cold starting

/ cold starting #1  

robert421960

Silver Member
Tractor
2014 Kubota L3301
good mornring
i have a farm pro 2425 i think that is right (25 hp 4wd)
every since i bought it i have trouble starting in in the cold weather
i turn the switch on to warm the manifold or whatever it warms i know it is working because it draws the amp meter way down when in this position
but it still cranks so slow it wont start the tractor
do they make a block warmer for these tractors?
i feel this would resolve my problem
Thanks
Robert

/ cold starting #3  
other things that help.
clean all connections good and get a better battery than the chinese one.

My tractor has the Y485 engine and is terrible in winter. If it's below 30 degrees might as well figure on plugging it in. The Katz heater Tommy mentioned does a very good job. It will warm the block up in about 2 hrs. Then it will start without even using the glow plugs.

/ cold starting #4  
For a stop gap solution just throw a tarp over the tractor and put a small electric heater under it for several hours. That should make many of the cold starting problems go away.:D

/ cold starting #6  
a different way to go is to use a heat lamp, shine it onto the injector pump and block side., I second the tarp over top, across the FEL arms, I set lamp under the tarp, lower rad hose heaters tommy has will work great too. I usually only start mine when big snows come around, and Keep a small trickle charger on there to keep battery full up. compression release works to, lighter oil in winter ect. all works well..

Mark

/ cold starting #7  
Put the lower hose heater on and you will not be able to figure out how you got along with out it. Just one word of caution, you still need to let the tractor warm up. What I do is go out and plug it in then 45 minutes later start the tractor and do something else like run the snow blower for 15 minutes or so while the tractor warms up.

Chris

/ cold starting
thanks for all your help
ill buy one of those heaters
Robert

/ cold starting #9  
but it still cranks so slow it wont start the tractor

Thanks
Robert

There are several things that could be causeing / effecting your starting problem.

A coolant heater in the lower radiator hose will no doubt help on those COLD starts.

Your statement that it cranks slow. The cranking speed can helped from having warm oil but, if you have a tired / weak battery .... electrical connection etc..... you still may experiance a starting problem even if you use or have compression release. Not all have it.

A quick check for the battery ....... Hook up a set of jumper cables and see if that will increase your cranking speed??

Ronald
Ranch Hand Supply

/ cold starting
i went home last night
it was about 35 outside
i took another advice and kept the glow plug on for alot longer then when cranking i used compression release and it did start
i still have slow cranking but it started
thanks to all again for your help
Robert