chainsaw sharpener- would this work ?

/ chainsaw sharpener- would this work ? #1  

Renze

Elite Member
Tractor
Zetor 3011, Zetor 5718
I was thinking about the chainsaw sharpener i've seen at the local smith and the workshop of a national infrstructure company where i worked a few months..

It looks very simple, just a grinding disk mounted under a specific angle, on a pivoting plate that grinds the chain. Would it be do able to make one myself using an old chainsaw bar as holder, to be clamped in the workbench claw, with a plate attached to it that has a hinge with another plate to where a small angle disk grinder is mounted ?

I think that's basically all it is. Or do i overlook something ?
Has anyone done something like this before ? and how well did it work ?

/ chainsaw sharpener- would this work ? #2  
Unless you really want to build your own....you might want to log on to www.HarborFreightusa.com and order the item on the left:

843802-Chain%20sharpener.jpg

I have a similar one from HarborFreight and it does a pretty good job. Right now, the price is as good as it gets.

OkieG

Attachments

• 843802-Chain sharpener.jpg
    843802-Chain sharpener.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 874
   / chainsaw sharpener- would this work ? #3  
A really good chain saw sharpener has an indexer that precisely positions the teeth so that all the teeth are ground to the same length. It also has a fixture for precisely grinding the guides. I think that if you take a close look at a "production" grade stationary sharpener like most of the Stihl shops have, you may not be satisfied with something of the caliber found at Harbor Freight.

/ chainsaw sharpener- would this work ? #4  
I have had really good luck with a Dremel Tool and the $10 chainsaw sharpening attachment. Most of us already have a Dremel laying around, and if you don't then here is your chance! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ chainsaw sharpener- would this work ? #5  
CT_TREE_GUY - I'd be really interested to hear your ideas on chainsaw sharpening. What do you use or do with your dull chains? This is not a challenge but a respectful question. You probably use a chainsaw more than any of us combined. If you sharpen your own - I'm sure you do, what equipment do you use. I have an older Silvey that does the job for me and quite well. Madsen still stocks anything I need to keep it running. Clyde

/ chainsaw sharpener- would this work ? #6  
CT_Tree_Guy had a whole series of posts on how to sharpen chains saws awhile back. Search for them.

/ chainsaw sharpener- would this work ? #7  
I actually use a dremel too. I buy the stones from the Stihl shop.

/ chainsaw sharpener- would this work ?
OkieG, thanks a lot but what will be the mail and handling costs to send it to me in the Netherlands ?? /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

The picture and remarks from the other guys give me a clear idea of what to keep in mind if i do build a jig.

/ chainsaw sharpener- would this work ? #9  
Harbor freight is "Out of Stock" on the sharpener. I know because I tried to order one 2 weeks ago when they had them advertised for $39.99. I ordered an identical one from Cummins Industrial instead for $39.99 and it got to my door step in about 3 days. I've sharpened 4 chains so far and for my needs, I am extremely pleased. I figure I can break even on the cost with about 8 sharpenings. Anything more is gravy.

Regards,
Duber

/ chainsaw sharpener- would this work ? #10  
Here's what I use, fromNorthern Tool - about $20. I like the fact that when I'm out where there isn't any electricity, i can quickly sharpen the chain and get back to work........
1909_lg.jpg