tie rods

/ tie rods #1  

lakespirit

Silver Member
Tractor
2004 KAMA TS254C
My KAMA TS254C is constantly stripping the threads on the tie rod connection between it and the steering cylinder rod. They're the beefier 18mm parts, but still I am thrashing them very quickly.

/ tie rods #2  
Can you use the diagram to identify which part(s) keep stripping?

//greg//

Attachments

• ts254 front steering.jpg
    ts254 front steering.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 241
   / tie rods #4  
lakespirit said:
P/N 26, the female threads.
I have a problem with mine, only it's with parts 22-23-24. I can't get grease into zerk #22, because the ball end of #24 is blocking the hole in #23. I have to disassemble mine, apply grease, then reassemble. I wonder if the two issues are related?

How far can you get #26 to thread into #23? If I recall correctly, mine threads in all the way. Perhaps if you see too many exposed threads, there might not be enough inside to hold the assembly rigid enough.

//greg//

/ tie rods
It starts with virtually all 24mm engaged, which is all the thread.

/ tie rods #6  
lakespirit said:
It starts with virtually all 24mm engaged, which is all the thread.

I've had the same problem as Greg as far as not being able to get grease in. I've never had one strip though.

I did notice not long after I got the tractor that there was an extreme amount of slop in that joint. I put some more washers in there to shim it.

The socket and ball are good and tight now.

Could be your steering stops on the wheels are letting the wheels turn to far as well.

/ tie rods
Never thought about the stops. If I can get it started, I'll take a look at that. Thanks.

/ tie rods #8  
Right, check the stops.
There was a thread about breaking the tie rod ends ... the casting part. Turned out the stops were not set correctly letting the cylinder continue to push hard on the tie rods, which snapped them off.

/ tie rods #10  
When you turn the wheels as far as they go using the steering wheel, the stops should hit at that moment. Do that for both directions. I actually have mine set so there is a tiny gap left after the wheels are turned their farthest, but I tried to set it to be as I described above. Others may set them differently.