Boom Pressure on JW3 BH

/ Boom Pressure on JW3 BH
Well after all this time I finally got the boom cylinder open. How many of these seals CAN be replaced. I did find an oil ring that was on the inside of one of the parts was torn. Also the teflon seals (the ones that have and angle to them) one has a bit of wear. The other thing that I saw was a plastic ring (between the teflon seals) has a break in it (it is broke in a 45%), IS IT SUPPOSE TO BE LIKE THAT? The way I see it, it is a stiff part and I see no other way to replace it without breaking it.
Circle G suggested I open the cylinder and compare the parts to the picture they have on line. There is MY OTHER PROBLEM, the pictures on line and the parts on my cylinder do not seem to match. UNLESS you cannot relpace the large teflon seals and that ring that I was talking about (above). I guess I will find out. ,,,James

/ Boom Pressure on JW3 BH #12  
James,
The blue piece in the center of the piston that is "broken" at a 45° angle is a rigid nylon guide sleeve. It is supposed to be like that. It keeps the piston centered in the bore (other types have only o-rings for guides, you got lucky). The cup seals that are on the ends of the piston are the ones to replace. These are the same on both types of pistons, as is the rod seal. The other o-rings in Phillip's kit won't fit your application but the main pieces will. Don't damage any o-rings, you can't get replacements at NAPA. You will have to order by size and description from Circle-G or Keno Tractors.

Well, now what. I went NAPA to see if I could get any parts for the cylinder. NO LUCK. Keep in mind it is a small town. SO, I called Circle G and talked to them. The picture of the rebuild kit is completely different. He said there is another picture to go with it but I could not get it to come up. The parts guy said that based on how I said the parts looked like that none of the parts where the same. I need an idea how to get this rebuild kit. I am going to look at the Farm Pro site and see what they have. The nearest BIG town is about 60 miles from here. And I have to work, so I don't have time to go there, but on weekends and they are closed. BELOW IS PICS of the varies parts.

http://pic40.picturetrail.com/VOL299/8362699/17240595/267513981.jpg
http://pic40.picturetrail.com/VOL299/8362699/17240595/267513972.jpg
http://pic40.picturetrail.com/VOL299/8362699/17240595/267513961.jpg
http://pic40.picturetrail.com/VOL299/8362699/17240595/267513952.jpg

/ Boom Pressure on JW3 BH #14  
Looking at your pictures it looks almost identical to the Power steering cylinder that I rebuilt a couple years ago on our 2420. Tommy at Affordable tractors had the rebuild kit for it. Maybe he's got one for yours as well.

Steve

/ Boom Pressure on JW3 BH #15  
James,
I see your guide sleeve is black. No difference.
The green polymer cup seals are the ones you want to replace (along with the rod lip seal). They roll off and on the ends of the piston. These are a pretty standard 2-1/2" cylinder, no rocket science at all, just make sure the cup sides are facing the piston ends. You may want to de-burr the piston edges with some 220 grit emery cloth, those edges are kinda sharp and can damage a new seal. You will also need to de-burr the end of the cylinder where the locking ring lands are otherwise you may damage the new seals and O-rings trying to insert the piston into the cylinder. You will need to carefully cinch up a piston ring compressor (preferred) or a hose clamp on the first seal prior to insertion, and let it take a set for about 15 min.

UPDATE:
I could not find the parts any where at all. I do have two other place to go so I can see the parts in person. How I tell them what they look like and what they say they have just does not match. Don't want to sent them back and forth (shipping is a killer). SO I was on a parts site for the backhoe and they had the cylinder for half of what everyone else sells them for, so I bought it. Got here in 2 days and I installed it this morning (sat).
Did not fix the problem. Same problem, but it just happaned right away not 20 mins later. I want to believe that the new cylinder is good and I know or want to believe that the new valve assy I installed is OK. I do not see any obstructions in the lines (fluid flow like it is suppose to) AND you know that I said I swapped the lines with the dipper cylinder and it did not improve (before). This problem started back when I first bought it (tractor, FEL, and BH installed) Since then I replace/changed the fluids, installed a NEW filter, new valve assy, boom cylinder, adjusted the pressure valve (mechanic told me to turn it in all the way till it bottoms out), told me it will not hurt anything. This has got me troubled. WHAT ELSE CAN IT BE. Mechanic still said it is the pump (150.00). This backhoe has sat on the ground more that it is used (@ 10 hours, assuming it was new). ,,, James

/ Boom Pressure on JW3 BH #17  
heartservant said:
UPDATE:adjusted the pressure valve (mechanic told me to turn it in all the way till it bottoms out), told me it will not hurt anything. ,,, James

The mechanic told you to do WHAT!

James
Is that mechanic going to restore your vishion or pay for your medical bills when something blows up in your face?

I would reccomend that before proceeding any further, You install a pressure gauge and set the pressure relief to the manufacturers specifications. If you have been applying too much pressure, depending upon how much stress that boom is under mechanically, you may have damaged the new cylinder in the same way the old cylinder is broken if indeed that is the problem.

Untill you put a pressure gauge on the system and observe what it is reading while you are performing the boom movements either with it's normal circuit or from another circuit, you are not going to know exactly what is happening. The gauge would also confirm pump operation.

Or pack the whole thing onto a trailer along with your manuals and take it to a local shop that repairs hydraulics.

Good Luck

/ Boom Pressure on JW3 BH #18  
That mechanic is a UNEDUCATED MORON!. He disgraces the profession. Don't listen to anything he says. I concur with RonMar about getting a pressure guage installed in your system (3,000psi minimum, and installed with schedule 80 pipe fittings). If you don't feel comfortable in doing this, please load up your tractor and take it to a QUALIFIED hydraulic shop or tractor dealer. They should at least be ASAE certified. It will be money well spent, and probably save your life.

I find it hard to believe that somebody will sell a new OEM boom/jib cylinder for half price. Something is fishy.

Bob Rooks said:
That mechanic is a UNEDUCATED MORON!. He disgraces the profession. Don't listen to anything he says. I concur with RonMar about getting a pressure guage installed in your system (3,000psi minimum, and installed with schedule 80 pipe fittings). If you don't feel comfortable in doing this, please load up your tractor and take it to a QUALIFIED hydraulic shop or tractor dealer. They should at least be ASAE certified. It will be money well spent, and probably save your life.

I find it hard to believe that somebody will sell a new OEM boom/jib cylinder for half price. Something is fishy.

I am trying to do all the above, He is good with tractor though, maybe the backhoe is strange to him. I did change the valve assy because he said that whould fix the problm as well as the leaks. The major part of the leaks are gone (there is one still there but I can not seem to find it). When I was in the AIR FORCE I was familar with HYD because I worked on Jet Aircrafts (A-10, F-15, OA-37) BUT this is just greek to me OR I have been away from them for so long. But did I tell you I am in the National Guard now, Combat Vet in both branches. Just came back from Afganistan last year.

As for the cylinder, well I bought it from a well know distributer of parts for both Jinma/ FarmPro. I think that just maybe they are starting to phase these things out (JW-03), I talked to another company and even they have started to come down on their prices, hard to sell (they say theirs are @250.00 now. Mine was less than that though. AND it was in brand new condition. ,,, James