Nortrac dozer steering problem

/ Nortrac dozer steering problem #11  
Fwiw, Cat D3 parts, owners, and service manuals will run you about $400. Well written and codified, they assume you know nothing.
As an aside, while you are under the machine you should remove the larger hex head steering clutch compartment drain plugs for inspection. Nothing but dust should come out. If oil comes out then either the final drive or transmission case seals are leaking, which would compromise the effectiveness of the brake.

/ Nortrac dozer steering problem #12  
I made the suggested adjustments and got the same results, so put all adjustment back to original settings and now have left side control, but very little right side, at least enough to suggest nothing is broken inside. Back to square one. Any suggestions?

/ Nortrac dozer steering problem #13  
I made the suggested adjustments and got the same results, so put all adjustment back to original settings and now have left side control, but very little right side, at least enough to suggest nothing is broken inside. Back to square one. Any suggestions?
Confusing me with that statement. To paraphrase: Made recommended adjustments - no change. Returned adjustments to previous settings and now the left side works but the right side doesn't.
So now what are the symptoms on the right side? Apparently you changed something. Is the steering clutch not releasing early or late enough? Is the brake applying too late or too early?

/ Nortrac dozer steering problem #14  
Confusing me with that statement. To paraphrase: Made recommended adjustments - no change. Returned adjustments to previous settings and now the left side works but the right side doesn't.
So now what are the symptoms on the right side? Apparently you changed something. Is the steering clutch not releasing early or late enough? Is the brake applying too late or too early?

I actually don't have brakes on right side, but keeping the right peddle pushed in, it does have some steering, but very minimal.

/ Nortrac dozer steering problem #15  
I actually don't have brakes on right side, but keeping the right peddle pushed in, it does have some steering, but very minimal.
What that tells me is that the steering clutches are releasing (maybe not enough) and that the brake isn't applying enough. This is also symptomatic of oily brake lining. Did you remove the "inspection" plugs on the bottom of the compartment?

/ Nortrac dozer steering problem #16  
Has anyone tried changing the brakes? I have removed the inspection covers and the lining is pretty worn, I bought new brakes , It was very difficult but I finally was able to remove one side, however , I have not been able to get the new one in.

/ Nortrac dozer steering problem #17  
I have a similar problem. My clutch seems to slip when driving.. It doesn't like to engage the right track if I am braking with the left track. I have tried resetting to the factory recommendations, and the troubleshooting guide just says "Adjust". Adjust what? Which arm/bolt do I adjust, and which way if I want the clutch to be fully engaged with no slipping when the pedal is completely released?

I have a 2004 nortrac dozer. It will steer to the right but not to the left. When I press on the left steering pedal, it stops the dozer just like applying the brake. I read the manual and followed all the adjustment procedures. So far, no luck in getting the left steering to work. The dozer starts easily and runs fine. I now have to put it in reverse, step on the "right" steering pedal to go "left". It's tough to operate the dozer that way.
Apprearantly, there were some changes at Nortrac. They no longer provide phone support like they used to. Now, they just direct the calls to a contracted service center in my area. All they can tell me is to bring the dozer into their shop. Of course, they want business. They don't get paid talking over the phone. I can undertand that. However, I'm very disappointed with Nortrac's new policy in providing support.:mad: So, before trying to haul this 7000lb beast into their service center, I'm wondering if anyone can help me out. I know some of you here have the Yuchai dozer. It's the same as the Nortrac. Thanks for your help.

/ Nortrac dozer steering problem #18  
Has anyone tried changing the brakes? I have removed the inspection covers and the lining is pretty worn, I bought new brakes , It was very difficult but I finally was able to remove one side, however , I have not been able to get the new one in.

That's because you have to remove the final drives to replace the brake bands without damaging them.
Sorry for the late reply.

/ Nortrac dozer steering problem #19  
I have a similar problem. My clutch seems to slip when driving.. It doesn't like to engage the right track if I am braking with the left track. I have tried resetting to the factory recommendations, and the troubleshooting guide just says "Adjust". Adjust what? Which arm/bolt do I adjust, and which way if I want the clutch to be fully engaged with no slipping when the pedal is completely released?

Hi Mudpuppy, welcome to TBN. Do you have pendulum pedals or are they on the floorboards?

Steering-Brake Adjust.jpg