Oil & Fuel Kama 554 Front Axle Oil Change

/ Kama 554 Front Axle Oil Change #1  

3RRL

Foothills of the Giant Sequoia's, California
Tractor
55HP 4WD KAMA 554 and 4 x 4 Jinma 284
No big deal here.
Among my 400 hour tractor maintenance for my Kama 554 was to change the front axle gear oil. There are 3 drain plugs to get rid of all the old oil. One under the front differential and one on each "final drive" of the front wheels. Be sure to get all 3 drained and remove all the fill plugs (3) for venting.

BTW, you will need bigger containers for the two drains on the final drive than I did. They take over 2 quarts each, so I had a little oil spill to deal with. I had to plug them when the quart bottles overflowed. I think a large coffee can would have fit under there, which holds about 2 quarts.

I re-filled with 9-1/2 quarts of Havoline 85w/145 gear oil. Not synthetic, just regular good stuff I bought at Napa in a 5 gallon pail. Book calls for 90w, but I like the 85w/140. I thought about using synthetic, but couldn't find a 5 gallon pail. There are also 3 fill plugs on the 554. One that has the vent tube which is on the axle housing, and one on each final front drive. No need to use the ones on the final drive when re-filling. The one on the axle housing fills them all. I questioned this because the book lists the 354 as having separate capacities for the axle housing and final drives, but not for the 554. There is just one quantity listed for the entire front end drive so I wasn't sure if the final drives would fill or not? I checked after re-filling when I opened the drain plugs and new oil started to come out, plus it took the 9-1/2 quarts completely.

I say this because when I first got the tractor, I changed the oil but did not drain the final drive units ... I did not see those drain plugs. So when I went to fill it with the 9-1/2 quarts, it over flowed and I questioned the amount it took. It wasn't until a year later that I saw the drain plugs on each final drive hub! :confused:

/ Kama 554 Front Axle Oil Change #2  
Once again - another great post, I am going to do this with my 354 too. I would guess the same weight oil would be recommended for mine too.

/ Kama 554 Front Axle Oil Change #3  
Make sure your vent is not plugged. When I blew through the pipe, it was totally plugged from mud daubers.

I checked the level and found it to be low so I added several quarts till it showed the correct level. After operating the tractor a few hours, it started leaking oil out the vent. When I removed the vent plug I found that the front axle was completely full. This was all done on the level so ???????

I didn't drain any back out yet as I don't think it will hurt as long as the vent is open and pressure doesn't build up. I really am at a loss as to why it was low at one time and overfull when I added some to the correct level line.

Any ideas out there?