TS354 -4 Cyl - Vs JM354 3 Cyl or 4 Cyl

/ TS354 -4 Cyl - Vs JM354 3 Cyl or 4 Cyl #1  

TTTTTT

Gold Member
Tractor
Dong Feng 354 (Oct 2008)
I am new to the forum but have been following for a little while. I thinking of getting a crate TS354C which has the Y485 engine (4 cyl). I could also get the JM354 with the above engine or with the 3 cyl engine. Prices are not a huge difference. I have been following the threads and getting the idea that the 3 cyl is the better choice for starting in colder areas etc. For those have experience I would appreciate feedback on choices and experiences including crate or dealer built models. The difference is close to $5000 between crate & built including a loader. Everyone seems quite happy with their JM's and the newer ones seem better and better.

Thanks Ajax, Ontario

/ TS354 -4 Cyl - Vs JM354 3 Cyl or 4 Cyl #2  
The YangDong Y385/485 is notorious for hard starting in the cold, even with compression release. So the fact that my TS354C has none does not please me. I was forced to compensate with a few hundred dollars of aftermarket cold start assistance (two oil pan heaters, glow plug and starter relays, 10ga wiring upgrade). Starts fine now, but much of that would have been unnecessary had the **** thing just come equipped with a compression release.

Long story short, consider the 3 cylinder - if for no other reason than the compression release. I've always felt that 3 cylinders ran smoother than 4 cylinders anyway (something about harmonic balancing).

You might want to take a 2nd look at the price difference between crate and assembled again. I can't help but think you're looking at the FOB China price for crates. Add shipping/customs/delivery costs, and I bet the difference is considerably less than $5K. And when you buy crate, you have no local dealer with whom to work out warranty issues. You wait for months to get (warranty) parts on the slow boat, then have to rely on your own resources to install them. That's gotta carve a chunk outa the "difference" too. Oh, and the crates don't come with assembly instructions. I'm not even sure they include parts inventories.

You might also want to add those costs to the FOB price of a Chinese loader, then take a 2nd look at American aftermarket loaders. There is a GOOD selection of demonstrably better quality loaders being made in America for Chinese tractors. I'm betting that overall, US dealers of Chinese tractors sell more American loaders than they do Chinese.

Mechanically, the TaiShan and the Jinma seem reasonably comparable. Either can be had with 3 or 4 cylinder engines and shuttle shift. If ground clearance is important to you, the TS wins. If weight is important to you, the TS is heavier. In the case of a tie, I'd say dealer support would be the deciding factor.

//greg//

/ TS354 -4 Cyl - Vs JM354 3 Cyl or 4 Cyl
Thanks for the comments. You usually have good things to say. I was quoted $11,700 before taxes (13%) (JM354) and delivery etc. which would come in at about $15500-$16000. The crate with the loader would be $10000 plus taxes and of course my cost to pickup fairly locally. I don't think it would be the JM354LE though and of course I'm on my own with everything else.

Dave

/ TS354 -4 Cyl - Vs JM354 3 Cyl or 4 Cyl #4  
Hi,

You might be better off getting 1 assembled etc.

You could look at JBequipment or Jinma-Simcoe which are both in Ontario and possibly find a comparable price. Google Jinma in Canada.

Probably biggest price difference would be in the loader as I think they both use Frey which are Ontario made and a good product.

I think Chinasbest offers the TS354 alot less than 11K and is delivered to the nearest port if not in stock.

Just a couple of thoughts.

Later and good luck
Tom

/ TS354 -4 Cyl - Vs JM354 3 Cyl or 4 Cyl #5  
You can get the TS with a TY395 3 cylinder engine, which is direct injection, it is the TS354X I have a couple in stock, but since you have to import anyway.... it might be just as easy to ship from China in the crate. I get quite a few calls and emails from people who buy their tractor from the crate broker you mention, which is based in canada. I only wish if they were going to sell tractors they would learn enough about them to take care of their customers. Anothr advantage that TS offers over JM in the 30/35HP class that Greg didn't mention is the availability of a choice of creeper 16f/4rev or shuttle 8for/8rev. To my understaning the JInma only offers 8/2 gear trans and it can be geared a little fast for some applications.

/ TS354 -4 Cyl - Vs JM354 3 Cyl or 4 Cyl #6  
Just as a point of reference, my dealer-assembled and prep'd TS354C with Koyker 160 loader with 1 year parts & labor cost $11,300 (USD) in July of 2006.

//greg//

/ TS354 -4 Cyl - Vs JM354 3 Cyl or 4 Cyl #7  
greg_g said:
Just as a point of reference, my dealer-assembled and prep'd TS354C with Koyker 160 loader with 1 year parts & labor cost $11,300 (USD) in July of 2006.

//greg//

Wow! That's a good deal... Do you have any pics of that tractor with the loader?

/ TS354 -4 Cyl - Vs JM354 3 Cyl or 4 Cyl #8  
greg_g said:

//greg//

Was that new or used ???

Ronald
Ranch Hand Supply

/ TS354 -4 Cyl - Vs JM354 3 Cyl or 4 Cyl
TTTTTT said:
Thanks for the comments. You usually have good things to say. I was quoted $11,700 before taxes (13%) (JM354) and delivery etc. which would come in at about $15500-$16000. The crate with the loader would be $10000 plus taxes and of course my cost to pickup fairly locally. I don't think it would be the JM354LE though and of course I'm on my own with everything else.

Dave

Hi All, Sorry that was $13700 which would still bring the price where in that $15-$16 total range and yes I assume that was with a Can. or Am. loader assembled and prep'd. I haven't decided yet but nice to know some options that you all have mentioned.

Dave

/ TS354 -4 Cyl - Vs JM354 3 Cyl or 4 Cyl #10  
Ranch_Hand_Supp said:
Was that new or used ???
That's the new price Ronald. I still have the original sales invoice dated 7/29/2006. It's for a 2006 model TSC354 w/shuttle was $8300 assembled and prep'd, Koyker 160 w/2" cylinders was $3000 installed. One year parts and labor warranty stated right on the invoice.

Sorry about the shadows in the photo. It was just a quick snap over the fence for the insurance company records.

//greg//

Attachments

• TS354C.jpg
    TS354C.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 441
  • invoice.bmp
    20.4 KB · Views: 374
Last edited: