Jinma 224 shuttle shift problem...Help please!

/ Jinma 224 shuttle shift problem...Help please! #1  

TSMART

Silver Member
Tractor
jinma jm 224
OK. I cannot get into forward or reverse. Shuttle shift is "free-wheeling". I traced the mechanics of it from the shifter in my hand, all is well until you get to the actual forward/reverse lever on the right side of the trans.(under floorboard) That lever is completely free-wheeling. Both ways. It looks like the lever is not moving the shaft it is mounted on.

Is there a shear pin that attaches that MAIN LEVER to the shaft it is on? If so, I couldn't see it at all...and my tractor is pretty clean there.

For now, the tractor is in the middle of my road, and it is certainly not going to move till I figure something out!

Thanks!

/ Jinma 224 shuttle shift problem...Help please! #2  
TSMART,
Sounds like the roll pin sheared/broke on the rod/shaft going into the side of the trans cover.

If so, you will need to remove the floor pan so you can replace it.

Jinma Technical Assistance

Ronald
Ranch Hand Supply.

/ Jinma 224 shuttle shift problem...Help please!
I am pretty sure thats what it is....taking off the floor pan seems like a job I could do, I know I cant get to that part any other way.

That being said, is there any procedure (like Jons tractor) on how to do it, or do you just go at it?

If removing the floorpan will give me the access I must have (cant see the roll pin) then I would like to attempt it. Only other way is to have the dealer come out (expensive).......to make a house call.

I can't even get channel locks on the shaft to move it into forward until I remove that lever....

/ Jinma 224 shuttle shift problem...Help please! #4  
If you look hard you will see the hole,now it will have to be re-aligned to put the new roll pin in,we have had some customers get a nail in there long enough to get it in forward so it could be loaded on a trailer for them to bring it into our shop for repair.

Tommy
Affordable Tractor Sales

/ Jinma 224 shuttle shift problem...Help please! #5  
TSMART said:
I am pretty sure thats what it is....taking off the floor pan seems like a job I could do, I know I cant get to that part any other way.

That being said, is there any procedure (like Jons tractor) on how to do it, or do you just go at it?

If removing the floorpan will give me the access I must have (cant see the roll pin) then I would like to attempt it. Only other way is to have the dealer come out (expensive).......to make a house call.

I can't even get channel locks on the shaft to move it into forward until I remove that lever....
Don't know if it will help or not, but I posted about repairing the shuttle shift on my Kama 554 here:
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98554
There might be some similarities?

OK. Now, I would like to share with you a learning experience for me. The lever that was free-wheeling was not FORWARD at the entrance to the shuttle shift. Nope, I am back at the PIVOT lever thinking thats where I am going to find a roll pin Cause this lever moves freely.

Oh , it gets funnier than that.

So I am back at this shuttle shift pivot lever under my seat, saying, well, the only way to get this thing off is to remove the brake bracket which is right there. Dont see where I have to move the floorboard...what does tommy know anyway (lol) So hoping not to get a facefull of fluid (laughing yet??) I removed two big bolts and moved the brake bracket out of the way. Now I can get the lever off and see where this roll pin is.

OK, off to true value to get a "clip" remover which keeps this lever on its shaft. Now I remove this lever and theres no roll pin there. Why????

Because its a PIVOT, I am a DUMMY and now I follow the shaft forward to miraculously find the REAL shaft with the shear pin missing. This little diagnosis only took two hours to find out. Yes, I didnt know where the darn shuttle shift action really was happening. Meanwhile my wife is standing by to make sure the tractor doesnt fall on me, while spraying the area to keep the mosquitos away from me. Great gal she is....

Yet there I am, looking at all the pics of the shuttle shift cover removed, (idiot) saying to myself, boy, no help here, this thing certainly doesnt look like the pic.

So I went to the local jinma store, bought the roll pin, and tomorrow I am going to put it in.

The lesson here is I learned something, I betcha that new roll pin will shear again; and I will now now how to do it.

I also got a big dinner for being the hero (to my wife) and figuring out how to fix the tractor.

Just wanted to share this blab with all you folks who take a little of your time to try help a (whatever) to do the job.

And I fix laser printers for a living. There, Does that make your day??? Thanks!!!

/ Jinma 224 shuttle shift problem...Help please! #7  
TSMART said:
I betcha that new roll pin will shear again
The TS354C roll pin is readily accessible, so I didn't have to go through all the gyrations you did with that Jinma. But I didn't trust the replacement either, I'm just using a large Cotter key instead.

Seems there's a critical (and fragile) roll pin in the clutch linkage too, one that requires you split the tractor to replace. Recommendation to those folks has been to buy two roll pins; one the size of the original, and a smaller one to go inside the replacement. Double strength roll pin(s) to delay having to split the tractor again (for that reason anyway). If you can find a pair of pins the right size, that concept might work for your shuttle linkage too.

//greg//

/ Jinma 224 shuttle shift problem...Help please! #8  
TSMART,
Glad you got it figured out. The first time is always the tuffest.

I have had one to break that was under warranty and one break while we were doing our PDSA. After that we started replaceing them all before we drive the tractor out of the shop.

The ones that broke looked/appeared to be a thin walled roll pin and did not have much spring steel in it. Not all of the new ones that we replaced where/have been the same thickness and where more of a split pin rather than a true roll pin.

If you replaced it with a good quality roll pin and fit .... I doubt it will break again. By keeping/useing a roll pin will keep the hole from getting egg shaped and keeping it from getting loose/sloppy at that linkage connection which you don't want.

Sounds like it is good to be King !

Ronald
Ranch Hand Supply

I got the pin in; the Jinma dealer said to do exactly as ronmar said....pin within the pin. Tractor Supply had a roll pin (not metric) which fit right in there.

Maybe a pro could have done this without removing the floorboard, but I sure had to. I wonder if theres a special tool to get these things in when you just cant whack it with a hammer.

We will see how long this one lasts. The tractor is back to work. 171 hours and nothing major yet.

/ Jinma 224 shuttle shift problem...Help please! #10  
Thanks for the vote of confidence,at least I can refer all my customers that want to remove the circlip off the brake petal to you now.Just kidding(I may need my printer fixed some day) Glad you got it going

Tommy
Affordable Tractor Sales