POWER STEERING PROBLEM W/ KAMA 554

/ POWER STEERING PROBLEM W/ KAMA 554 #1  

skipstrucks

HELLO, I WAS READING YOUR THREADS IN THE CHINA TRACTOR SECTION AND WONDERED IF YOU COULD HELP ME WITH A PROBLEM OF MINE. MY PS JUST QUIT WORKING! I THOUGHT IT MIGHT HAVE AIR IN IT AND TRIED BLEEDING IT WITHOUT ANY RESULTS. SO I DECIDED SOMETHING IN THE GEARBOX MIGHT HAVE COME LOSE AND I TOOK IT APART TO FIND NOTHING WRONG. ONE PROBLEM WAS A ROLL PIN AND BALL BEARING. I COULD NOT FIGURE OUT WHAT THE ROLL PIN WAS FOR AND ON WHICH SIDE OF IT THE BALL WAS ON. NEXT I TOOK THE CYLINDER OFF AND FOUND THAT THE NUT HOLDING THE SEAL / WASHER HAD COME OFF. I PUT IT BACK TOGETHER AND STILL NOTHING. I PUT HEAVIER OIL IN AND ADDED PRESSURE STILL NOTHING. CAN YOU HELP? EXPLAIN THE ROLL PIN / BALL TO ME AND WHICH SIDE IT GOES ON. THANKS, SKIP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

/ POWER STEERING PROBLEM W/ KAMA 554 #2  
skipstrucks said:
HELLO, I WAS READING YOUR THREADS IN THE CHINA TRACTOR SECTION AND WONDERED IF YOU COULD HELP ME WITH A PROBLEM OF MINE. MY PS JUST QUIT WORKING! I THOUGHT IT MIGHT HAVE AIR IN IT AND TRIED BLEEDING IT WITHOUT ANY RESULTS. SO I DECIDED SOMETHING IN THE GEARBOX MIGHT HAVE COME LOSE AND I TOOK IT APART TO FIND NOTHING WRONG. ONE PROBLEM WAS A ROLL PIN AND BALL BEARING. I COULD NOT FIGURE OUT WHAT THE ROLL PIN WAS FOR AND ON WHICH SIDE OF IT THE BALL WAS ON. NEXT I TOOK THE CYLINDER OFF AND FOUND THAT THE NUT HOLDING THE SEAL / WASHER HAD COME OFF. I PUT IT BACK TOGETHER AND STILL NOTHING. I PUT HEAVIER OIL IN AND ADDED PRESSURE STILL NOTHING. CAN YOU HELP? EXPLAIN THE ROLL PIN / BALL TO ME AND WHICH SIDE IT GOES ON. THANKS, SKIP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Skip,
First of all, you say you added hydraulic fluid...heavier so we can rule out the no-fluid situation. That's what happened to me and I didn't know the PS had it's own reservoir under the hood. lol... I could turn the steering wheel all day and nothing happened!
Then I looked in the Kama manual and saw a ball bearing race and circlip, but nothing resembling a roll pin in there. It looks like all hydraulics to me, except where the steering shaft fits into the steering box. So no help there.
Try reving up the engine rpms and turning the steering wheel...lift up the front tires with the fel bucket until it starts to respond. Check the filter in the cannister under the hood...is it clogged or dirty? Check for fluid level again after doing all that.

/ POWER STEERING PROBLEM W/ KAMA 554
HI ROB, THANKS FOR THE REPLY. I CRANKED IT UP TO1600 RPMS AND HAD SOMONE WORK THE WHEELS BACK AND FORTH STILL NOTHING. SOMEONE MENTIONED A PRESSURE RELIEF VALVE IN THE PUMP BUT I DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT IT. THE RECIRCULATING BALL BEARING IS LOCATED IN A CHANNEL BEHIND THE TWO UPPER LINES ON THE STEERING BOX . ONE BOLT IS SHORTER AND WHEN REMOVED A SPLIT PIN ABOUT 1 INCH LONG AND AN 1/8 DIA WILL FALL OUT FOLLED BY A 1/4 INCH BALL.??? ITS REALLY FRUSTATED ME. YOU CAN TURN THEWHEEL FOREVER AND NOTHING HAPPENS, BUT YOU CAN FEELA LITTLE PRESSURE / RESISTANCE FROM FLUID MOVEMENT. PS THE FLUID IS VERY CLEAN. THANKS, SKIP

/ POWER STEERING PROBLEM W/ KAMA 554 #4  
The pressure relief valve is actually inside this particular pump, and it is in fact problematic. It's why I need 50W fluid so that I can steer in the heat of July/August. Anything thinner and the steering just doesn't work when the fluid heats up. But if yours doesn't work hot or cold, heavier fluid isn't going to work for you.

I suggest loosening both hydraulic fittings at the cylinder itself. The inside one is hard to torque properly, I ended up using a 22mm crows foot on a 1/2" ratchet. Anyway, with both fiittings loose, start the engine and turn the steering wheel in both directions. If you don't get a forceful flow outa both sides, you probably need a new pump. If you do get the desired flow, the problem is pretty much narrowed down to the cylinder.

The only variable in this is the fact that you've already attacked the steering controller. If that wasn't reassembled properly, all bets are off.

//greg//