Block Heater install

/ Block Heater install #11  
...lower my cost.
That mindset all too often ends up costing more money in the long run. I've found that it doesn't pay to be cheap when it comes to maintaining (what I consider to be) a major investment. Having had quite a few years experience with Chinese rubber already (hoses/belts/tires), I strongly suggest you start saving now - for a new set of radiator hoses. Put them on the shelf as spares for now, you'll need them soon. May as well buy an extra gallon of anti-freeze too. Odds are you're gonna lose what's in there now.

While we're at it, does your engine parts manual indicate whether or not yours is a wet-sleeved or dry-sleeved engine? All 4 Chinese tractors I've owned were wet-sleeved, which means that a SCA type anti-freeze should be used. Cheapest around here is Final Charge 50/50, about $9/gal at Walmart.

//greg//

/ Block Heater install
It's good to get a warning about things. I will probably replace the hoses and belts over the summer. But for now it works. I used prestone this last time and just got the regular and mixed 1/2 water with it.

The funny thing was over the weekend I was so glad that it took a shorter time to warm up then usual, that I pulled out of my shack and took out the front post with the loader. Now I need to replace it.

/ Block Heater install
No, I don't have a manuel. But I have down loaded a copy from Daves Tractors. I will look for it.

/ Block Heater install
Did you understand my question about whether your engine is wet-sleeved or dry-sleeved?

Is a question like this the same as saying hey new guy grab those two wires for me.:eek: zap!

/ Block Heater install #16  
Is a question like this the same as saying hey new guy grab those two wires for me.:eek: zap!
No, it's a legit question. You said you diluted Prestone, which is what most folks use in a typical dry-sleeved engine. All four of my Chinese tractors are/were wet-sleeved however, which means regular Prestone would be the wrong kind of coolant (for me). For them a SCA (anti-cavitation) type coolant is recommended. It would help to know if yours was wet-sleeved as well, before the corrosion and pitting starts.

//greg//

/ Block Heater install
We had some really cold weather here last night/day. I turned on the block for about 20 min and she turned over on the second try. I tried her last night when it was -23 and she turned over. She was not happy but was getting warmed up.

SCA fluid sounds good to me. If it's good for other Chinese tractors then it's probably a recommendation.

/ Block Heater install
I think that now that I have looked at my Katz. I'm not sure what I did. But I know it was my fault some how. I pulled the cord (but it still have a 123 v charge to it.) They need a led on it. And some times I connected the cord to the wall with it plugged into extension cord. And I had to put it at a 4 oclock position for the top not the 5 -7 they want.

/ Block Heater install #20  
Greg G which engines did you have in your other tractors ?
Both Jinmas had the "1998" TPEM Y385. My
2006 TS354C has a pre-EPA Y485, and my
2004 KM454 has a FD395.
All are definitely sleeved, that part is evident from both the parts manuals and from adjusting valve lash. But until just now, I have never seen/heard/read anything to suggest that they were other than wet sleeved. That said, I've never had cause to take any of them down to the short block.

If there is no actual coolant contact with the Y85 series cylinder sleeves during the above year of manufacture, I stand corrected.

//greg//