transmission noise

/ transmission noise #1  

racincrazy

I have a Farm Pro 2420 that I recently purchased used with 36 hours on it. The tranny gear box seems to make a lot of noise. It only does it when thr creeper is in high and the other high-low gearbox is in low. It sounds like it is rattling, like it has marbles in it. It does it in 1st 2nd and 3rd. If I put the creeper in low and the other in high it seems pretty quiet. I have checked the fluid levels and they are full. Other than that I really like the tractor. I have had it less than two weeks and already put almost 30 hours on it.
It was built in sept of 2005. I was looking at the specs for it online and the websites show it to have a 2 cylinder but it has the Y380 3 cylinder.
Thanks

/ transmission noise #2  
Geared tractor transmissions (as opposed to hydrostatic) are noisy to start with. Chinese geared tractor transmissions are even noisier. New Chinese geared tractor transmission are noisier yet. If this is your first tractor, it's just something you'll get used to with time.

But your "marble" description is one I haven't heard before. It may not even be the tranny. I suggest you get your box of sockets and wrenches out and tighten everything down good. Start with the nuts/bolts that hold the engine to the bell housing to the creeper box to the tranny housing.

//greg//

/ transmission noise #3  
I'v heard a (somewhat loose) ball bearing rattle like that... Not sure what kind of bearings are inthat tranny.. but I'd check lube livel and make sure it was full of good clean lube.. and 'monitor' the sound.. etc.

Soundguy

/ transmission noise #4  
This sound is normal and seems to be caused by chatter in the reverse idler gear in a certain combination of creeper and hi low range as you mention. Do check oil levels and if you still have the original oil in the gearbox, I would change it. It can take a long time for the front cavity to fill as the oil must flow through a bearing from the main cavity of the tranmssion. It is not a bad idea to pull the front cover (the one with the creeper shifter) and look inside for adequate oil. but with the levers in the positions you mention, you will hear the gears.

/ transmission noise #5  
My Nortrac 254 makes a good amount of transmission noise when the creeper gear is in the High Range. When it is in Low, the transmission is quiet. I do most of my work with the creeper gear in low so it does not bother me much. I have about 600 hours on mine.

/ transmission noise #6  
I'm thinking about buying a Farm pro 2424 with 140 hour 2 wheel dr. 20 hp
2003 model how much is it worth seller wants $3300.00

/ transmission noise #7  
We have a FarmPro 20hp and it's got a somewhat rattlely tranny on it too. I was just thinking that last weekend while on it. But it works ok. There are more important things to look for problems. Check the battery to see if it's original. Also, check the charging system and see if it's working. Is the green dash light on ? (shouldn't be) Check over the filters and the oil. Does the power steering pull to the left. Or are corrections always needed on the steering input ? How about the power. Does it seem to be ok ?
As for the price. Ours was $4995 new at a local dealer. The price seems reasonable if it's been serviced and kept repaired. Just remember that it is a chinese built tractor. Are you handy to keep it working ?

Steve

/ transmission noise #8  
racincrazy, if you have the normal marbel sound and if your tractor still has the Chinese gear box oil in it ??? ........ changing the gear box oil to a multi weight gear oil has changed/help the marble noise in some for me.

Make sure oil is getting into the creeper box it self.

Ronald
Ranch Hand Supply

/ transmission noise #9  
I quieted mine done a lot by putting in GL1 gear lube. The thicker lube also makes for easier shifting on the fly. The original 30W oil is in my opinion too thin. I realize some transmissions use light oil, like my Ford pickup, but straight cut gears sound a lot better with the heavier GL1. If you go with the heavier lube you will have to allow time for it to weep through the connecting holes to the different sections of the transmission when filling. I took the creeper shift cover off to get the last of the 30W out and make filling faster with the GL1.

/ transmission noise #10  
Whether or not it does anything about your particular "noise", I agree with Rick. GL1 and MT1 are much safer for use with yellow metals (which are still used to some degree in these Chinese gear assemblies). Unfortunately, they're not widely available as multi-viscosity lubricants. I'm still searching for an 85W140 GL1 or MT1 source in my area.

//greg//