Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Chinese Tractors Aren't Worth the Risk #1  

marrt

Platinum Member
Tractor
Power Trac 1845 and 425
Chinese Tractors Aren\'t Worth the Risk

Like many folks who start looking for a new tractor, I was amazed to find that a small diesel tractor costs almost as much as a new car. Believing that you don’t always “get what you pay for,” and in many cases are paying extra just for the brand, I decided to look into “off brand” tractors like Kioti and NorTrac, who have dealers close to me. The NorTrac is produced by Jinma and this factory produces some of the most popular Chinese imports. However, in general, I was very disappointed. My conclusion…Chinese tractors aren’t worth the risk.

I say this not to start an argument but as a caution to anyone considering a new Chinese tractor. The message is that you take a lot of RISK with a Chinese tractor. Certainly you will find a number of people who have had no problems whatsoever and are very happy with their purchase. You will also find people who were very disappointed. This may be no different than any purchase but the message with Chinese tractors seems to be…it’s a good deal only if you can work on it yourself, are willing to accept limited or no warranty coverage, realize that in most cases you have almost no real dealer support if something major happens (i.e., in most cases you still have to work on it yourself), and realize the resale market is very limited and you will likely “take a bath” if you decide to sell it.

Often, I see people compare the Chinese tractors to the option of buying “a 50 year old American tractor.” I happen to have a Ford 8N myself that I’m looking to upgrade in order to get a loader, power steering, better ergonometrics, etc… Clearly, most Jinma’s have larger engines, power steering available, and better traction with their 4x4 drives. They also have a number of advantages in braking, live PTO, availability of loaders and backhoes, etc… However, the 8N has a clear advantage, in my opinion, in maintainability and resale value. Most major tractor dealers are willing to work on an N (although they are exceedingly simple to work on and several technical manuals are available) and the resale market is very dependable. Also, parts are readily available at retail (Tractor Supply stocks many common parts) and via mail order. No waiting for something to ship from China…literally.

On several occasions, I have seen the comment that “Chinese tractors are well built and will go for 10,000 hours.” Where is the documentation? This is easy to proclaim but is it documented? Also, I believe that the Chinese hour meter records hours any time the switch is on. Most American tractors record hours at the designed tractor working RPM’s, or about 1580 RPM’s for the N. Oh, speaking of endureance, Ford did a documented 15,000! hour endurance test on the N.

Since its hard to find someone who has actually put a lot of hour’s on a Jinma, one evidence of the potential reliability of the Jinma can perhaps be deduced from a few pictures of the factory. Take a look at this <A target="_blank" HREF=http://johnstractor.homestead.com/ChinaPics.html> link</A> from TBN member JohnS (which has provided a great site with lots of good information). Pay particular attention to the floor and the new engine in the crate. Notice all the dirt. I even think the factory floor IS dirt. Look at all the dust on the “new” engine. Imagine all that grime working it’s way down into carefully machined parts. Can’t be good for a brand new engine. These pics sure don’t inspire a lot of confidence in Jinma quality.

As far as factory support goes, you may also want to take a look at Schmalts’ comments over on the <A target="_blank" HREF=http://worldcrossing.com/WebX?50@209.fc0LdyY0xhv^0@.ef28268>the Chinese Tractor Owners Association (COTA)</A> board. I have worked with a Chinese factory in the past for other products and experienced similar frustrations. You get someone on the phone, explain in great detail what you want, they agree and you think everything is fine. When your shipment arrives, its nothing like what you expected. You get the guy back on the phone and you get an “oh, so sorry, did not understand” response. It’s common. I think it’s culturally accepted. We used to call this the Chinese acknowledgement. Just because the guy is nodding his head up and down or agreeing with you on the phone with a stream of “oks” only means he is hearing what you are saying…not agreeing with what you are saying (despite how it sounds, this is not meant as a racial slur…it just acknowledgment of a different way of “negotiating”).

I’m writing this to encourage anyone considering a Chinese tractor to think long and hard about your needs and tolerance for frustration. Make sure you read this site and CTAO. You may very well get a tractor that gives years of great service…however, you may also get a tractor with lots of quality control issues resulting in years of frustration. Caveat Emptor….Let the Buyer Beware.

/ Chinese Tractors Aren't Worth the Risk #2  
Re: Chinese Tractors Aren\'t Worth the Risk

marrt,

I am glad you took the time to research before deciding. As a past Jinma owner, and soon to be new Jinma owner I would like discuss this further.

If you have found a number of people who are very disappointed with their tractors, please have them email me. I would like to understand what their problems were. Would also like to confirm they were actually Jinma's and if so, have them fill out a survey.

As far as comparison to Ford 8Ns, I believe it has been on a technology level. No one that I know of, has claimed you can go down to a TSC and get parts. How many other tractors are surved by TSC? You get parts from many sources and dealers, but unless you have a local dealer, you will need to wait for UPS or Fedex guy. On rare occasions you might need a very uncommon part that it would be required to order it from China. Competition sets the prices for the parts, not the factory. Most parts are reasonable. I have also heard that a number of Jinma parts will be offered in a national catalog soon.

The factory pictures on my website that you refer to, is the old Jinma factory. All tractors being made today are coming from the new factory which you can see on the next page. I agree that the old factory looks dirty, but what did our US factories look like in the 50's? Probably not much better or even possibly worse.

You have characterized Jinma Dealers down to the lowest common denominator. i.e. the guy who sells them and walks away. I believe this to be unfair. There are many dealers that do provide all the service needed to their customers, and then some. NorTrac that you have mentioned, has a very good track record to date. You also started a heading of a post which includes all Chinese tractors, and then only discuss the Jinma.

I don't know of any 10,000 hour test done on a Jinma and wouldn't make that claim. The Jinma is an option to anyone that would normally only be able to look at used. Its in the same price range, and not everyone can find that gem of a used tractor in their area.

How you characterized dealing with the Chinese is about right. Dealing with any foreign country is a learning experience. This is something the dealer has to contend with, not the individual tractor buyer. BTW, how many issues occur between other tractor dealers and the factory? We have no idea, because it isn't posted anywhere. If you think there are no issues, that would not be realistic.

I agree that anyone looking at these tractors should thouroughly review their needs and evaluate if this tractor is right for them. You would want to listen to owners, as well.

/ Chinese Tractors Aren't Worth the Risk #3  

So based on your research so far, what brands/countries of manufacture do you like?

/ Chinese Tractors Aren't Worth the Risk #4  

I can see it now,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Marrt's next post heading will be,,, Power Trac isn't worth the risk,,,, since he is researching the PT now. I think that Marrt should just stick with his 8n and forget about upgrading. Since there isn't a compact tractor with an American made engine out there that I know of. I suppose that he is just going down the line to see how many people he can get riled up. I agree with Marrt that you don't always get what you pay for. His profile says that he is in marketing so he probably knows that to be a fact. If you only go by what the marketing dept. says about a product of any kind, chances are that you will never get what you pay for..
On another note,, I bought a new Cadillac Eldorado once, 2 miles on it. Sold it 2 years later with less than 2500 miles on it. It spent most of the two years that I had it in the shop. Biggest piece of junk that I ever owned. Also bought a Chev 3/4 p-up new. Rod started knocking at 8000 miles. It spent 4 months in the shop. At 12,000 miles I went out, started it up to go to work. A rod came out through the side of the block without warning. Do I think that all GM products ' aren't worth the risk '? NO... Had a Dodge Power Wagon that I drove for 17 years. Changed the clutch once, and a few u-joints and that is it. Do I think that all Chrysler products are great?? NO....

So there is good and bad in every product. You won't always get 'what you 'think' you are paying for'. So, Marrt, after the PT, don't forget the Mahindra. It is made in India. I'm sure that you will save the Japanese until last since you will be talking about the BIG 3 when you start on them.

Have a wonderful day and just put a loader on that 8n.

/ Chinese Tractors Aren't Worth the Risk #5  

I am also glad that you have taken the time to look at the JinMa tractors. Some of the things that we can agree on are they are inexpensive. They are easy to work on. They have a lot of features for the money. Some things we can agree on about ALL tractors are. They breakdown. Hasn't everyone heard of owners with nightmare stories about all the tractor brands? The difference to the owner is the dealer. The best machine is only as good as the experience one has with a dealer. So find one that you like. As for Chinese tractors, they make a lot of them. They will continue to make a lot of them. They will get better each year. And look at JohnS site for the NEW JinMa factory. China makes parts for all tractor makes. They make John Deere tractors. They make Buicks. They make Boing Aircraft parts. It is a new world.
John Nelson

/ Chinese Tractors Aren't Worth the Risk #6  

<font color=blue> BTW, I hope to sell that 8N soon as I really don't need a large tractor now.</font color=blue>

8n = LARGE TRACTOR... /w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif
I think that I am beginning to understand. You have an 8n that is too large. Everything that you think that 'isn't worth the risk' is already bigger than your 8n. Maybe you should visit your friendly local lawn mower dealer and stop looking at 'real' tractors. I think that a 'lawn tractor' is what you are looking for.

/ Chinese Tractors Aren't Worth the Risk #7  

I made the same observation about the original post - I'm not saying that I necessarily agree/disagree with the "evaluations" it contained, but I have a feeling, like you, that this will degrade rapidly in to bashing every other brand out there. I'm fully expecting 10 more posts titled " <insert brand here> isn't worth the risk".... /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

/ Chinese Tractors Aren't Worth the Risk #8  

Marrt's feelings are based on his own experience and observations. As a Chinese tractor dealer, I spend a good deal of time on the phone or answering emails from people who bought a Chinese tractor and then couldn't get parts or service. At least 1/3 of the people with Chinese tractors feel like Marrt with good reason. We've been in business for a long time with Chinese tractors as our main line. Therefore, people in our area are familiar with Chinese tractors and know that parts and service are available. The New Holland dealer is 2 miles away and they tell people everyday that there are no spare parts available anywhere for Chinese tractors(Even though they sold more Chinese tractors than Fords 10 years ago). My point here is that your Chinese tractor is only as good as the dealer you bought it from.

Long went through the same thing. At first Long dealers consisted of everything from used car lots to bait shops. The perception was that parts were hard to get and no one would service the tractors. Now, most Long dealers are full-blown tractor dealers and the perception is that parts and service are available.

Chinese tractors are better than they were 10 years ago. They are better than they were 3 years ago. Are they as reliable and finished as a 970 John Deere? No. Are they as reliable as a 3000 Ford was in 1971? Yes.

As far as dirt floors in the factory, they are dirty but not made of dirt. They new factory is cleaner, but it isn't as nice as the Ford assembly plant in KC. Right now, producing the product is more important than sweeping. The natural assumption for Americans is that if the floor is dirty, and the hood doesn't fit like a Ferrari, then the rod bearings must be made with a hammer and chisel and the transmission gears are made of clay.

Remember the old riddle about two barber shops? One is clean and white and the barber's hair is perfectly cut. The other shop is dark and dirty and the barber's hair looks like he cut it with a weed-eater. Where do you go? The dirty one. They cut each other's hair :)

/ Chinese Tractors Aren't Worth the Risk #9  

I believe that I read last month in the implament magazine that NewHolland now has a joint venture in a plant in China,Im sure they did their research,lots of people say similar things about the Korean tractors,Did you know that Mahindra in 1945 was formed to assemble the ever so famos Willys Jeep,1963 They formed a joint venture with IH to mfg tractors and develop the b275,needless to say this day and age their alot of players out their,that we know little about and have a large roll in producing machinery today,do your reaserch and buy what you feel comfortable with and use it safely.

/ Chinese Tractors Aren't Worth the Risk #10  

MikeStuart-

Again, I'll say that I don't necessarily agree/disagree with the specific points Marrt brought up - however there **seems** to be something else going on here.

I think the issue I have (and at least one other person on this thread) is that a similar post titled "Kioti isn't worth the risk" was put out there about a 3 weeks back. After seeing this "Chinese version" of the Kioti post, quite frankly I suspect the Kioti post had nothing to do with really inquiring about the +'s & -'s of Kioti, but was more about "stirring the pot."

Based on the past posts on this board, there is plenty of documentation about some of the pitfalls/issues regarding Chinese tractors (as with other brands). If someone is interested in purchase of a Chinese (or whatever brand) tractor, generally they post and then the replies come in (hopefully based on data instead of "feeling").

Despite the "disclaimer" in the original post in this thread, I simply don't believe that this post was started as a "community service" announcement but instead to try and see how many people could be "moved" to respond. Based on that, I just don't want this thread to degrade in to Chinese tractor owners feeling that they need to "Defend their Choice" as the Kioti thread did.

You can check out this link to the Kioti version of this thread and make the call yourself....

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=other&Number=126328&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=>Kioti isn't worth the risk</A>

Status
Not open for further replies.