Snow New Jinma 160 snow blower used today for the first time.

/ New Jinma 160 snow blower used today for the first time. #1  

doxford jim

Veteran Member
Tractor
1959 MF-65 sold, 2007 Jinma 554 diesel.
Well, today being such a nice day, -4C and bright and sunny (all afternoon anyway) I thought I would try out the snow blower I bought to go with the new tractor.

At first I didn't think it would work too well as the height for the blower ipout shaft is 18" and the PTO output shaft 23" giving a 5" difference over a length of about 34". It just didn't look right. Anyhow, I went ahead and tried it and there was no problem with the PTO shaft - it worked well.

The blower, well that is another story. I have never used a PTO driven blower before so it has been a learning curve for me. One thing I found annoying is changing the shear pins/bolts. The original ones were just junk really and sheared as soon as the blower made contact with the snow. So for a while there I was pretty much chasing ghosts and replacing bolts. Once I had changed them all for grade 5 bolts, things settled down quite a bit. Spent quite a bit of time trying different gears etc. and found the best rpm was 720 - I don't have 1000rpm PTO. I guess the blower is probably built for the 1000rpm output. I didn't get a manual with it so everything I am doing is by guess work here. Also found that I needed to adjust the lift arms quite a bit to get the best postion overall.

I was able to shoot the snow some twenty feet or so, but no more than that. What do you other owners get when using your blower? I also found that I need to put up a sheet of clear plexiglass or lexan, to stop the snow making me a cold white colour!!!

I don't know if I would recommend anyone else buying the Jinma blower. I am sure the other Canadian brands are probably a lot better and not too much more in price. The Jinma appears to be a pretty light construction and the chute rotation is manual with a cable wrapped around the chute, turnd by a hand crank.

I guess, like anything else, operating one of the snowblowers takes a bit of practice. Hopefully I will get to be a bit better using it next time.

Jim

/ New Jinma 160 snow blower used today for the first time. #2  
Grade 5 just seems a little strong for a shear pin. Did you try softer grade 2? I would be concerned about damage if you found a hidden stone, stick or something. I would think it would be made for 540rpm at the pto, but higher is ok if you use less engine rpms and you have the power. Just guesses on my part. My Blizzard blower shoots the snow anywhere from 20-30' depending on how wet the snow is.

/ New Jinma 160 snow blower used today for the first time. #3  
shvl73 said:
Grade 5 just seems a little strong for a shear pin.

I agree. If you run grade 5 bolts you will at best break or bend a PTO shaft. At worst you will damage the drive line on your tractor(say a rock goes through it). If a good grade 2 bolt from an American hardware store won't hold then something is wrong with the blower.