Chain(Saw) Sharpener, where and what kind?

/ Chain(Saw) Sharpener, where and what kind? #31  
gordon21 said:
The orange plastic one from Harbor Freight for $30-40 works fine. I bought one plus an extra couple grinding discs. After doing about 60+ sharpenings, the original wheel is still fine. It will adjust on only one axis, not two. But, for the price, it sure beats hand filing if you are doing stumps or lots of close to the ground work where one minute your blade is fine and the next it is ruined again from hitting a rock.

Ditto. I have one of these and it works great - cheap and quick for sharpening.

/ Chain(Saw) Sharpener, where and what kind?
Is it as easy with moving the chain as the Oregon??? What does it mean to "index"??

/ Chain(Saw) Sharpener, where and what kind? #33  
My cheapo Harbor Freight sharpener adjusts on the second axis - by shimming :)

To get it where I felt it was right for the Oregon chains for my Poulan, I used 3 quarters under the rotating "angle" base to get the vertical angle right. Works real well after that. I haven't set it up for my Stihl chains yet.

I'm sure I only paid $29.95 for it on sale, and for the money I couldn't be happier.

/ Chain(Saw) Sharpener, where and what kind? #34  
CJ4 said:
I'm clearing several acres of brush and I go thru dulling chains real often. I have a guy who's been sharpening my chains but if I could find a good machine i'd buy one and do it myself. Where can I find a good deal on one??? What's the easiest to use and best one to buy??? Thanks

Buy the one from Northern TOol. The one from Harbor Freight is a POS. Ask me how I know?
Greg Harrison

/ Chain(Saw) Sharpener, where and what kind? #35  
Three times I have brought a copy of Harborfreight internet sale catalog items and had it honored at the local retail store. I had to pay sales tax but saved shipping charges.
Check their internet site for prices and print out a page before you go to the retail store.

/ Chain(Saw) Sharpener, where and what kind? #36  
I was new to all of this woodcutting here about 6 years ago and when I first started cutting I would take the chains off and down to the local lawn and garden and have them sharpened. Like Timber, about the last four years I have found it much easier to simply service the chain everytime I cut wood. It only adds about 5 minutes on my big saw (Husky 372 with a 32" bar) and about 3 min on my limbing saw (McCullogh with an 18" bar). Everytime I use the big saw I pull the bar anyway to clean the chain guide , oil passages and grease the bar sprocket so it is really not much more work. The limbing saw hardley ever hits the dirt or gets into something to big for it so I only get after that chain when I feel the saw slow down or when I have to break it down to service the bar or bar oil feed....:D

/ Chain(Saw) Sharpener, where and what kind? #37  
61flattop said:
I was new to all of this woodcutting here about 6 years ago and when I first started cutting I would take the chains off and down to the local lawn and garden and have them sharpened. Like Timber, about the last four years I have found it much easier to simply service the chain everytime I cut wood. It only adds about 5 minutes on my big saw (Husky 372 with a 32" bar) and about 3 min on my limbing saw (McCullogh with an 18" bar). Everytime I use the big saw I pull the bar anyway to clean the chain guide , oil passages and grease the bar sprocket so it is really not much more work. The limbing saw hardley ever hits the dirt or gets into something to big for it so I only get after that chain when I feel the saw slow down or when I have to break it down to service the bar or bar oil feed....:D

As for the bar oil feed, on mine, I mix a little gas in with the bar oil on occasion to kind of thin it some, seems to work ok.

/ Chain(Saw) Sharpener, where and what kind? #38  
61flattop said:

32" bar? What the heck are you cutting down there in So Indiana anyhow?

~paul

/ Chain(Saw) Sharpener, where and what kind? #39  
I just ordered myself the NorthernTool sharpener. It's still on sale for $89.

Matt

/ Chain(Saw) Sharpener, where and what kind? #40  
HangtownMatt said:
I just ordered myself the NorthernTool sharpener. It's still on sale for $89.

Matt
You won't be sorry, except you might wish you got two.