Chainsaw sharpener

/ Chainsaw sharpener #1  

czechsonofagun

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B1750
My buddy has the HF chainsaw sharpener and I used it first time this weekend. I think it is about time to ditch my files and buy one for myself, it is a completely different league.

/ Chainsaw sharpener #2  
I have one. It does the job but not with the same precision as I should imagine with the more expensive machine. I have managed 4 sharpenings on the same chain, but thats about it . Order some extra wheels as they were back ordered.

/ Chainsaw sharpener #3  
I have one. Works well for me. I have 4 chains so I can work for a while before setting up to sharpen.

/ Chainsaw sharpener #4  
I bought one last summer. Not satisfied with the results yet but I seem to get better results everytime I use it. Sure is a lot faster than handfiling and does keep the teeth the same length.

Harry K

/ Chainsaw sharpener #5  
I needed a sharpener for my chains. I've tried the files, I've used the 12V moto-tool types, and none equal having them done by a professional.

So I saw this thread and did some searches on the HF unit.

But I couldn't find it.

Ended up ordering this Northern Industrial Bench or Wall-Mount Chain Saw Sharpener |Chain Sharpeners | Northern Tool + Equipment

All the reviews were great (except those from people that couldn't assemble things). Everybody said the directions were worthless but to download Oregon's manual for the 511a.

So.... what is this HF sharpener? Have I screwed up (certainly wouldn't be the first time)?

Phil

/ Chainsaw sharpener #6  
The HF grinder is a cheap one. Don't know what it is going for now but last your the price came down from near $100 to $39.

All the angles are fixed and cannot be shifted so you are stuck with the factory settings.

Some users complain that there is too much play and I myself don't like the chain clamp as it doesn't seem to grab tightly enough allowing he tooth to shift while grinding.

Summary - it is a useful tool for what it does but it will not match a good quality one. Were I to do it over, I would go with Northern Tool or others.

Harry K

/ Chainsaw sharpener #7  
I have three chainsaws. The HF sharpener works fine with my little 14-inch Homelite Super XL 14-inch chains. It works fine with my Husqvarna 340. But, it doesn't work with my Husqvarna 455 chains because they have an additional offset angle that the sharpener doesn't have.

I'd buy it again -- I think I paid $29, maybe $39. But it paid for itself the first day I had it. At that time I still had a Homelite 360 and a bucket of old chains for it and the XL. It took about 5 minutes each to reclaim several XL 14-inch chains, and maybe 7-10 minutes each for several 24-inch chains.

I only use it when a chain no longer cuts straight. Touch-ups are done after every second tank of gas with a Dremel tool or hand file.

For the Husqvarana 455, I still have to use my 30-year-old Granburg File-N-Joint for precision.

/ Chainsaw sharpener #8  
Phils said:
I needed a sharpener for my chains. I've tried the files, I've used the 12V moto-tool types, and none equal having them done by a professional.

So I saw this thread and did some searches on the HF unit.

But I couldn't find it.

Ended up ordering this Northern Industrial Bench or Wall-Mount Chain Saw Sharpener |Chain Sharpeners | Northern Tool + Equipment

All the reviews were great (except those from people that couldn't assemble things). Everybody said the directions were worthless but to download Oregon's manual for the 511a.

So.... what is this HF sharpener? Have I screwed up (certainly wouldn't be the first time)?

Phil
I've got two of the Northern Sharpeners. You did fine.

/ Chainsaw sharpener
knute_m said:
I have three chainsaws. The HF sharpener works fine with my little 14-inch Homelite Super XL 14-inch chains. It works fine with my Husqvarna 340. But, it doesn't work with my Husqvarna 455 chains because they have an additional offset angle that the sharpener doesn't have.

I did not have the time to try it on my ripping chain, but if it does not work, I may as well spent my money on a more expensive sharpener.