Chainsaw Husq vs Stihl

/ Chainsaw Husq vs Stihl #1  

meledward23

Gold Member
Tractor
1025R
I AM NOT LOOKING TO START A BRAND FLAME WAR!!!!!! TAKE THOSE OPINIONS ELSEWHERE!!!!!
People who own both brands are the preffered response. After all they are both orange.

I own a Husqvarna 55 Chainsaw. My Father in Law owns 2 Stihls one a little small then my Husq and one a fair bit larger. Out of the three saws my blade seems to wear out the fastest everytime. I can go through two new blades in the same time he burns up one, perhaps even more of mine to his one. Regardless of the operator, me or my hired hand whom I have never seen the likes of with a saw.

We use the same oil. My bars I thought/think are in good shape. I believe I replaced them at the beginning of the last chainsaw bonanza. (talking about (2) 8hr days of cutting).

The only difference is I use authentic Husq chains and Authentic STihl chains respectively. I suppose then the chains are really that different? I am trying to find a Stihl chain that matches links and all and see if I notice the difference.

Any of you other dual saw owners have comments?

/ Chainsaw Husq vs Stihl #2  
a lot of better saws have adjustable oil pumps. ideally it should be out of oil when out of gas. if not check the manual and it may have an adj to provide more oil. i have both and the better models of both are great.

/ Chainsaw Husq vs Stihl #3  
I've been told that Oregon Products makes chains for Stihl. (But don't know that as gospel) I've owned a couple Husky's in the past and have a Stihl now. I haven't done "side-by-side" comparisons, but do know I'm happier with my CURRENT Stihl than any saw I've ever owned. BUT.... They were all different sizes, price ranges, and ages. Tough to compare that way.

OK...To further muddy up the issue, I've bought several "Stihl" chains (regardless of who makes them.... Stihl or an out-sourced contractor) One wears decidedly faster than the rest, even though they were all the EXACT SAME CHAIN.

What I'd suggest trying is, find out what size (pitch) chain your Husky uses, and get a "Stihl" chain for it. See if that makes any difference. Check the oiler. Like it was already mentioned, you should be using almost a full tank of oil per tank of gas.

Make certain the roller tip isn't worn or loose. (assuming you even have the roller tip (bar end). Without that, chains don't hold up on ANY saw)

And don't be suprised if this thread evolves into a "color war"!

3 things seem to stir the most controversy on the internet (not including politics or religion)

1. Pick-up truck brands

2. Tractor Brands

3. Chain Saw Brands.

OK, I'm about to throw my Stihl saw in my Dodge truck, and head out to the woods to use my John Deere tractor, and cut some fire wood. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Chainsaw Husq vs Stihl #4  
Are you talking about the chain wearing out -- as in sloppy fit on the cogs and stretching -- or are you talking about the teeth getting dull?

I have a Stihl chain on my Husqvarna saw, and like it a lot. It seems to hold an edge better than most.

As for saws, I have never owned anything except my Husky 55. I have both Husky and Stihl trimmers, though and prefer the Husky because it always starts easy, while I have to fiddle with the Stihl. My Husky 225 trimmer and 55 saw are 12 or 13 years old and have put up with an incredible amount of abuse and neglect.

/ Chainsaw Husq vs Stihl
Good Question, I am refering to the dullness issue.

Yes, I have Roller bars.... and I plan on making a move to a stihl chain on the Husq when I find a match to try it out and see.

But, in the meantime I am going to check the oil issue. I cant exactl recall how the oil runs compared to the gas on my machine.

/ Chainsaw Husq vs Stihl #6  
Hey Mathew,
I have the husq rancher 55 as well. I have noticed that the oil runs out pretty close to the same time as the gas. There is maybe 2 or 3 ounces of oil left when I fill her up.

Now I have the husky and an old Homelite. One thing I did notice as far as chains was on the old homelite. The homelite is smaller and I have not had much luck sharpening chains (until recently when I got a tool for the dremel), so, I would just go buy a new chain when the saw dust looked like grits. Always got Oregon with the execption of once when I couldn't find one and went with an offbrand (MTD/lawnboy or something like that I think).

I could usually get a year or two out of the Oregon chains - easy, but, this other chain lasted maybe a month of moderate to lite cutting and was dull as a butter knife. I threw it in the trash and haven't used anything but Oregon since.

My husky is probably going to need a new chain this year and I have been debating on getting the husky chains or sticking with Oregon - haven't made up my mind but will keep watching this thread. So far I have NO complaints with the husy saw or the chain.

-Eddie

/ Chainsaw Husq vs Stihl #7  
My firewood processor came with Oregon chain. I had a lot of problems with stretching and keeping it sharp. Mind you, this is a processor, no hitting the ground. I switched to Stihl RS full chisel chain and no more stretch, sharp all day.

/ Chainsaw Husq vs Stihl #8  
I have a Stihl bought in '75 (right, 30 years ago) and have used it extensively and still have the original bar.
Interesting differences you are observing, and guess I'll stick to the Stihl chains and drive sprockets.

/ Chainsaw Husq vs Stihl #9  
Do you mean that a container full of the bar & chain oil is designed to run out with full tank of fuel? It seems that my oil always run out sooner. Is there an adjuster to control the flow of the oil?

/ Chainsaw Husq vs Stihl #10  
Theoretically, you should run out of gas before you run out of oil. However, a lot of users turn the oiler way up, for the obvious reason. Really, you need to fuel and oil before you run out. It's not good for the saw to run out of fuel, and it's not good for the bar and chain to run out of oil.