CHAINSAW ADVICE NEEDED

/ CHAINSAW ADVICE NEEDED #1  

3RRL

Foothills of the Giant Sequoia's, California
Tractor
55HP 4WD KAMA 554 and 4 x 4 Jinma 284
Hi,
I'm wondering if any of you have any input on chainsaws. I'm comparing a MAKITA PRO 18" CHAINSAW 54cc DCS540-18 to a HUSQUEVARNA 52cc 18" Model 350e 52cc.

My question is, if I can get them for about the same price, which one is the better saw? I know it's a broad question and depends on my useage, but for those in the know, if you had a chance to buy one of these for the same price, which one would you get and why.
Thanks,

/ CHAINSAW ADVICE NEEDED #2  
Husky, just my opinion, I think it will be a better saw. I own a husky & love it . If if were a miter saw or a drill I would say makita, that is the business they are in. Husky is in the out door power equip. business.

/ CHAINSAW ADVICE NEEDED #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Husky, just my opinion, I think it will be a better saw. I own a husky & love it . If if were a miter saw or a drill I would say makita, that is the business they are in. Husky is in the out door power equip. business. )</font>

I totally agree......

Husqvarna is a major name in chainsaws.. I cant say I have ever seen a Makita. I own a 55Rancher and love the way it runs, cut and handles.. You may want to do a search, you'll find lots of chainsaw discussions, several recently..

/ CHAINSAW ADVICE NEEDED
Thanks guys,
I'll do the search. but in case the search engine is still down, I'd appreciate a link to them.

In another comparison, I found that the Stihl was quite a bit more expensive than the comparable Husky. Why is that? Is it that much better or what?

Back to the first comparison, The Husky and Makita. They both are ...respectively...light weight about 10.6lbs and 10.4, similar cc 52 to 54 and have similar features such as side adjustment, auto oil, decompression etc. I don't know what the revs are on the Husky but the Makita was 12,500. It also use a 3/8" chain vs the .325" for the Husky. Makita uses their German subsidiary to make this saw...Dohlmer, I believe, supposed to be the inventors of the chainsaw and the saw is supposed to be super good.
Don't know, that's why I asked.
OK any input on THAT? or on the Stihl comparison? OK OK...I'll look for the chainsaw threads.
Thanks,

/ CHAINSAW ADVICE NEEDED #5  
Hey Rob,
Sorry, I didnt realize the search was down. Here are a couple of recent posts that may help.

1- Husky -this one has some recomendations based on a Husqvarna, I have a link to the site I bought mine through. Got a pretty good price there and they give decent info on the saws.

2- Stihl-this one gives some excellent info regarding most popular brands and quirks they may have.

Stihl is a great saw too. There are other really good saws out there, but I think most will agree that Husqvarna and Stihl are most definitly in the tor 5, if not the top 2.

I cant knock the Makita, maybee someone else can give some info on it. I just have never heard of their chainsaw.

Good luck, I hope these help some.

/ CHAINSAW ADVICE NEEDED #6  
I have a Husky (372XP) and a McCullough, 14" bar, real cheapie.
In my opinion, if the saw runs, a sharp chain is the most important item. I cut the big logs with the Husky and do the little logs with the MC. Probably spend more hours with the little saw.
Another thing is the anti-vibration, check to make sure either saw has that.
3/8 vs. .325 also caught my eye. I seem to like the 3/8 chain, it takes a little bit bigger bite than a .325. Is it possible to get the Husky with the 3/8?

/ CHAINSAW ADVICE NEEDED #7  
3RRL,
How about service for the two brands in your area? I’ve had a variety of saws through the years and have now settled on Stihl and Echo because there are several dealers of both in my area that do service.

MarkV

/ CHAINSAW ADVICE NEEDED #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( 3/8 vs. .325 also caught my eye. I seem to like the 3/8 chain, it takes a little bit bigger bite than a .325. Is it possible to get the Husky with the 3/8? )</font>

I just checked here and several models are available in 3/8".. I dont know if you can change yours or not, some of the real saw guys here can advise you on that.

/ CHAINSAW ADVICE NEEDED #9  
The Husky 350 only runs a .325 X 0.050 H30 chain, but it is a seriously good chain. Be sure to get a 20" bar and chain instead of a 16" or 18", you'll be glad you did.

I've got a Husky 350 set up as above, also a Husky 359 with 20" 3/8" chain, and a Husky 372 with 3/8" 28" chain. They all work great, but I've also got a Stihl 026 PRO with .325 chain 20" bar, a Stihl 028 with .325 chain and 20" bar and a Stihly 046MAG with 3/8" chain and 32" bar. They all are excellent.

Don't worry about .325 vs 3/8", the narrow chains work excellent.

/ CHAINSAW ADVICE NEEDED #10  
I have the husky rancher 20'' bar. It's a great saw .