw mill, dried the lumber in the top of our garage and then built all of the kitchen cabinets. Yeah I did a LOT of sanding when I was a kid, sanding down a lot of oak. Like I said above we all had to work when I was growing up.

/ Chainsaw Husq vs Stihl #28  
Rox, You are the envy of every guy I know. We were all looking for a wife like you. Your husband better be glad he has you.

/ Chainsaw Husq vs Stihl #30  
most all of my still saws were made in west germany. guess that tells you how old they are. and still(pun intended) are running great. the smaller stihl saws are made in virginia beach. the larger saws are made in germany or brazil. stihl RS saw chain is top notch, i also like carlton brand saw chain. the best chainsaw bars i have ever used have got to be the windsor brand. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif